Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Coyotes Take Down 6-pointer

ohio
So kill them all or none? If we just take out a few we will end up screwing ourselves, find their dens and close them, or just take out the momma

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
This is a very interesting thread. No arguing. Nothing but different thoughts, theories, and opinions. What a great website!

I am siding with xbowgirl and Redcloud at this point. Their arguments (or opinions) seem to fit mine so far. Diane's arguments seem most logical to me. However, I realize in nature, sometimes what is logical is not always the way it is. Redcloud's points also make logical sense. As the deer population increased the available fawns for coyote snacks have increased. I think we are now seeing that increase across the board with specific areas showing a greater saturation of coyote numbers. As available fawns/food sources decrease, I believe we will see either a natural reduction of coyotes or an adaptation where they move into more residential areas.

My solution: Kill them each and every time I have the opportunity.

Edit: I think we are past the "as the deer population increased" part at this point. Hopefully, the coyote population begins it's decline now that the deer herd is smaller and the deer are able to rebound some.

Last edited:

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Is anybody reading this stuff?

http://www.predatordefense.org/docs/coyotes_letter_Dr_Crabtree_06-21-12.pdf
(5) Reductions (non-selective, indiscriminate killing of adults) cause an increase in the percentage of females breeding. Coyote populations are distinctly structured in non-overlapping but contiguous territorial packs. About 95% of the time, only one female (the dominant or alpha) in a pack breeds. Other females, physiologically capable of breeding, are "behaviorally sterile". Exploitation rates of 70% or higher are needed to decrease the number of females breeding in a given area. Either a subordinate female pack member, or an outside, lone female can be quickly recruited to become an alpha or breeding female. My research has shown that light to moderate levels of reduction can cause a slight increase in the number of territories, and hence the number of females breeding.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
And... I'm well aware that this research is coming from a website dedicated to defending predatory animals. It's not the only research out there that supports this data, though... It was just the easiest to find quickly.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Is anybody reading this stuff?

http://www.predatordefense.org/docs/coyotes_letter_Dr_Crabtree_06-21-12.pdf
(5) Reductions (non-selective, indiscriminate killing of adults) cause an increase in the percentage of females breeding. Coyote populations are distinctly structured in non-overlapping but contiguous territorial packs. About 95% of the time, only one female (the dominant or alpha) in a pack breeds. Other females, physiologically capable of breeding, are "behaviorally sterile". Exploitation rates of 70% or higher are needed to decrease the number of females breeding in a given area. Either a subordinate female pack member, or an outside, lone female can be quickly recruited to become an alpha or breeding female. My research has shown that light to moderate levels of reduction can cause a slight increase in the number of territories, and hence the number of females breeding.

I'm feelin' ya Jimmy - this is what Rexy was talking about, how they bounce back no matter what you do - he said that this is why the Feds gave up and said the war couldn't be won. Makes sense to me.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Yote to me are like this. They will have and hold however many in a pack that the food supply will allow. Higher the food amount the more yote you will have in the local pack. Food availability is the bigger trigger for the bitch to bread IMO. Without the food her health starts to go downhill and less pups would survive so in lean times less pups and in times of plenty she will bread till she ages out and is replaced as the alpha female by a younger one. You also have to remember that yote pups grow fast and are off mommas milk pretty quick. As soon as those pups are off the milk she can bread again and it wouldn't take but a nieghboring female in heat to cause her to back into heat. As long as the food is there they will mate and have pups. As soon as they see a decline in food source they will cast out and younger yotes will find a new place to call home and setup camp. Given how adaptable the yote is scary stuff.

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
They will have and hold however many in a pack that the food supply will allow. Higher the food amount the more yote you will have in the local pack. Food availability is the bigger trigger for the bitch to bread IMO. Without the food her health starts to go downhill and less pups would survive so in lean times less pups and in times of plenty she will bread till she ages out and is replaced as the alpha female by a younger one.

I agree with this. Young pup survival (and the number in the litter) is dependent upon the bitch's health.

epe

Lancaster
I read slight increase.... Who was it on here that was trapping a ton last year? I would like to hear how the populations are around the same areas now...

