Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Bonus weekend, season down.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Correct me if I missed something here. Quotes by Tonk

and not all that long ago...Just over a week ago as a matter of fact. Oh how things can change in just a few days lmao
Do you have a link to where he said that last week?

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Hunting pressure around my hunting grounds was almost nil this past weekend. Why you ask ? Well, with the fewer deer shot and seen the entire week long gun season nobody even bothered to go back out and waste time hunting when they could do other things at home and with family and actually accomplish something. Can't accomplish shooting a deer if they aren't there to shoot.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
There are multiple aspects of that article that are asinine.

How does he know what the hunting pressure was this weekend? Does he think there was light hunting pressure because the kill was low? Where I hunted it was heavy hunting pressure. I want to see the Athens County kill. There were more shots on saturday that during the Saturday regular gun season, Sunday was less shooting than Saturday. I don't know about the rest of the state but there were a lot of hunters near me.

We have a population reduction, over harvest, problem in all areas of the state, some are worse than others. You eliminate the 2 day due to low harvest, but institute a state wide DOE only season in October. If the harvest is a even exchange between the existing 2 day and the proposed 2 day doe you further reduce the population. A percentage of the harvest during the "bonus 2 day" are bucks. We would now be shifting that harvest to all antlerless.

I do not understand how he can be surprised at a lower harvest. Every indicator pointed to it happening.

That’s possible, but the bar has been raised,” Tonkovich says. “We let the deer population too become larger but hunters need to keep in mind that we have a job to do and that includes bringing the level of quality deer to what we saw in the 1980s.”

Oh my! What was the population in the 80's? They don't know what the population is today how do they know what the population was in the 80's? He equates deer QUAILTY to the 80's population. In the area I hunt the 80's population was MUCH larger than it is today.

We, my hunting group, have not killed the deer from the property we hunt. We hunt 600+ acres and have never taken more than 5 in any one season, ever. Most seasons we take a total of 3. The neighbors have enjoyed the increased bag limits and tags for sure. The ODNR set the rules to allow it to happen but hunters killed the deer, many of the same hunters that complain now about not seeing deer.

I also after reading this have to apologize and walk back some of my statements in the "Down" thread. I was under the false assumption that the deer population was being managed by a group that had somewhat of a good assessment on how to manage the resource. That they could easily and effectively manage harvest without limiting opportunity. That they had the foresight and desire to manage harvest in a manner than provided maximum hunting opportunity while curtailing harvest to allow for a population expansion. I no longer hold the belief that the resource is being, or will be, managed to maximize the hunting experience and opportunities while providing some equal balance to the concern for over population. I now believe that the hunter concern is a secondary priority to other (non hunter)pressures applied for population control.

Makes you sick in the pit of your stomach when you figure out insurance companies are managing our hunting doesn't it. Especially when you realize there isn't an end in sight and they're going to keep going.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Glad to see you've had your moment of clarity, Lundy. Most of us wanted to believe the DOW was on our side for a long time... They are not.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I had guys tell me this weekend that they would support eliminating the bonus weekend if it meant more deer. The crazy part about that is that it came from diehard gun hunters. Guys who don't bowhunt; guys who only have a select few days a year to help feed their families. They are willing to eliminate opportunity to kill (time) in order to gain opportunity to kill (deer). Seems like a win-win to me. Along with about a dozen other rule changes...

Bigpess51

Findlay
I wish we could just get a guy in office who turned away all the bullshit lobbists money. Actually sat afield in Ohio for more than one day a year. Who had an understanding of what it takes for a healthy deer heard, not the shoot every damn doe you see and worry about it later. The herd is in a serious downward spiral and the quality of deer has already started to deminished. I hunt in Iowa and Michigan now, I should not have to travel hundreds of miles to see the deer numbers i want to see. Ohio has all of variables to be one of the best states in the Midwest. Get rid of the 2nd weekend gun season, the youth season(sounds harsh but to many damn renegades use their kids to shoot deer during these 2 days, I see it happen every year and it will never end.) and cut the bag limits in 1/2, raising the NR tags may not be a bad idea as well. I'm willing to pay $550 to head to Iowa for a doe and buck tag. It was worth every penny. I saw 15-20 deer per sit and filled both tags in 5 days.

I don't have every solution, just my .02. Something needs to change or we are going to be extremely sorry in the future. (NEAR FUTURE).

