Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Coyote kills of 2014…pic and DRT count

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
One shot. No recovery. Fur and fecal matter at impact site. Just couldn't find it. Dead or not, I am satisfied. Sitting at set number two of the morning. Maybe I can drop one in its tracks for better pictures for you guys.

Started with female howl. Waited in between each call several minutes hoping for vocal response. Went to female invitation. Heard birds and critters getting nervous and the occasional crunch of ice. Expected something eventually. Ice crunches grew closer when I turned volume down and went to fawn bleats. After 15-20min of nothing I switched to cottontail distress. Played 15-30seconds and waited. Spotted one under 30yds and waited. It eased in. Threw nose up while watching wholly booley decoy. Closed within 10-15yds. Couldn't move. Caller had been silent for awhile. I tried to move twice but in extreme cold the swivels on my sling were noisy. Tried twice. When coyote decided to leave I lifted rifle and swung my sights to take aim. Squeezed off a round and it gone. Good hit it appeared. Just couldn't find it. View attachment 28426View attachment 28427

If you hit it at all there should have been some blood in the snow..I think you just scared the shit out of him Phil...lol

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
It is just too fuggin cold to call hunt right now. Went to a new property a couple nights ago for my first sit....30 mph gusts and -3 sucked.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
It is just too fuggin cold to call hunt right now. Went to a new property a couple nights ago for my first sit....30 mph gusts and -3 sucked.

Yep...that's why you gotta get out and walk for them...these all came the last 4 days. I would say they are at peak breeding right now...they are paired up right now.

yotehunter

spencerville oh
IMG_20131229_161650.jpgIMG_20140117_153459.jpgIMG_20140304_153953.jpgIMG_20150116_153957.jpgIMG_20150116_153948.jpg0216151359_0001-1.jpgThese are a few of the 36 we killed last year and 19 that we have so far this year. The one with my boy in is one we snared yesterday. And the one with the dog and chainsaw is one we had to cut out of a snow blowed and ice covered ditch that the dog went in after.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
What kind of loads are you guys shooting out of your shotguns for these things? I know you guys have killed some of them at long range for a shotgun, so I'm curious what you're shooting. If I remember right, you guys have killed them at 60+ yards right?

yotehunter

spencerville oh
What kind of loads are you guys shooting out of your shotguns for these things? I know you guys have killed some of them at long range for a shotgun, so I'm curious what you're shooting. If I remember right, you guys have killed them at 60+ yards right?

Brock my set up is a 870 with a 34 inch hasting wadlock barrel with mod choke shooting 3in 00 buck. Many are shot closer to 80 yards then 60. We used to use 4 buck when we had more fox then coyotes but anymore its all 00 or 000. The 4 buck worked decent but they just wasn't enough for the big males.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra

All we shoot is 4 BUCK and we have knocked several down out to 75 to 90 yds. But we are also shooting 1187 Remingtons with full chokes, and 3 inch loads.

Our next case that we buy I might go for some 000 or 00 Buck to mix in with the 4 buck.

Last edited:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Oops. Went to verify the scope on my AR tonight. Grabbed a box of Hornady Vmax and opened it up. Quickly realized this is NOT what I had in my magazine. Went back to the ammo can to open another box. Fiocchi 55gr PSP is what I had in the magazine when I shot that coyote. Anyone have any experience with these on an animal? I am thinking PSP is Poly Soft Point but it appeared to be more like a soft tipped lead. I do not think they are intended to expand inside an animal. Good news? I figured it out and shot some killer groups off the BogPod rest at 25yds and 100yds tonight with the Hornady rounds. I am ready to call again!

yotehunter

spencerville oh
Oops. Went to verify the scope on my AR tonight. Grabbed a box of Hornady Vmax and opened it up. Quickly realized this is NOT what I had in my magazine. Went back to the ammo can to open another box. Fiocchi 55gr PSP is what I had in the magazine when I shot that coyote. Anyone have any experience with these on an animal? I am thinking PSP is Poly Soft Point but it appeared to be more like a soft tipped lead. I do not think they are intended to expand inside an animal. Good news? I figured it out and shot some killer groups off the BogPod rest at 25yds and 100yds tonight with the Hornady rounds. I am ready to call again!
PSP is pointed soft point I have used some of them but never a Fiocchi. The rate of expansion is related to the density of the copper jacket with a soft point. They seem to very from bullet makers. Berger makes a decent one as does Sierra. The Sierra sxsp is probably the most explosive bullet I've shot. I've never seen one exit a critter I've killed with them. I've blowed damn near the whole rib cage out of a entrance hole of a coyote with a sxsp. The down fall to them is the can be loaded too hot and will decinegrate in humid heavy air. As we talked before you can't go wrong with a Hornady especially the v max. Accurate and they blow up very well.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Thanks Jake. Might need to look them up. I was so close. . .Might not have gotten great expansion out of any of them. Wish I had time to drop the 223 and pick up the 12g on my left. Coyote exited right though.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Not a coyote kill but I found this yearling this morning. It wasn't in the field yesterday so the yotes killed it last night. My buddy and I will be hunting these Fugger's this weekend.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1424453513189.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1424453513189.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 121

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Second one in a week. She dropped in her tracks. I am blaming the one I didn't find (shot at 30-40yds) on the bullet. Certainly couldn't have been the trigger man. Lmao

40# female. 100yd shot roughly. 80-120yd to be safe. Didn't step it off. She was rubbed a bit. Hornady vmaxx performed like a champ. She was running with another. Presumably a male. She was the one who made the mistake of stopping to look.

uploadfromtaptalk1424656151734.jpguploadfromtaptalk1424656179819.jpguploadfromtaptalk1424656246991.jpguploadfromtaptalk1424656280578.jpguploadfromtaptalk1424656326465.jpg

yotehunter

spencerville oh
IMG_2009029778003.jpegHere is three more dead ones from today with the dogs. And they killed another one yesterday while I was at work. I believe these make 21 22 and 23 so far this year.