Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Anyone else annoyed with the start date being on Monday?

freeboro

I feel the same way. 2 weeks to slam OH birds before the opener here. LOL I've never hunted them so early, this will be my first year hunting them out of PA.

I feel the same way. 2 weeks to slam OH birds before the opener here. LOL I've never hunted them so early, this will be my first year hunting them out of PA.

Same I just moved here last summer and never hunted Ohio for turkey I usual to dual hunt PA and NY with good success. What county do you hunt in PA? PA has always been good to me even with its later season and no Sunday hunting.

My first impression is that there are a lot more birds and a lot more access to land to hunt in PA as well but I am excited to give this Ohio season a good try.

teej89

NE PA
I'll always love hunting birds in PA, where i grew up in central PA it's all rugged mountains. You best be in shape if you wanna bag a big tom. Especially with the RIDICULOUS amount of hunting pressure. Kinda sucks that some of my biggest birds had <1" spurs all worn down cuz of the rocky terrain in the mountains.

I'll always love hunting birds in PA, where i grew up in central PA it's all rugged mountains. You best be in shape if you wanna bag a big tom. Especially with the RIDICULOUS amount of hunting pressure. Kinda sucks that some of my biggest birds had <1" spurs all worn down cuz of the rocky terrain in the mountains.

I grew up in NW PA more toward the SW part in what the northern people called "Flat Lander" country. Killed a lot of birds hunting small farms and wood parcels but the last 4 years I was in PA I lived in McKean County in the Alleghany National Forest. That I have to say is a true experience any hunter should try especially living so close. That is the definition of "ridge runner" when your chasing toms all over those mountain tops.

I will say though the time I spent up there it was just polluted with birds. From first light until noon I would always be on a bird.

freeboro

I live in Erie County now, in Fairview (west of Erie), but grew up in Warren county and my parents still live there.

freeboro

No, I never did. I grew up in Youngsville and have a ton of places to hunt there so I always did that. The population seems to have dropped off though as of late so if I make it down there to hunt, I may have to head out that way. I always wondered what it was like out there.

No, I never did. I grew up in Youngsville and have a ton of places to hunt there so I always did that. The population seems to have dropped off though as of late so if I make it down there to hunt, I may have to head out that way. I always wondered what it was like out there.

From there over into Potter county I seem to have noticed a pretty dense population of birds. Although I doubt I will ever make it back because if I do hunt in PA it will most likely be south in Indiana/Armstrong Counties if interested I could send you some snips of Google maps within the National Forest of areas that I have found to be good. Just let me know.

What counties are you intending to hunt in Ohio?

freeboro

That'd be great! Thanks!

As for Ohio, I'm buddies with a couple guys on here that live outside of Cleveland so between the PA line and there. Ashtabula, Trumbull, Geuga...