Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Dang it's cold!

saddlepants

central Ohio
Does your house a manufactured home that is on a foundation with a basement? If it is than we can do some good things with it. If it is just a modular home than that kinda limits us on what efficiencies we can hit.

No basement, and that does suck. The furnace compartment is tiny but we are changing things in that area of the house. Laundry is getting moved to the master bath to open up more space in there, thats where the furnace is. I HATE having to contort myself to clean the coils. Only did that once. Its a Coleman furnace. The house is on a foundation though with a crawl space.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I haven't even turned our natural gas on yet. Spent $2000 about 4 years ago on our wood burner. Spent money on chain saw chains, a splitter, gas, oil, and my time to supply the heat ever since. Last year we did decide to turn it on just for the coldest 3-4 winter months. Probably do the same here soon and turn it on Jan-Mar. I will spend $25 minimum gas bill just for the backup plan for three months. Never know when you might have a problem or get laid up or something. Something to think about if you have the ability to do so and access to a steady source of firewood. Just a thought SP.

Coleman Furnace? Hmmm. . . .maybe Hoytmania can back me up here, but I am thinking you find a lot of these in Mobile home and modulars. I could very well be wrong. If so, they are generally not the friendliest furnaces to get parts for nor are they the most efficient things out there. I could be wrong, but I did spend a couple years in the supply business, have grown up around an uncle in the business, and have fiddled with a handful of furnace issues at our rental properties.

Huckleberry Finn

We're 2 weeks plus without the furnace working, and the electric baseboards just aren't cutting it! The guys were back again today and said that have a week of waiting, Carrier sent them the wrong part and Carrier doesn't even have the number of the part that ours needs. Real cool guys, actually real cold!

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Dang Huck, do you need us to send Cotty up to cuddle? Bet now you were wishing you hadn't left a clothing trail everywhere you go!