Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Brock goes hunting

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Awesome updates Brock!! You're having a blast by the sounds of things. Can't wait for you to run an arrow though one of these beasts!! Good luck buddy.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Every time I see this thread I keep hoping to see a slob of a buck dead and you sitting behind it. Glad you are seeing some good bucks and getting a feel for their activity man. Hope to see a pic here this weekend buddy.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I always enjoy checking out your journal Brock! You are definitely in the thick of things right now! I like to hear you getting aggressive and taking the fight to them. Setting up in the CRP sounds like a great move IMO! Take a small chair and head on a swivel. Good luck in the morning buddy! This could end up being the best hunt of your life!

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Well boys the boredom of hunting without a vantage is about to kill me. I'm in the CRP, the deer are not. Before sunup I did hear two fighting followed shortly by a buck grunting. I heard 'em walk through the crp 30-40 yds to my west. Couldn't see a dang thing due to dark. The wait continues.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I wish, Phil. The ones under my stand were all I saw. I'll be back in it in the morning. At least I can see the things from my perch.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I went back to Fayette today. I saw a buck laying in the middle of the tractor path via the beam of my magic flashlight. I kept the light on him, continued walking and dug my camcorder out of my jacket pocket. I walked up to 15 yds or so, filmed him as he finally stood up and walked into a woodlot. The pic below is him, obviously.

After climbing my stand and waiting for daylight, I saw a doe and fawn behind me. They walked past my stand on the down wind side at about 25 yards. The doe became alert, starting sniffing and looking, licking her nose, head bobbing for several minutes before finally continuing on with her fawn in tow. I could have shot her a dozen times, but she was more curious than most when she smelled that smokey blob in the tree. She looked to be a fairly young doe, not a lot bigger than the fawn, really. She had a double throat patch. I took pics of a fawn last year that had one, so it may well have been the same deer.

Shortly after they left, a pretty nice buck came running across a cut cornfield as if he had someplace to be. I couldn't say for sure if I'd shoot him even after watching the video at home, but he looks decent. A bit later, I watched a really good buck running the heck out of a doe about a mile away. The video was useless, but I could see him fairly well through my binoculars...he looked good. Saw a couple more small bucks wandering around before I had to climb down about 830 to get home. Mason woke up sick today, so I had to get there asap. Another short sit in the tree. I didn't see any of the usual does around, which seems typical at this time of year...they seem to hunker down vs wandering around in a group, probably due to the constant harassment.

Back at it in the morning if the weather is decent.

Attachments

• Madison-20131106-01160.jpg
    Madison-20131106-01160.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 137

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Yes, Seth. We will be there at 10 am on Saturday. Marsha was in last night and I got him all signed up. We will probably hunt the Ross Co property early before heading over. Will you be there?

LonewolfNopack

The woods
I cant remember if I told them I would help or not, but probably will.:smiley_bril: If so I will hunt behind my house in the morning since its a 5 minute drive. It looks like it is suppose to be windy. I am hunting Friday in Highland county and if I see something that makes me wanna stay I wont be there on Saturday.