Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

WTB Any of you TOO'S in medina county?

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Ok I get it. Don't release racoons. Makes sense. I have no issue with killing them, but someone claimed drowning it In a trash can is not torture. I disagree. I am just looking for a way to kill them that a)does not get me into trouble with the law and b) is humane.

Not to argue but clue me in on a humane way to kill a pest. Dead is dead. Torture would to kill it slowly and enjoy the prolonged killing system. Drowning is not cruel as one drawn in breath of water and it's dead.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
MAVRICK! Get me some dyneeemite! JK

Welcome, hope you get it solved. Best bet: Do what you want and do not talk about it:smiley_coolpeace:

Blan37

SW Ohio
If you trap them they can NOT be removed from the property alive. You have to release them back on the property they are on our kill them on the property they are on.

They can be euthanized somewhere else, doesn't have to be on-site. I'm a licensed nuisance wildlife trapper and I have no special rights in terms of euthanizing than anyone else. Nuisance trappers have to obey the same firearms discharge laws as everyone, and when one needs shot, taking it to a place to shoot it is common practice.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
They can be euthanized somewhere else, doesn't have to be on-site. I'm a licensed nuisance wildlife trapper and I have no special rights in terms of euthanizing than anyone else. Nuisance trappers have to obey the same firearms discharge laws as everyone, and when one needs shot, taking it to a place to shoot it is common practice.

You still can't remove them from the property alive. You have to use injections or another means of dispatching them inside city limits. If you remove it to shoot it else where, your in violation. The law is written and there is no stipulations for nuisance trappers.

Blan37

SW Ohio
I'm not sure what law you're reading, but it's nothing that was ever on my test. The law states they cannot be moved - as in relocated. Not that they can't be moved for the purpose of euthanizing.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I'm not sure what law you're reading, but it's nothing that was ever on my test. The law states they cannot be moved - as in relocated. Not that they can't be moved for the purpose of euthanizing.

http://wildlife.ohiodnr.gov/hunting...ing-trapping-regulations/trapping-regulations

•All furbearers shall be killed immediately and reduced to the person's possession, or released immediately at the capture site.

http://codes.ohio.gov/oac/1501:31-15-03

(3) It shall be unlawful to fail to euthanize, or release on site, any nuisance raccoon, skunk, beaver, coyote, fox, or opossum that is captured, trapped or taken.

Blan37

SW Ohio
The first law pertains to trapping for fur, the second for controlling nuisance wildlife. In the second, you'll notice that nothing is said about euthanizing offsite. It simply says that that the animal must be released onsite, not euthanized onsite.

-- edit --

When I first decided I was going to get my nuisance trapper cert, I wondered to myself why anyone looking to get fur all year round wouldn't just get a nuisance license since they could trap all the time and take the fur? The law takes care of that too. If you are nuisance trapping, you can't keep and sell the fur but you can possess the carcass.

The law is a little ambiguous, but there is a difference between nuisance trapping & fur trapping. The 'kill immediately' law applies to fur trappers, not to nuisance trappers. And in Ohio, you don't even need a nuisance trapper cert to be a nuisance trapper unless you are getting paid for it. That law changed not too long ago.

Last edited:

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
The first law pertains to trapping for fur, the second for controlling nuisance wildlife. In the second, you'll notice that nothing is said about euthanizing offsite. It simply says that that the animal must be released onsite, not euthanized onsite.

The way I'm reading the oac is that it has to be euthanized on site or released on site.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member

-- edit --

When I first decided I was going to get my nuisance trapper cert, I wondered to myself why anyone looking to get fur all year round wouldn't just get a nuisance license since they could trap all the time and take the fur? The law takes care of that too. If you are nuisance trapping, you can't keep and sell the fur but you can possess the carcass.

The law is a little ambiguous, but there is a difference between nuisance trapping & fur trapping. The 'kill immediately' law applies to fur trappers, not to nuisance trappers. And in Ohio, you don't even need a nuisance trapper cert to be a nuisance trapper unless you are getting paid for it. That law changed not too long ago.

I get what your saying. But It would take a lawyer to argue that and it could go either way. The Supreme Court has stated many times that a comma does not mean it's a separate statement but rather a part of the overall sentence. " fail to euthanize, or release on site" is considered one statement by the court. Most nuisance trappers have a gas chamber in the back of their vehicles To the homeowner it looks as though they sat the trap in the back of the truck. Reality is they sat the trap in a box in the back of the truck and cracked the valve on a bottle of CO2.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
That's so cruel. The state is trying to force me to torture an innocent animal just so they can "help the economy " by having to call a trapper. I realize they are disease spreading vermin, but nothing deserves to die that way. The ODNR is fucked

Nature is cruel. Releasing an animal to starve of freeze to death in a strange area is cruel. Diseases caused by relocating animals is cruel. Injuries leading to prolonged death sustained from territorial fighting is cruel. Just because you remove yourself from the process before any of it happens doesn't mean Ricky raccoon strolled of into the sunset to live happily ever after. Drowning it is not cruel compared to other fates that would surely await it. The only difference is you took an active part in it vs letting it happen slowly without your knowledge. It has nothing to do with helping the economy but preventing all the things I mentioned above. Disease being the worst of them because of the number of animals it can impact.

A buddy if mine I used to coon hunt with was an ADC trapper also. He would illegally take the coons out to a property he had permission to run dogs on an let them loose. His theory was he'll kill them later but stock the area for training pups. Before he would let them go however he would dock their tail. In all the times I went out there with him to run dogs we killed one coon with a docked tail. It didn't work. I bet he relocated 20 coons out there over one summer and we only treed 1 with a docked tail.

