Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Bowmar Buck 2018 Ohio Monster

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
When I was younger and shot in a lot of tournaments, I’d practice for hours everyday and could shoot baseball sized groups consistently at 60 yards. I’d practice at 100 yards so that 60 yards would feel like a chip shot. In no way would I ever consider a shot at a live target past 40 yards. Too many variables that could end bad. An arrow is very slow when compared to a bullet, and a lot can happen in the time it takes for the arrow to leave the rest until it hits its target. No doubt he got himself a great deer, and it took skill to pull it off...but there was luck involved also. Had that deer taken just one step at the time of release, could’ve ended up a gut shot.

Reactions: Fletch

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Ahhh gotcha. I don't read it at all like that, that's why I asked. I don't read too much into people pushing their own agenda, we all do it one way or another and the hunting industry has been this way for ohhhhh...at least a decade now? I know nothing of the guy outside of the UA debacle.

That said, to each his own. It comes down to confidence in equipment, ability and the environment. He obviously felt confident taking the shot and made a good one at that if the deer expired at 15yrds. What one hunter wouldn't do, another or lots might. That's the beauty about the sport and it's a heck of shot and a heck of a trophy. I don't know if I could hold off on a shot on a buck of a lifetime if I felt good about it. My limit is 50, another 20yrds is nothing if you are practicing for it. I wouldn't' hesitate to take a 1,000yrd shot with the right rifle caliber, game, and environment. Some people may stop at 500, so be it. The video will tell the story on the ethics of it from an environmental standpoint. Risk vs. reward is waged everyday and will continue to be done.

Congrats to this guy on one heck of a buck!

Jamie

Ohio
I'm with Jesse. I had the same reaction when I read his post about the yardage. Practiced 1000 times or a million, I don't think it's an ethical shot on a whitetail and I think he knows it too... Which is likely why he felt he needed to justify it.

I think it's obviously a great deer, and I wish this guy the best. But I've watched videos on his YouTube channel and I can't stand the dude. To me he comes off as douchey and fake, and epitomizes everything about the deer hunting industry that I hate.
X10

Jim, what you accomplished this season is considerably more impressive than what this guy did. Sure, that is an incredible specimin of a whitetail buck, but it is easy to see the alterior motives through his thin veil of phony humility. When I see stories like this I wonder how many deer like that get arrows or bolts shot at them from distances like that and take it in the guts and are never seen again.

rsmith

I get what some of you are saying about yardage being very far and stuff but just because some people aren’t comfortable and confident at taking a shot at that yardage doesn’t mean the next person isn’t. People shoot elk, mule deer, and pronghorn at yardages 60+ yards all season long and no one bats an eye. A guy shoots a whitetail at 67 and people say that it was too far of a shot and it was unethical. But I bet you 100 to 1 if you had that deer standing at 67 yards you would dial your sight in and let one fly as well.

Secondly, yes they are sponsored athletes that make their living hunting along with owning and managing 2 other companies. This deer will most likely be used as a lot of advertisement with a lot of name dropping of his equipment used to shoot this deer. If you were in his shoes and shot a deer that big you would be doing the same thing to pick up more money from sponsors and help your family be better off as well.

Just my 2 cents about that.

rsmith

I'll take that bet. I put up $1000. Private message me as to where to send your $100,000. Some of us have our limits and stick to them regardless of antler size.

I think 67 yards is a stretch, at least, but that is just my opinion. He was good or lucky, either way that is a stud.

I meant out 100 people 1 person would actually not take that shot. But either way, saying and doing is 2 different things and most would say they wouldn’t until the opportunity arises. Again, not saying you, I’m saying in general.

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
I get what some of you are saying about yardage being very far and stuff but just because some people aren’t comfortable and confident at taking a shot at that yardage doesn’t mean the next person isn’t. People shoot elk, mule deer, and pronghorn at yardages 60+ yards all season long and no one bats an eye. A guy shoots a whitetail at 67 and people say that it was too far of a shot and it was unethical. But I bet you 100 to 1 if you had that deer standing at 67 yards you would dial your sight in and let one fly as well.

