Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Bigslams trapping and snaring

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Also. Stop at your local truck stop and look for a tire thumper. They have ones that look like stout mini baseball bats, my favorite is about a 16 inch length of hickory broom handle with 4 inches of black pipe on the end.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Also. Stop at your local truck stop and look for a tire thumper. They have ones that look like stout mini baseball bats, my favorite is about a 16 inch length of hickory broom handle with 4 inches of black pipe on the end.

That would do a hell of a job! I'll have to ask my uncle, he drives truck.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio

DANG! It's gettin' serious now!rotflmao

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Best one I have seen was a length of broom handle with the end drilled out and filled with lead.

Molten lead poured in it? I don't have access to the equipment to pull that off. For now I have an old copperhead baseball bat, but I would like to eventually get a bigslam signature series beater LOL.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Chad, the old fur-buyer I worked for taught me to tap the coons on the head to stun them....Then hold them up by a back leg. Swing your bat angled-in down the spine and make contact about 2-3" from where the spine meets the skull. This will separate all connections to the head and is very humane. Also minimizes the blood clots on the head which hinder skinning and scraping later on....plus keeps your trap site clear of unwanted blood.

You can also stun them and wrap them around an 8-12" tree a good one and that will separate the spine.

Last edited:

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Nothing in my traps today, had one pull out of a DP cause it was frozen in the ground. Set a few snares today. Coon should move tonight.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
One Grinner today, that was it. Pulled some DPs, going to set them at another property with good sign. I don't expect much this week though.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1418784388430.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1418784388430.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 111

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Another grinner, and a blue jay. Dumped 100 pounds of corn and placed 3 DPs around it LOL.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1418839008285.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1418839008285.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 124