Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Brand new trapper

Bushmaster16

Yeah, also got some duke DPs this morning. Do I need to wax and dye them? I've seen plenty of people get plenty of coons without doing that

youngbuck

Welcome Bushmaster16, I'm also new at trapping but when I got my dps I didn't wax or dye them, I don't think scent matters much with coons. Sardines work great in them and good luck!

Bushmaster16

Got these for Christmas, wish I could set them while I'm still on break but I leave for vacation in a few days.

image.jpg

Bushmaster16

I wouldn't wax and die. A coon will polish it up first catch.

Alrighty, I will let you guys know what success I have whenever I do get them set because I won't be able to trap for about a week. Again thanks to everyone for the help and advice, I love this forum:smiley_crocodile:

Diablo54

Outside
Alrighty, I will let you guys know what success I have whenever I do get them set because I won't be able to trap for about a week. Again thanks to everyone for the help and advice, I love this forum:smiley_crocodile:

Let them sit outside and rust for a few days.

Bushmaster16

Well it has been a while since I've set any traps, but I set my only 2 DPs yesterday and got these! There are my second and third coons of the season ( and life ).

IMG_0288.JPGIMG_0289.JPG

Ricer2231

Way to go! I have been live trapping here at home and I have caught nine coon so far. I have been switching my baits up between sardines in water and kool aid mix sprinkled on white bread. When I use the sardines I always drizzle the water out in front of the trap and make a trail to the back of the trap like was mentioned before.

Last edited:

Titanfreak9

St. Marys
I always did real well with canned tuna. I would take the can opener and cut two half-inch cuts parallel to each other on the lid. Just enough so the scent of rotting tuna could escape, but not enough for any animal to actually eat the tuna. I reused one can for two months in a live trap catching raccoons and possums.