Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Change coming to Ohio life time license

jwiley77

Thanks for that link, answered all my question very clearly.

Not to be a dick, but it looks like you should just wait to hit that senior age and pay the ransom then.

Seriously gonna hate paying $75-100 for a deer tag! But it’s coming folks...
When I lived in Idaho they tried that method, rose the tag price way up, purchased tags became nearly non existent, they dropped the fee after two years.
I would be willing to wager Ohio reads into that oversight on the wording and makes attempts to correct that to residential only, most states that lifetime license becomes void once you claim residency in another state, mostly because they will lose a tremendous amount of revenue, but also because the folks that stay in Ohio will go up in arms when those fees sky rocket because there is a loop hole to not have to pay NR fees and every Chuck and Tom that can find a way to claim residency will and then bail.
Paying $400 for an Idaho elk tag just don't sit well with me so I'll just hang on to my memories of it and chase whitetails from a tree stand.
Used to be a time when hunting was a relaxing way to reconnect with nature, thanks to big hunting marketing and political greed, it's honestly just another thing in life to look at as some sort of distorted chore.

eloucha

Columbus Ohio
When I lived in Idaho they tried that method, rose the tag price way up, purchased tags became nearly non existent, they dropped the fee after two years.
I would be willing to wager Ohio reads into that oversight on the wording and makes attempts to correct that to residential only, most states that lifetime license becomes void once you claim residency in another state, mostly because they will lose a tremendous amount of revenue, but also because the folks that stay in Ohio will go up in arms when those fees sky rocket because there is a loop hole to not have to pay NR fees and every Chuck and Tom that can find a way to claim residency will and then bail.
Paying $400 for an Idaho elk tag just don't sit well with me so I'll just hang on to my memories of it and chase whitetails from a tree stand.
Used to be a time when hunting was a relaxing way to reconnect with nature, thanks to big hunting marketing and political greed, it's honestly just another thing in life to look at as some sort of distorted chore.
True they might changed in couple years when no one buy It time and secret elevation might deer turn to be elk.

jwiley77

Not to be condescending, but if you think of hunting as a chore it may be time to find another pastime.

I'm too old to consider buying a LT license. I only hunt my property for deer and turkey and don't buy tags. I still buy a license every year just to hunt groundhogs on occasion.
I think back 30 years ago to hunting with my papaw and I think back from age 8 as the years have progressed all the changes in hunting, the rules, the bickering, all the awful things marketing the outdoors has done to hunting, it pained me to leave Idaho and all the traditional things that the state enforces with hunting, actually requiring people to take bow hunters education to be able to hunt with a bow.
I do not look at hunting as a chore, I do however have great distain for the burocracy behind todays DNR and the hoops we jump through. You can call it doing what you love, that it comes at a price. And while I do agree to an extent, the fact remains that we as hunters, stewards of the land, pay more for tags, licenses, and means to hunt than the state truly needs, and that is the chore I speak of, that we work so much harder every year to do what we love and always asked more of.

Reactions: Jackalope

Bigcountry40

Not to be condescending, but if you think of hunting as a chore it may be time to find another pastime.

I'm too old to consider buying a LT license. I only hunt my property for deer and turkey and don't buy tags. I still buy a license every year just to hunt groundhogs on occasion.
Like jwiley said in his follow up post, chore may not have been the proper word, but the amount a shit one deals with to hunt anymore can be exhausting. Horton if I am not mistaken are you considering selling your land and had some troubles with neighboring hunting in the past, that kind of stuff right there can be exhausting itself, now throw in huge fees on tags, etc.

Bigcountry40

I dont know if paying $75 to 100 for a resident deer tag would be a bad thing, it might eliminate a lot of the turd hunters and make people think twice about shots, deer selection etc. I wonder if the amish would pay it?

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I dont know if paying $75 to 100 for a resident deer tag would be a bad thing, it might eliminate a lot of the turd hunters and make people think twice about shots, deer selection etc. I wonder if the amish would pay it?
Yeah I'd be pissed about a $75-100 deer tag, and the Amish have more money than you think.

Reactions: jwiley77
Like jwiley said in his follow up post, chore may not have been the proper word, but the amount a shit one deals with to hunt anymore can be exhausting. Horton if I am not mistaken are you considering selling your land and had some troubles with neighboring hunting in the past, that kind of stuff right there can be exhausting itself, now throw in huge fees on tags, etc.

Yes, I have contemplated selling my property, but that is due to physical reasons that have made it difficult to properly maintain it.

I do have my issues with a group of hunters coming from out of state and killing lots of area does. And, no I'm not anti NR hunters. But, lets be honest, I've said it before, I'm not a big fan of shooting does. Yes, I've shot a few over the years, I'm no biologist, but I do know bucks do not bear fawns.

I've never found hunting to be exhausting mentally. I have never had a problem finding multiple properties to hunt on. I bought my property ,because it fit my physical limitations to a tee, not to save a few dollars on tags.

If I could plunk down $150-$200 for a second buck tag every year I wouldn't hesitate to do it. And I know quite a few fellow hunters that pursue bucks only that would do the same.

Reactions: eloucha

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]wtf!

He's not wrong. Leasing is big in the south. You can find a lease for anywhere between $200 a year to 20k a year. There are also a lot of equity share clubs where a group of people buy a property on a share basis. I saw one earlier that was 4k acres 1of 22 shares for 150k. 12 food plots, elevated blinds, and a small cabin. The vast majority of land is leased in clubs that are widely available, easy to find, and affordable depending on your budget. Something else you don't have to deal with is some new shithead that a landowner let hunt, kicked off because his grandson wants to hunt, people stepping on your shit, etc. Make land access much more available and easier to manage under a common goal. If you do find land that isn't leased odds are it ain't worth hunting or its family owned land that you can't hunt.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isaacorps

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
I can't imagine finding 22 like minded hunters. If I'm plunking down 150K I own all the shares. Leasing is here to stay whether we like it or not.

That’s nothing compared to prices around here down south. Delta land is high as giraffes snatch.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
That’s nothing compared to prices around here down south. Delta land is high as giraffes snatch.
Grew up in the Ms delta. Could sit on the porch and hear the drone of tugs shoving barges up the MS over 5 miles away.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I can't imagine finding 22 like minded hunters. If I'm plunking down 150K I own all the shares. Leasing is here to stay whether we like it or not.

The rules are very well documented and ran on the same premise as a board with motions and votes. I'm not going to say there's never disagreements or drama, but for the most part everyone is in agreement. The 150k buys you the share and the cabin, the yearly due is still around $2,500. Now that's the high end of hunting leases which are managed like your local country club. Well taken care of trails, lush plots, insulated and heated elevated blinds, some even have a pool and things for the family to do around camp. Think of it like a KOA campground with good hunting land. Lol. A lot of people spend every weekend down at the club with their family. There are also regular leases where its just a yearly due and permission.