Secondly, yes they are sponsored athletes that make their living hunting along with owning and managing 2 other companies. This deer will most likely be used as a lot of advertisement with a lot of name dropping of his equipment used to shoot this deer. If you were in his shoes and shot a deer that big you would be doing the same thing to pick up more money from sponsors and help your family be better off as well.

Just my 2 cents about that.
If you’re betting me, you would loose that bet. I know people can and do take long shots at game, but there are too many variables that come into play. As I stated earlier, I used to shoot competition archery for many years. Ranges were between 15-80 yards. Perfect score was 560. I would ALWAYS shoot between 554-558. Never got a perfect score but was as close as you could get. Nightly coon shoots a perfect score was 280...I’d shoot 278-280. I was very confident and cocky. While hunting with friends, we did a deer drive during archery season. We wouldn’t blow the deer out of there like gun season, just walk quietly through the woods and get the deer moving. I’m on the edge of a field and this huge 8 pointer (140’s) runs along the opposite side of the field and stops. I range him at exactly 80 yards. I draw back, anchor, and touch the release. Just as I released, the deer took two steps forward. My arrow hit exactly where I wanted, but the deer wasn’t there. It was perfect height and missed his ass by inches. Thank god I didn’t hit him! Taught me a lesson about not taking a shot at a living creature unless he is close enough to minimize the chance of a poor hit if the deer takes a step. No one is perfect and I’ve missed shots at deer and wounded a few, but I’ve learned from my mistakes. I’ve learned not to shoot at a deer when he is looking at me or on full alert. Too much stuff that could go wrong. I’ve learned to make sure my clothing won’t interfere with my bow string. I’ve learned to keep proper form when hunting from an elevated position...bending at the waist instead of lowering your bow arm. I was sure when I took that shot at that buck that I was capable...and I was...just saying that there are other factors that come into play and I wouldn’t sleep well knowing that my arrogance led to a deer being gut shot and suffering an agonizing death. Everyone has their self imposed limits. I wouldn’t shoot at a 200” buck at 67 yards. I’m sure there are some that would. I’d pass and hope to get a chance another day. Plus, just knowing that caliber of deer was out there would make me hunt that much harder.

rsmith

Atheletes ? What sport?

The word “athlete” is defined as a person proficient in sports or other physical exercise. They look to fit the description to a athlete to me as they are proficient hunters, and hunting includes physical exercise because they hunt not only Ohio but spot and stalk out West so [emoji1745]‍[emoji3603]

Reactions: Clay Showalter

rsmith

If you’re betting me, you would loose that bet. I know people can and do take long shots at game, but there are too many variables that come into play. As I stated earlier, I used to shoot competition archery for many years. Ranges were between 15-80 yards. Perfect score was 560. I would ALWAYS shoot between 554-558. Never got a perfect score but was as close as you could get. Nightly coon shoots a perfect score was 280...I’d shoot 278-280. I was very confident and cocky. While hunting with friends, we did a deer drive during archery season. We wouldn’t blow the deer out of there like gun season, just walk quietly through the woods and get the deer moving. I’m on the edge of a field and this huge 8 pointer (140’s) runs along the opposite side of the field and stops. I range him at exactly 80 yards. I draw back, anchor, and touch the release. Just as I released, the deer took two steps forward. My arrow hit exactly where I wanted, but the deer wasn’t there. It was perfect height and missed his ass by inches. Thank god I didn’t hit him! Taught me a lesson about not taking a shot at a living creature unless he is close enough to minimize the chance of a poor hit if the deer takes a step. No one is perfect and I’ve missed shots at deer and wounded a few, but I’ve learned from my mistakes. I’ve learned not to shoot at a deer when he is looking at me or on full alert. Too much stuff that could go wrong. I’ve learned to make sure my clothing won’t interfere with my bow string. I’ve learned to keep proper form when hunting from an elevated position...bending at the waist instead of lowering your bow arm. I was sure when I took that shot at that buck that I was capable...and I was...just saying that there are other factors that come into play and I wouldn’t sleep well knowing that my arrogance led to a deer being gut shot and suffering an agonizing death. Everyone has their self imposed limits. I wouldn’t shoot at a 200” buck at 67 yards. I’m sure there are some that would. I’d pass and hope to get a chance another day. Plus, just knowing that caliber of deer was out there would make me hunt that much harder.

That’s awesome that you use to shoot competition and were that good at it. Those are some very impressive numbers and a heck of an accomplishment. I was just saying in general and not betting any one of you in particular so please don’t take it the wrong way. I agree with you that shots at that distance are extremely risky. I’m just saying that it’s funny how people out west shoot deer at 60+ yards and no one bats an eye and a guy shoots one at 67 in Ohio and you would think he shot him at 100.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Reminds me a picture frame we had at deer camp. The frame said "if hunting is a sport, does this mean we're athletes? The picture was 4 old fat guys absolutely wrecked from a hard drag of a doe out of a hollow. I'm talking jackets and clothes half on, hair crazy and soaked with sweat, just wrecked. I always laughed at that picture. " Athletes" 😂

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Jumping the string, ducking an arrow, stepping to take a bite, take a pee or drop a duece....all can happen at any yardage. The day we can predict natural animal movements, well, it ain't gonna happen. Risk increases with yardage, we have all seen someone miss a deer right under the stand because they used their 20yrd pin instead of their 40/50. We have all seen or know someone who has gut shot, hit no man's land, blamed their stand, blamed thier clothing, blamed their bow and most certainly blamed their broadhead they are shooting this season. Fact of the matter is there are always going to be variables out of our control. It is our job to limit as many as possible with practice and make a good call when the time comes to fling an arrow. He did, he did it well and he deserves credit if it was legal/legit. Hate to see hunters dogg other hunters just because they don't agree with the choices made. As long as it's legal, carry on and help support each other and our sport is my simple thinking.

I am not going to touch the outdoor industry comments and whether or not some are athletes. It's a mess, it's all about $ and bragging rights. Same thing with racing, football, baseball.....damn near everything.

Carry on.

tracker 6

In a thicket
Hunters are sportsmen, Not athletes (or as we hillfolk say "atheletes". Big difference in what we do and how we do it than what athletes do.Athletic events don't end up with the taking of a life at the end.Just sayin.

Reactions: Jamie

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
Hunters are sportsmen, Not athletes (or as we hillfolk say "atheletes". Big difference in what we do and how we do it than what athletes do.Athletic events don't end up with the taking of a life at the end.Just sayin.
I beg to differ....when Dallas beat the Saints last night, they pretty much killed the Philadelphia Eagles chances of winning the division! Lol

Fletch

Supporting Member
Well I'm with Jesse and a few others here.... 67 yds at last light... Last light being the key word or words here.. Sounds like a miracle shot to me that should not be taken on any animal if you are an ethical hunter... Perhaps it was shot at 10 yds and he's just throwing 67 yds out there to make the story even better when he jumps up on his bandwagon... At any rate congrats to him on a great buck...

Reactions: 5Cent and Sgt Fury

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
I' holding my judgment until I see the hunt on Youtube.
I can honestly say that when I was between the ages of 16 and mid 30's that I'd have flung an arrow at that distance in an open woods or especially in an open field in hopes my arrow hit a lethal spot, mainly because if I kill him I'm the new Monster Buck Hunter. No one would ever know if I missed and the Risk of not finding him or even missing him would be me not telling about my miss and the Reward of killing him would put free hunting shit from bow's to clothes to invites on hunting shows or even one of my own shows. Get where Im going here?
The hunting world today has people doing anything that is in the legal morals of the hunting world doing what they can to put a Giant on the ground and in the record books and being that hunter that everyone follows and trys to be. This buck is one that not many people will ever forget and the stories, true or not, will last for several seasons also.
Thanks for sharing Rsmith.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Just to lighten the mood, this also wasn't a thing. This chick makes a living by fishing with her tits out. It's the equivalent of the Bowmars without the funny feeling in my Jockeys.

Screenshot_20181130-200522_Instagram.jpg