Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Could you kill these?

Lundy

Nope, Couldn't do it. Too old and soft to kill just to kill anymore, even coyotes.

Don't look down on you guys for your views at all, just not my way anymore.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Fugg, I could not do it. I can't even kill a coon. :tantrum: I think the only animal I would kill to just kill it would be a full grown coyote.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I think I could no problem. Never had problem killing animals that were a nuisance. As far as coons go, kill those bastards too they raid a lot of turkey nests, and can really put a hurting on a turkey population.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I think I could no problem. Never had problem killing animals that were a nuisance. As far as coons go, kill those bastards too they raid a lot of turkey nests, and can really put a hurting on a turkey population.
I know, I'm a wuss.:smiley_depressive:

at1010

*Supporting Member*

Sorry, was not trying to call you out! I just hate coyotes, and coons! I think they are pieces of shit, and I cannot wait to catch coons in footholds this fall.

That being said, I do not get pleasure out of taking anythings life, but I get pleasure knowing that I am helping out other animals, especially ones that need some helping now a days it seems like. I think that if you enjoy taking somethings life, you might want to see a doctor. I have had friends who could kill things with a knife, or bat in a foothold. Now that is something I do not think I could do. My one buddy spine shot a doe two years ago, instead of shooting it again he just jumped down, got on its back and slit its throat, it bled out super fast, but just something I dont think I could do myself.

Huckleberry Finn

Ah, the classic "slit the throat" discussion! One of my favs!!!

I'm still a "put another slug or arrow" into the deer kinda guy, but I can see (actually, it'd be after dark when you can't see) when you'd have to do what you had to do I'll just say that when the moment of truth came in my young archery career, Stevo was with me...

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio

I find nothing wrong with this stance or Lundy's stance. First time I started hunting was on my own at an earlier stage in my life. SHot a squirrel once and the thing flopped around terrible. Knocked it out of the tree, but didn't kill it. I was using a 12g. I shot it again. There was nothing left to eat and I walked away from hunting for about 10 years. I am older and at a different place in life now. I look at things differently and enjoy the time out there as much (if not more) than the moment of truth. I enjoy taking in all of nature. For this reason, I feel i would be able to finish the coyote pups. IN less than 12mo they will be depleting many of nature's other fine offerings I have grown to enjoy moreso over the years. Maybe my heart would keep me from pulling the trigger at close range if I walked up on them? I don't know. I don't think so, but I guess I won't know until this moment is in front of me. Where I am sitting right now, I say I would not hesitate and I feel this is true.

You are not alone Mike. I don't think too many will "call you a wuss" for this stance.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
I wouldnt shoot them. Nothing against any of you guys that would. Maybe in my younger more bloodthirsty days I would have, but not now. I would shoot their parents without even thinking twice though....there is something about newly born animals that I just couldnt shoot them for the heck of it. Kill the mother or the father, but not the babies.

MandRroofing

In the woods
Yea I'm still on the fence.I guess I need to be in that situation before I decide .also if I did shoot them I rather shoot them with a gun and not a bow 4 a more insured quick kill...

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I wouldnt shoot them. Nothing against any of you guys that would. Maybe in my younger more bloodthirsty days I would have, but not now. I would shoot their parents without even thinking twice though....there is something about newly born animals that I just couldnt shoot them for the heck of it. Kill the mother or the father, but not the babies.

I'm not bloodthirsty. Bloodthirsty implies the need to kill anything as long as killing is being done... I just honestly believe yotes have zero value. Like cockroaches or leeches. Just as you wouldn't hesitate to stomp a roach in your house with absolute malice, i wouldn't hesitate to shoot a litter of yote pups or pour kerosene in their den.. Sure they eat mice etc, but some other non fawn and turkey eating creature will make up for it. Killing yotes saves other critters. A breeding pair of yotes can kill up to 12 fawns. Then look at those 8 pups knowing they will be breeding next year. It's the end of the line.

Last edited:

Monster Raxx

Minnesota
I just had some one post this pic in my trail camera contest. He did say he forgot to set the date and time. This was just a few days ago. If this doesnt make you want to shoot every coyote I dont know what would.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'm not bloodthirsty. Bloodthirsty implies the need to kill anything as long as killing is being done... I just honestly believe yotes have zero value. Like cockroaches or leeches. Just as you wouldn't hesitate to stomp a roach in your house with absolute malice, i wouldn't hesitate to shoot a litter of yote pups or pour kerosene in their den.. Sure they eat mice etc, but some other non fawn and turkey eating creature will make up for it. Killing yotes saves other critters. A breeding pair of yotes can kill up to 12 fawns. Then look at those 8 pups knowing they will be breeding next year. It's the end of the line.

:smiley_clap:

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Sorry jesse didnt know it has been discussed before not trying to start a debate!