Just kill it on prem the quickest way you can.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I get what your saying. But It would take a lawyer to argue that and it could go either way. The Supreme Court has stated many times that a comma does not mean it's a separate statement but rather a part of the overall sentence. " fail to euthanize, or release on site" is considered one statement by the court. Most nuisance trappers have a gas chamber in the back of their vehicles To the homeowner it looks as though they sat the trap in the back of the truck. Reality is they sat the trap in a box in the back of the truck and cracked the valve on a bottle of CO2.

That was my understanding of the comma used in that statement. I'm not about to spend hours and thousands fighting it in court. A push pole syringe works just fine for me lol.

Blan37

SW Ohio
Then you'd better have the license to use the poison. If not, and you get caught, and your not a licensed nuisance trapper with permission to use whatever chemical you're using, you could very well spend thousands in court and have your ass handed to you by the social media Nazis.

Look guys, I'm not making this shit up. Yeah some guys have gas, but the majority of the small time dudes don't. They take it out to private property and shoot the thing in the head's It's not friggin illegal.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Then you'd better have the license to use the poison. If not, and you get caught, and your not a licensed nuisance trapper with permission to use whatever chemical you're using, you could very well spend thousands in court and have your ass handed to you by the social media Nazis.

Look guys, I'm not making this shit up. Yeah some guys have gas, but the majority of the small time dudes don't. They take it out to private property and shoot the thing in the head's It's not friggin illegal.

So it's illegal to use a push pole syringe with acetone if you're not a licensed ADC? I know a ton of guys use them for skunks. I can't imagine a coon would ever allow it but it seems to work great on skunks.

Blan37

SW Ohio
This is from the cert manual, pg. 6. Everything here pertains to commercial trappers:

-------------------------
TOXICANTS

It is lawful to use a toxicant or chemical substance as a means of control for nuisance wild animals.

It shall be unlawful to use a toxicant or chemical substance for the taking or control of a nuisance wild
animal contrary to or in violation of instructions on the label or manufacturer recommendations.

Remember, “The label is the law” when it comes to the use of toxicant or chemical substances.

A licensed commercial nuisance wild animal control operator must first possess the appropriate
pesticide applicators license
under chapter 921 of the Revised Code to use a toxicant or chemical
substance for the taking or control of a nuisance wild animal.
A pesticide applicators license is issued by
the Ohio Department of Agriculture. Additional information on toxicants can be found in chapter 4.

So Acetone on skunks is not something a commercial nuisance trapper can use because that's not what it was made for. You'd have to find a chemical manufactured for that with specific instructions and get licensed to use it, but to my knowledge there isn't one.

As for non-ADC & Acetone, yeah, I know people still do it and it's right up there with using fly bait for coon. Farm supply type places used to sell fly bait to you and would even tell you how to mix it up. It's great for killing raccoon, but not great if you get caught using it for killing raccoon.

I don't have any articles on hand, but I know there have been convictions for this type of thing in Ohio. Using this stuff for anything that was not specified on the label is illegal on a FEDERAL level. Ohio Dept of Wildlife & Dept of Ag *will* investigate cases of illegal use if they find out about it. And, as I said, these things have a way of making you into the next guy to get an internets worth of pitchforks and torches up your ass. Fun times we live in. Proceed at your own risk...

If anyone gets bored, here's a link to the certification manual. Study it and take the test if you want. It's free: http://wildlife.ohiodnr.gov/Portals... Wild Animal Control Certification Manual.pdf

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
It seems if we pay attention and care we can learn something everyday. But I still believe in the "catch 22 system"
Shot it with a 22 LR and catch the ejected empty fired casing flying through the air.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
This is from the cert manual, pg. 6. Everything here pertains to commercial trappers:

TOXICANTS

It is lawful to use a toxicant or chemical substance as a means of control for nuisance wild animals.

It shall be unlawful to use a toxicant or chemical substance for the taking or control of a nuisance wild
animal contrary to or in violation of instructions on the label or manufacturer recommendations.

Remember, “The label is the law” when it comes to the use of toxicant or chemical substances.

A licensed commercial nuisance wild animal control operator must first possess the appropriate
pesticide applicators license
under chapter 921 of the Revised Code to use a toxicant or chemical
substance for the taking or control of a nuisance wild animal.
A pesticide applicators license is issued by
the Ohio Department of Agriculture. Additional information on toxicants can be found in chapter 4.

So Acetone on skunks is not something a commercial nuisance trapper can use because that's not what it was made for. You'd have to find a chemical manufactured for that with specific instructions and get licensed to use it, but to my knowledge there isn't one.

As for non-ADC & Acetone, yeah, I know people still do it and it's right up there with using fly bait for coon. Farm supply type places used to sell fly bait to you and would even tell you how to mix it up. It's great for killing raccoon, but not great if you get caught using it for killing raccoon.

I don't have any articles on hand, but I know there have been convictions for this type of thing in Ohio. Using this stuff for anything that was not specified on the label is illegal on a FEDERAL level. Ohio Dept of Wildlife & Dept of Ag *will* investigate cases of illegal use if they find out about it. And, as I said, these things have a way of making you into the next guy to get an internets worth of pitchforks and torches up your ass. Fun times we live in. Proceed at your own risk...

If anyone gets bored, here's a link to the certification manual. Study it and take the test if you want. It's free: http://wildlife.ohiodnr.gov/Portals... Wild Animal Control Certification Manual.pdf

Thanks for the info. I should have remembered the old "illegal under federal law use this product inconsistent with it's intended labeling" that alone prohibits acetone.