Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Are the groundhogs disappearing in your area?

wdbak

SE Ohio
Thanks Jesse, The ones that have survived around here are living close to houses or in small out of the way places where coyotes haven't found them. And you know what happens to them, like I said.

rossbows

They are all over up here. Got my hay off and got three is week.

Attachments

• 052912211426.jpg
    052912211426.jpg
    265.4 KB · Views: 160

Tree Monkey

NW ohio
Took the gun apart and cleaned it and loaded another batch of 65g vmaxs...gotta sight it back in some time tomorrow and go out in the evening.

wdbak

SE Ohio
DJK Frank 16,
I guess I just get tired of people who want to do as much damage as possible in the short time they're here. And brag about it. I've lived long enough to see what's going on and what we've already lost. But not just in my lifetime, it's been happening all along. So instead of just sittin by watchin, I'm standin up for ole woody. He's more than a target. He's part of the big picture, and when he's gone we all lose.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
DJK Frank 16,
I guess I just get tired of people who want to do as much damage as possible in the short time they're here. And brag about it. I've lived long enough to see what's going on and what we've already lost. But not just in my lifetime, it's been happening all along. So instead of just sittin by watchin, I'm standin up for ole woody. He's more than a target. He's part of the big picture, and when he's gone we all lose.

I respect that man, thanks for explaining!

I shot close to 40 of them last year... and it gave me a woody! :pickle:

To me they are a varmint, they eat farmers soybeans, and they dig giant holes in fields and ditches. But it's not the first time I've overlooked the big picture...

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I won't see 40 groundhogs in a the next 5 years, so I can't wrap my head around killing that many in one year. I don't see the point in killing something that is hardly sustainable and down here, groundhogs are few and far between. Now if we had the numbers you guys in the north seem to have, then I would be out with the .22-250 every evening. But I don't feel right killing the few we have left down here just because they are "varmints".

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
I agree, if I was seeing just a few a year, I wouldn't waste my time or gas riding around looking for them. They are thicker than shit around our area, so I keep shooting them. It just read wrong is why I asked for clarification.

Huckleberry Finn

So with that logic we should kill all deer?!? That's a piss poor argument for killing groundhogs and you know it...

No, you referenced the difference between the species in your previous post...they are varmints.

I guess I just didn't know that people were overconcerned about killing groundhogs...:smiley_blackeye:

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Do I kill every groundhog I see...Nope
Do I want too kill them....Yup

I do see both sides on this one. I understand the groundhogs can make habitat for other critters and without them those critters would be put in a bad spot. I also understand the devastation they can have on buildings, crops, and machinery for farming. I guess for me it all comes down to where the hogs live. Back in the woods I don't camp out on them like I do around buildings and along field edges. Kind of a " Out of sight out of mind " kinda thing for me. Back in my younger days I would spend all day every day in hot pursuit of the groundhog. I still enjoy the game but with the smaller numbers I just don't bother wasting time to chase them anymore. Don't get me wrong, if I'm out checking cams and see one it will get blasted if it's in the fields or around the buildings.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I kill them. The land owners want them gone. I aim to oblige. When you see the devastation to the barns, and amount of crops they eat and damage to fields I think it is a little different. I do the same with coyotes. If wild hogs ever make it this way, I will do the same. Ground hogs are not cute. They are not friendly. They do damage. I am not blood thirsty for them, but I do intend on keeping the owners of my hunting properties happy. They are happy to hear when I help them eliminate some of their problems.

I appreciate your opinion and respect it wdbak. In NW Ohio, they are not what i would consider "dwindling".

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Well said Adam...

Thanks Huck.

I guess what got me about the wide brush that painted everybody and being called a dumbass for shooting a groundhog kinda pissed me off just the same as it did Frank. Oh well, I guess I can't make everybody happy all the time. Just sick of being labled or called something without that person knowing the full story of why. Just assume and paint everybody with the same brush. Kinda BS IMO but what do I know lol.