Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Cutting the Cord: Eliminating cable or satellite...

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Just called time warner to see what bill would be if only internet and home phone.

Current 30mb with phone is $55 + taxes/fees
50mb with phone is $75 + taxes/fees

Blan37

SW Ohio
Just called time warner to see what bill would be if only internet and home phone.

Current 30mb with phone is $55 + taxes/fees
50mb with phone is $75 + taxes/fees

There are other providers out there. There's usually others that don't cost as much as TWC that service the same area. We use cinci bell fioptics, internet only, and vonage for phone.

Try putting your zip code in here to see what you have in your area: http://internetprovidersbyzip.com/

Last edited:

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I just looked at a site that runs diagnostics on what channels you can get on antenna and the distance they are from you. Looks like I could be fugged. Only NBC is available within 25 miles. Going to buy a 50 mile antenna and test it out. If it sucks, I'll return it. If it works, DirectTV is losing a customer.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I wish I could get internet without being tied to data fees. I'd love to hook up farmer-vision and stream some stuff online but the data charges would likely kill me.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
We've got direct tv, and what we pay is ludacris. We went two years without a dish, but I couldn't stand not having sports. Now that there are more options on that front, I plan on canceling our dish, and streaming most of what we watch. Between Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime, I think we will be in pretty good shape.

I'm also gonna order one of these with a booster and see if we can pick up the Columbus and Charleston channels. It's a long shot, but the website has a 90 day return policy, so it's pretty much risk free.

https://www.antennasdirect.com/store/DB8e-Ultra-Long-Range-Outdoor-DTV-Antenna.html

There are some really handy websites out there for OTA channels, and checking your availability to them. If I get a chance later, I'll sign in on the laptop and find the one that shows and aerial of your area with a color coded heat map showing signal strength of each channel.

steveOh

Dayton Area
Just picked up a Mohu Leaf 30 to test out. It picked up 26 channels, I am about 11miles from the towers. Looking into Roku, Sling, Netflix and Hulu. Just don't know if I can live without my dvr!

CritterGitterToo

Central Ohio
If you have 10mb or better ISP then you can stream everything for free.

In June I bought a Kodi Media Player. To be specific I bought a Skystreamx media player. It comes pre-built with all the add-ons, bells and whistles. I can stream anything and pay nothing. In fact, I just started watching a Netflix original series, but I have never paid for a Netflix subscription. Why would I, when I can get it for free?

They make a lot of this content available to European markets via the web and there are no restrictions on whom may access it. Thus, I can watch NFL football, every movie under the sun, Sanford and Son, Sienfeld or whatever I want, whenever I want.

I made 1 time payment of $175.00. No cable or satellite cost for 6 months now. It has paid for itself already. Again, I don't even pay for Netflix or Hulu. I get ALL my content for free...........or 1 time pay of $175.00.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County

In June I bought a Kodi Media Player. To be specific I bought a Skystreamx media player. It comes pre-built with all the add-ons, bells and whistles. I can stream anything and pay nothing. In fact, I just started watching a Netflix original series, but I have never paid for a Netflix subscription. Why would I, when I can get it for free?

They make a lot of this content available to European markets via the web and there are no restrictions on whom may access it. Thus, I can watch NFL football, every movie under the sun, Sanford and Son, Sienfeld or whatever I want, whenever I want.

I made 1 time payment of $175.00. No cable or satellite cost for 6 months now. It has paid for itself already. Again, I don't even pay for Netflix or Hulu. I get ALL my content for free...........or 1 time pay of $175.00.

This has really got my ears perked up.... time to do some research. If you have an extra PC or laptop laying around it doesn't look like you even need to buy the box.

CritterGitterToo

Central Ohio
This has really got my ears perked up.... time to do some research. If you have an extra PC or laptop laying around it doesn't look like you even need to buy the box.

Yeah, you can download Kodi and run it to your tv. That works too. For me, I am not the most tech savvy, so I wanted a smooth running media player all set up. I didn't want to have to fool with it. There are cheaper versions. Just google Kodi media player.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Just keep in mind, that what you are doing is illegal. The player itself is not, but the software they run can be. If you are getting a paid service for free, there's always a chance you could get busted for it. Just keep that in mind, not condoning it, just wanting to make sure people are aware.

steveOh

Dayton Area
Just picked up a Mohu Leaf 30 to test out. It picked up 26 channels, I am about 11miles from the towers. Looking into Roku, Sling, Netflix and Hulu. Just don't know if I can live without my dvr!

Looking into a TiVo OTA for recording HTA channels???hmm:smiley_chinrub:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Yeah, you can download Kodi and run it to your tv. That works too. For me, I am not the most tech savvy, so I wanted a smooth running media player all set up. I didn't want to have to fool with it. There are cheaper versions. Just google Kodi media player.

There is even a flash for the amazon fire stick where you can load Kodi. Just look up fire stick hack and I believe it's a self contained installer with instructions. All the functionality of the fire stick like netflix, prime etc but it also installs Kodi.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I'm watching this post. It's great to be on here and see all the ideas and things you guys have thought of and tried. Some work and some don't. At least you can trust the posts here on TOO not like other sites where you have no idea if it's OK or just bad ass posting.

CritterGitterToo

Central Ohio

As a point of clarification, Kodi does have a list of approved Add-ons and repositories (like Apps). Pre-built media players may have installed add-ons prior to being banned. Something to be aware. Apparently, some of the banned add-ons are in violation of piracy regulations.

Cephas50

We moved from the Cincinnati area to rural NE Ohio (Wayne County) earlier this year. I've had a heck of a time finding someplace to hunt (surrounded by farmland/woodland, but no permission because I just don't know anyone yet), but that's for another thread.

When we moved we took the opportunity to cut the cord. I got a Roku and we stream Hulu, Netflix and Prime, as well as a lot of free channels. I figured I would get an antenna to pick up local OTA channels, but I don't have much of a signal out here. Closest feeds are Akron and Cleveland and I haven't been able to pick them up.

I tried the aforementioned Mohu Leaf and, even after moving it to a north-facing window in my attic, all I got was a televangelist that looked like he was having a seizure and a large woman knitting.

I've looked into SlingTV which is essentially streaming cable, a short list of popular channels at like $20/month (with add-on packages like sports or kids channels at $5 each/month) but after paying for internet and Hulu/Netflix/Prime I'm having trouble justifying another $20/month...

steveOh

Dayton Area
We moved from the Cincinnati area to rural NE Ohio (Wayne County) earlier this year. I've had a heck of a time finding someplace to hunt (surrounded by farmland/woodland, but no permission because I just don't know anyone yet), but that's for another thread.

When we moved we took the opportunity to cut the cord. I got a Roku and we stream Hulu, Netflix and Prime, as well as a lot of free channels. I figured I would get an antenna to pick up local OTA channels, but I don't have much of a signal out here. Closest feeds are Akron and Cleveland and I haven't been able to pick them up.

I tried the aforementioned Mohu Leaf and, even after moving it to a north-facing window in my attic, all I got was a televangelist that looked like he was having a seizure and a large woman knitting.

I've looked into SlingTV which is essentially streaming cable, a short list of popular channels at like $20/month (with add-on packages like sports or kids channels at $5 each/month) but after paying for internet and Hulu/Netflix/Prime I'm having trouble justifying another $20/month...

Did you get the Mohu Leaf 50 or 30?

Buckmaster

Portage
We have Dish Network. Basic plan, 4 TVs, 4 receivers, HD, and DVR About $130/mo.
We have No land phone line. No telephone poles either. All my lines are trenched a 1/4 mile to my home.
Excede Satellite for $ 60/mo. That's the only Internet available to me since I live in the sticks.

I think my problem with an antenna, Roku, Netflix, and Amazon conversion would be the fact I would be streaming data.
After I attain my monthly limit for internet I'm cut off for that month or need to buy more data which is a pain.

I'm not Tech savy but is there any other opportunities I'm missing here to "cut the cord"?

Cephas50

Did you get the Mohu Leaf 50 or 30?

I think it was the 50 but it was 8 months ago so I'm a little fuzzy on details. I know that it was amplified. I'm pretty confident that we are just too far out of range and the terrain doesn't help. I'm in Wooster, about 45 minutes SW of Akron and an hour S of Cleveland. I used to work in RF communications, so I'm familiar with a lot of signal propagation theory. The distance and terrain were just too much. I really think that my best bet would be an elevated directional antenna, but putting that together would eat whatever I saved on cutting the cord.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
We have Dish Network. Basic plan, 4 TVs, 4 receivers, HD, and DVR About $130/mo.
We have No land phone line. No telephone poles either. All my lines are trenched a 1/4 mile to my home.
Excede Satellite for $ 60/mo. That's the only Internet available to me since I live in the sticks.

I think my problem with an antenna, Roku, Netflix, and Amazon conversion would be the fact I would be streaming data.
After I attain my monthly limit for internet I'm cut off for that month or need to buy more data which is a pain.

I'm not Tech savy but is there any other opportunities I'm missing here to "cut the cord"?

Yeah if you have a data cap, streaming video is going to eat up a lot of it.