Boone

*Supporting Member*
N.E. O-H-I-O
Below is the official press release and numbers:

COLUMBUS, OH – Hunters checked 14,365 white-tailed deer during Ohio’s extra gun-hunting weekend, Dec. 15-16, according to the Ohio Department of Natural Resources’ (ODNR) Division of Wildlife.
That total is a decline of 14.3 percent from 2011, when hunters harvested 16,766 deer. In 2010, hunters bagged 20,916 deer over the same time period.
“The overall size of the deer herd is smaller, and the harvest is aligned with that decrease,” said Mike Tonkovich, ODNR Division of Wildlife deer project leader. “We anticipated the 2012-2013 deer season harvest would be down 5 to 10 percent from last year. Most of Ohio’s counties are above their target deer harvest number, and we have worked to get those numbers closer to the target through generous harvest regulations.”
The counties reporting the highest numbers of deer checked during the 2012 deer-gun hunting weekend: Coshocton (489), Tuscarawas (483), Muskingum (474), Licking (444), Harrison (390), Belmont (387), Guernsey (382), Carroll (375), Ashtabula (372) and Knox (356). The top five counties remained unchanged from last year.
The extra gun-hunting weekend was first offered in 2006 in response to hunters’ request for an increase in the amount of weekend days to pursue deer. Hunters still have opportunities to pursue deer this winter. Archery season remains open through Feb. 3, 2013. The statewide muzzleloader season is Jan. 5-8, 2013.
The white-tailed deer is the most popular game animal in Ohio, frequently pursued by generations of hunters. Ohio ranks eighth nationally in annual hunting-related sales and 10th in the number of jobs associated with hunting-related industries. Hunting has an $859 million economic impact in Ohio through the sale of equipment, fuel, food, lodging and more.
More information about Ohio deer hunting can be found in the 2012-2013 Hunting and Trapping Regulations or at wildohio.com. Hunters can also share photos by clicking on the Photo Gallery tab online.
Hunters are encouraged to donate any extra venison to organizations assisting Ohioans in need. ODNR Division of Wildlife is collaborating with Farmers and Hunters Feeding the Hungry (FHFH) to help pay for the processing of donated venison. Hunters who donate deer are not required to pay the processing cost as long as the deer are taken to a participating processor. To see which counties are involved in this program, go to fhfh.org.
Ohio’s first modern day deer-gun season opened in 1943 in three counties, and hunters harvested 168 deer. Deer hunting was allowed in all 88 counties in 1956, and hunters killed 3,911 deer during that one-week season.
ODNR ensures a balance between wise use and protection of our natural resources for the benefit of all. Visit the ODNR website at ohiodnr.com.
- 30 -
Editor’s Note: A list of white-tailed deer checked by hunters during the 2012 deer-gun hunting weekend, Dec. 15-16, is shown below. The first number following the county’s name shows the harvest numbers for 2012, and the 2011 numbers are in parentheses.

Adams: 267 (323); Allen: 78 (122); Ashland: 234 (252); Ashtabula: 372 (387); Athens: 279 (332); Auglaize: 90 (82); Belmont: 387 (416); Brown: 220 (261); Butler: 101 (102); Carroll: 375 (442); Champaign: 77 (128); Clark: 63 (76); Clermont: 182 (226); Clinton: 63 (84); Columbiana: 320 (324); Coshocton: 489 (593); Crawford: 102 (91); Cuyahoga: 6 (2); Darke: 66 (71); Defiance: 142 (174); Delaware: 102 (143); Erie: 41 (31); Fairfield: 169 (180); Fayette: 16 (23); Franklin: 26 (47); Fulton: 58 (85); Gallia: 230 (233); Geauga: 106 (160); Greene: 60 (74); Guernsey: 382 (446); Hamilton: 47 (91); Hancock: 77 (147); Hardin: 89 (103); Harrison: 390 (477); Henry: 64 (95); Highland: 239 (267); Hocking: 213 (281); Holmes: 286 (303); Huron: 195 (198); Jackson: 235 (215); Jefferson: 312 (369); Knox: 356 (373); Lake: 27 (46); Lawrence: 176 (205); Licking: 444 (483); Logan: 143 (200); Lorain: 181 (173); Lucas: 20 (30); Madison: 45 (50); Mahoning: 102 (176); Marion: 75 (80); Medina: 135 (157); Meigs: 259 (269); Mercer: 61 (57); Miami: 49 (70); Monroe: 203 (281); Montgomery: 23 (18); Morgan: 226 (242); Morrow: 133 (130); Muskingum: 474 (499); Noble: 235 (272); Ottawa: 9 (33); Paulding: 99 (124); Perry: 238 (228); Pickaway: 78 (93); Pike: 154 (161); Portage: 90 (167); Preble: 86 (72); Putnam: 47 (77); Richland: 194 (290); Ross: 214 (265); Sandusky: 54 (60); Scioto: 174 (224); Seneca: 139 (159); Shelby: 99 (97); Stark: 171 (175); Summit: 31 (44); Trumbull: 248 (242); Tuscarawas: 483 (541); Union: 81 (73); Van Wert: 64 (86); Vinton: 221 (231); Warren: 83 (110); Washington: 266 (330); Wayne: 115 (184); Williams: 123 (197); Wood: 70 (76); and Wyandot: 117 (160). Total: 14,365 (16,766).
For further information, contact:
John Windau, ODNR Division of Wildlife
419-429-8359
Jason Fallon, ODNR Office of Communications
614-265-6860

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
“We anticipated the 2012-2013 deer season harvest would be down 5 to 10 percent from last year. Most of Ohio’s counties are above their target deer harvest number, and we have worked to get those numbers closer to the target through generous harvest regulations.”

