Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

3D Shoots...

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I am not regretting my sight choice....just the yardages I have it set at right now. 20, 30, 40, 50, 75

Just trying to figure out if I am going to with tighter pins at different yardages or keep the kentucky windage with a better sight picture. The 11 ring is awefully small on the turkey and groundhog targets. And if you use a moveable sight in IBO and move it then you go to another class. Just a thought...

Exactly. That's the only thing I don't like about the slider sights. I'm not good enough to bump up into the open class. A slider would have to go on a hunting-only bow.

That 11 ring on the turk targets is ridiculously small. What's funny, though, is when they set one up about 6 or 7 yards from the line, and you watch guy after guy aim low and miss waaaaayyyyy low. It's a good little curveball they throw in there... Nobody ever thinks to practice sub-10 yarders.

Longdraw

Central,Ohio
i can't shoot really tight pins,I would rather have a larger sight picture,it depends on what class you shoot,bowhunter class your longest shot is usually 45yds. at max

Milo

Tatonka guide.
listen to long draw. for hunter class i only shot 2 pin. what you will find on like a boar or black bear in the shade and your in the sun, the sight pins will overopower your eyes and cause you to loose focus....especially on a dark target when you lose the 10 ring.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
That is what I was finding. The place was lit terribly and you could hardly see. The guys shooting small peeps were bitchin. IBO Hunter is max 35 I believe.

Kaiser878

ohio
I have always been a 20, 30, 40, 50 yard pin guy.

But recently I have been doing to shooting and playing around....I think I am gonig to change my whole set up ......I am going to make my pins in he following order, 22, 28, 35. For IBO hunter class this set up is starting to prove to be a winner for me....It takes a lot of the guess work out... At 35 yards I dont like gapping pins.. This makes your longest, and most difficult shot at 35 easier. especially when you get turkey at 35 yards.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Good grief, you guys put a lot of thought into all this. I still recall my bewilderment when Milo said " I shot my 32 yard pin". I had to ask why in the world he would set a pin for 32 yards...and he had a good reason, at least for him, and that is all that really matters. I just have 20-60 at ten yard intervals. I'm not going to change my set ups for anything. One reason I always hated sliding scopes was that I could never remember what yardages I had coded onto my tape. I should have just marked the actual number, I don't think any other shooters put much faith in my yardage estimation after a round or two! :)

Milo

Tatonka guide.
I set my pins to my arrow setup. Mostly i find that there is a distance that i get a flat arrow trajectory and I can reasonably shoot 3 yards up or down on the one pin. for the speed i was shooting i set my setup is generally only two pins. I can shoot 37 yards if i have too with a 32 yard pin comfortably. that's what i practice. I shoot center 10 rings in stead of center 11 rings which helps a lot also.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I am headed to Mao's place down in Coshocton for a shoot if anyone wants to come along. It is on the 21st.

If I wasn't making a trip south the following weekend, I'd probably join you. There should be an IBO shoot coming up at Cardinal soon, right? I should have my new strings from Skeeter Creek any day now... Once I get 'em I'll have the Strother tuned up again and I'll be itching to kill some foam.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
If I wasn't making a trip south the following weekend, I'd probably join you. There should be an IBO shoot coming up at Cardinal soon, right? I should have my new strings from Skeeter Creek any day now... Once I get 'em I'll have the Strother tuned up again and I'll be itching to kill some foam.

The Cardinal shoot (IBO Qualifier) is on the 28th. That is why I am going to this one on the 21st to knock the dust off.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Jesse can give you a handy anytime... ;) Have fun. I am going for fun and turkey hunting in a new place with a good dude would out weigh a shoot for me also. Anyone else?

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Right now I have a bunch of changes going on in my schedule. If I qualify I would go. My wife scheduled and paid for another vacation in July that is at the same time as the WQ at Cardinal.

Not sure what to expect actually. Went to three shoots so far and shot 276, 282 and then 291 I believe (both indoors). I had some bow issues that needed fixed so I haven't been able to shoot like I need to. That is all fixed now so I will be practicing a lot to be prepared. I am going to the qualifiers in April @ Cardinal and Allen County archers in May. I would have to qualify at one of those two shoots since I can't make the one in July now with out traveling real far. Broken Arrow is holding a qualifier but it is while I am on vacation in June.

I am just going to have fun. If I can be competitive then I will go from there.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I don't remember it being difficult to "qualify" for the world's. I can't recall what the qualifications were, honestly, but it seems to me it was just a matter of showing up at an IBO shoot or qualifier. You have to be a member in good standing to shoot, and the shoot fees are fairly high for a 3 d shoot. Still, fun and worth doing.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I don't remember it being difficult to "qualify" for the world's. I can't recall what the qualifications were, honestly, but it seems to me it was just a matter of showing up at an IBO shoot or qualifier. You have to be a member in good standing to shoot, and the shoot fees are fairly high for a 3 d shoot. Still, fun and worth doing.

D. Qualification To Participate In The World Championship [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]
In order to compete in the IBO World Championship an archer must be an IBO member and place in the top twenty (20) scores for his or her class at an IBO-sanctioned qualifying tournament. FBH archers need not qualify to participate in the IBO World Championship.
[/FONT]

[/FONT] [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][/FONT][/FONT]

Last edited:

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ahhh, now I remember. There are rarely more than 20 shooters at a qualifier for any class other than hunter...or whatever it is called now. A non-competative class, yet has the best shooters on the course. Silly really.

COB-TY

Retired to the happy hunting grounds above.
Ohio
Pins?? What der hell is pins? I shoot "close", "medium", and "far"! :smiley_confused_vra I like "close", "closer", and "closest" even better! :smiley_arrogant::smiley_arrogant: