Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Blackbeard's 2015 Hunting Journal

Blackbeard

Oak Hill, OH
10/29/15- AM. Hunted a ladderstand in the middle of my overgrown field. Bumped deer pretty much from the moment I walked out my basement door to when I got to stand. Beautiful morning with a SW/W wind. Saw one 4 pt browsing and two does browsing. Very quiet around here.

Blackbeard

Oak Hill, OH
10/30/15- AM. Hunted an oak flat on my property, never saw a single deer. Also never heard a single acorn drop the entire time I was there and only saw two fox squirrels and they were heading somewhere else. Beautiful morning, overcast but wind was near calm.

Blackbeard

Oak Hill, OH
10/31/15- Am. Sat my thicket stand, stand in a small strip of timber between two thickets, didn't see a thing. Beautiful morning with an E wind. Scouted a new area around lunchtime just to see if it was worth going back to. It isn't. Looking forward to the next 16 days of no work but not looking forward to the time change and getting up an hour earlier.

Blackbeard

Oak Hill, OH
Grunted a decent 7 pt up this path this morning, he stopped and looked around, then went through the brush and around to the second path then up this path right to me, he was a smart one, just not big enough, very cautious and didn't walk straight in like a lot do, hope he stays that smart! Drizzling rain here all morning.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446386948.126037.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446387058.636707.jpg

Blackbeard

Oak Hill, OH
11/01/15-AM. Hunted a stand in an overgrown field. Saw a decent 7pt at 7:30, a 4pt at 10:00, and a small 8pt at 10:30 when I was walking out. 7 pt responded and came to a grunt and was grunting himself. 4 and 8 pt were eating honeysuckle after the rain.

Blackbeard

Oak Hill, OH
11/02/15- AM. Hunted a stand that overlooks a hollow in a pine thicket. Foggy as hell this morning. Had one deer blowing at me across the hollow while climbing up then one behind me as soon as I got up. Then a small doe ran off the hill at 7:30 followed by a button buck grunting. Then about an hour later a 4pt and 6 pt came through following the same doe's path about 10 minutes apart. This weather sucks!

Left that property and went and built three ground blinds on another property that I hadn't gave much attention to this year. First blind is a new one in a little finger of woods that sticks out into a pasture field where deer cross in the morning. I'll sit behind the big maple in the middle. Second blind is what I call my Poplar blind, been hunting it for several years, it's behind those two huge poplars. Third one is a new one I threw up real fast by some fresh sign. Don't really like it but might sit it soon to see what happens.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446493190.283881.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446493213.841442.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446493228.650354.jpg

Last edited:

Blackbeard

Oak Hill, OH
11/02/15- PM. Hunted my second stand setup over my overgrown field, this one is setup for N, NE, E winds. When I was climbing up I got about halfway and noticed antlers coming out one of the mowed roads. so I start climbing faster. I got to the stand and it was covered in grape vine leaves, berries, and stems. So I rushed to pick it all off as the buck is walking out in front of me about 100 yards away. I finally got the platform clear and climbed on up, pulled my bow up, hookup my safety harness, and heard another buck grunt to my west and there was another buck trailing a doe. The first buck made his way to the center of the field right under my other stand, then went out the north side of the property. He looked like a potential shooter. The second buck messed around in the field all evening checking does. He was the decent 7pt I saw the other day. All told I saw 4 does, a button buck, and 2 bucks. Didn't think I'd see anything due to the heat but things are definitely heating up rut wise.

Blackbeard

Oak Hill, OH
11/03/15- AM. Hunted the same stand as yesterday evening. Saw two does right after shooting light browsing on weeds and honeysuckle. Then the same 7pt I've been seeing came through the field lightly grunting. Then at 8:30 three mutt dogs proceeded to run a rabbit around my property for 30 minutes which pretty much ended any chances to see any deer for several hours. I did see a 4pt skirting the edge of the field about 9:30. This weather sucks, 75 degree high temp for Nov 3 is ridiculous.

Blackbeard

Oak Hill, OH
11/04/15- hunted a stand between two thickets. Saw a mature doe and fawn browsing on briars, that was it. Clouds covered up the sun and made it bearable. This weather sucks.

Blackbeard

Oak Hill, OH
One of those evenings when it is 78 degrees, no wind, and mosquitoes biting you that you just have to remind yourself that it is the rut, don't leave and say the hell with it.