Well.. He finally said it..

They're managing dead deer and have no clue what the starting population was, is, or where it's going. Basically the management plain is to kill deer until you kill so many you kill less total, then keep killing until you reach a lower total number.

oakswamper

around Toledo
I wish we could just get a guy in office who turned away all the bullshit lobbists money. Actually sat afield in Ohio for more than one day a year. Who had an understanding of what it takes for a healthy deer heard, not the shoot every damn doe you see and worry about it later. The herd is in a serious downward spiral and the quality of deer has already started to deminished. I hunt in Iowa and Michigan now, I should not have to travel hundreds of miles to see the deer numbers i want to see. Ohio has all of variables to be one of the best states in the Midwest. Get rid of the 2nd weekend gun season, the youth season(sounds harsh but to many damn renegades use their kids to shoot deer during these 2 days, I see it happen every year and it will never end.) and cut the bag limits in 1/2, raising the NR tags may not be a bad idea as well. I'm willing to pay $550 to head to Iowa for a doe and buck tag. It was worth every penny. I saw 15-20 deer per sit and filled both tags in 5 days.

I don't have every solution, just my .02. Something needs to change or we are going to be extremely sorry in the future. (NEAR FUTURE).

Things obviously need to change but gettin rid of youth season because there are idiots out there not following the law sounds like the gun control argument to me. I don't buy that either

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
“We anticipated the 2012-2013 deer season harvest would be down 5 to 10 percent from last year. Most of Ohio’s counties are above their target deer harvest number, and we have worked to get those numbers closer to the target through generous harvest regulations.”

Well.. He finally said it..

They're managing dead deer and have no clue what the starting population was, is, or where it's going. Basically the management plain is to kill deer until you kill so many you kill less total, then keep killing until you reach a lower total number.

Finally....

He told me the same thing on the phone the first time I spoke with him. "How do we keep killing them if they aren't there" ...

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
:smiley_chinrub:

Looks like you quit biting your fingers....

Here is the answer to the question; there were no NEW seasons added this year, and no ADDITION of tags! If he had kept the variables constant for all those years, the harvest incline would NOT have happened! And, we wouldn't be looking at the worst deer herd we've had in 25+ years!

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Threads have turned to "hunter opportunity" a lot here lately. Here are my thoughts on that. The DOW does not give a rat's tail about hunters having more opportunity to enjoy the outdoors. They never have, they never will. When they sold that crap to the public, what they really meant was "If we give these guys enough time in the field, they will kill a greater percentage of the living herd"... thus reducing the number of "deer problems" with insurance and farmers. Great, job done. We have far fewer deer (though we have no idea how many, because we cannot trust the DOW's estimates...or anything else!) The problem now is we seem to be the only ones that know we've knocked 'em back...the DoW thinks an antlerless season should be implemented next year to insure we kill off the remaining breeding stock.

I want to have faith in the DOW. I did, until they gave me reason not to. Look at their track record. It isn't very impressive for the last decade or so. They (current DoW) can't keep pointing to the track record of the DoW from long ago...those folks are retired and/or dead. This group we have now would have to earn trust, and they haven't earned mine!

mrex

*Supporting member*
Looks like you quit biting your fingers....

Here is the answer to the question; there were no NEW seasons added this year, and no ADDITION of tags! If he had kept the variables constant for all those years, the harvest incline would NOT have happened! And, we wouldn't be looking at the worst deer herd we've had in 25+ years!

Where's your sense of humor?

I am staying in the stands this year for multitude of reasons...maybe if this Mayan Calender thing passes I'll feel like picking up the torch. I will say this...I'm a big proponent of dropping the 2 day December gun season...I'm also a big opponent of a statewide early antlerless only muzzleloader season. That's an absolutely horrible idea and I have made my feelings about this known to the Division on several occasions. I've had a fair amount of success killing target bucks early. Taking an October weekend away from the archery enthusiasts is just plain stupid...IMO.

CritterGitterToo

Central Ohio
Opportunity is fine when deer are to be had. When Ohio's deer population is a verified 750,000 deer then I wouldn't mind the bonus gun weekend at all so long as it is implemented when the deer population rebounds and reasonable bag limits are in place. When they get the herd to 800,000 they can make gun week 2 full weeks if they want to. Doesn't bother me one bit.

However, with the herd we have now, anything short of no bonus anterless tags and no bonus gun (without substituting it with another 2 day gun at a different time) would be bad management practices in my opinion. Also, I woulnd't mind going back to starting archery the 1st Saturday in October and ending it Jan 31st.