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Yote to me are like this. They will have and hold however many in a pack that the food supply will allow. Higher the food amount the more yote you will have in the local pack. Food availability is the bigger trigger for the bitch to bread IMO. Without the food her health starts to go downhill and less pups would survive so in lean times less pups and in times of plenty she will bread till she ages out and is replaced as the alpha female by a younger one. You also have to remember that yote pups grow fast and are off mommas milk pretty quick. As soon as those pups are off the milk she can bread again and it wouldn't take but a nieghboring female in heat to cause her to back into heat. As long as the food is there they will mate and have pups. As soon as they see a decline in food source they will cast out and younger yotes will find a new place to call home and setup camp. Given how adaptable the yote is scary stuff.

I agree with this. Young pup survival (and the number in the litter) is dependent upon the bitch's health.

For the most part, even though we have a shit-ton of 'yotes in Ohio, I'd be willing to bet that they are still far from reaching the carrying capacity of the land. There's a lot of food out there...

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
For the most part, even though we have a shit-ton of 'yotes in Ohio, I'd be willing to bet that they are still far from reaching the carrying capacity of the land. There's a lot of food out there...

Sadly, I would say you are correct. Only difference being in the winter. If there were plenty of food sources for them in the winter, we wouldn't hear about all the neighborhood cats and dogs coming up missing or scrambled pooches on the lawn for the kids to find. I hear about plenty of this in my area and I KNOW we don't have the number of coyotes other areas have.

mrex

*Supporting member*
I'm sorry, but I don't believe this for a minute. I think it is a wives tale. I've bred dogs for many years and have a good, basic understanding of it and am basing my thoughts on the fact that coyotes and dogs are in the same family, so to speak.

One of my Goldens had 11 pups on her first litter. 1st litters are usually smaller. By her 3rd litter, she had 15 pups. I deliberately kept some of her bloodline so I could continue to throw large litters as that is a trait that can be (and is) passed on.

However, I have had other Goldens that only throw an average of 8 pups per litter as do their subsequent offspring.

If there are more deer to eat, then more pups would survive because the mom is being kept healthy. If food is scarce, more pups die. Pups survival rate does depend upon the condition of their momma.

However, each bitch is predetermined to have X amount of pups. Some lines just have the trait of large litters.

If she has say 8 pups and suddenly several coyotes are killed off, then her next litter consists of 11 pups, that doesn't mean she compensated due to coyotes being killed off. It means she reached a better breeding age. As she gets older, her litter size will start to decline, sometimes as low as 4 per litter instead of her normal 8. (Just making up coyote litter size here as an example.)

Just my opinion.

I say kill them all.

The point I was making to Adam was that by reducing the number of coyotes in an area, you help to increase the amount of prey which in tern increases the availability of food for the remaining dogs. Better nutrition = larger litter size. It's a never ending struggle.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I actually saw a doe with three fawns Saturday evening! That hasn't happened to me in years! I can't help but wonder if the relatively few yotes I snared off that farm helped, or if we have one super-doe that has figured out how to keep her babies alive. Either way, it was great to see.

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
The point I was making to Adam was that by reducing the number of coyotes in an area, you help to increase the amount of prey which in tern increases the availability of food for the remaining dogs. Better nutrition = larger litter size. It's a never ending struggle.

Better nutrition would definitely equal larger litter size in terms of survival. There would be less stillborn pups and more would survive the nursing stage due to plenty of milk from the bitch.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Even though it's a fight we can't win, it's a fight we should still wage.

The popularity of predator hunting is on the rise...I think for some minimum $$$ invested the ODNR should do some marketing encouraging more hunters to focus on coyotes to help boost it along. Make it cool to hunt yotes as a primary focus.

War on Yotes.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Even though it's a fight we can't win, it's a fight we should still wage.

The popularity of predator hunting is on the rise...I think for some minimum $$$ invested the ODNR should do some marketing encouraging more hunters to focus on coyotes to help boost it along. Make it cool to hunt yotes as a primary focus.

War on Yotes.

Sounds good to me Dan!

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Keep me safe.JPG

Tugs at your heart, don't it?
Give her a name, make her the poster child for the anti yote campaign...could do a whole series

Want venison on your table? Kill a coyote....

Last edited:

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
The cute little fawn would have even non-hunters wanting rid of coyotes. Add a couple of kitten and puppy posters with it and bingo!