Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

2024 Spring Turkey

Wiley E Coyote

Birthday Bird with my New birthday gun on my birthday morning 😄 life is good today
1000001423.jpg

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Congratulations on the bird and birthday!

My buddy enjoyed his first action packed turkey hunt of his life this morning. Unfortunately he threw two warning shots. We saw a dozen birds, even a bearded hen. All kinds of fun with absolutely no mess. It may be a while before I let him live the poor shooting down.
If it gets old, send over here we’ll gladly make fun of him as well….. 😂

Reactions: Wiley E Coyote

Wiley E Coyote

Thanks everyone! Yes it is a young bird with a double beard. I had a bunch of birds in on top of me. Once I had a clean shot at the big long beard at 30 but a hen was right behind him so I had to pass. With all the under brush and sitting on my ass it was hard see just red heads moving all around me. Gobbling and turkeys talking some birds about to step on me. It was one of the coolest experiences of my life! I could sense they were getting ready to move on. I knew there was three or four older birds there and several jakes and no telling how many hens. A red head popped up right on my bead and I let him have it! Didn't know what I had till I walked up on him. I'm good with it my week is almost over and it was some tough hunting. The whole group stayed together every day. Roosted together,feed together never broke up. Would gobble on the roost then shut it down. I had to figure the pattern they were working and beat them there because calling was not working for me. Calling in a gobbling spring bird is what it's all about but some times you have to be a predator to make it happen and it was a great rewarding experience! Thanks again everyone have a great season if you haven't already! Sorry for the slow reply I'm camping at paint creek and my cell service is poor there at best

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Thanks everyone! Yes it is a young bird with a double beard. I had a bunch of birds in on top of me. Once I had a clean shot at the big long beard at 30 but a hen was right behind him so I had to pass. With all the under brush and sitting on my ass it was hard see just red heads moving all around me. Gobbling and turkeys talking some birds about to step on me. It was one of the coolest experiences of my life! I could sense they were getting ready to move on. I knew there was three or four older birds there and several jakes and no telling how many hens. A red head popped up right on my bead and I let him have it! Didn't know what I had till I walked up on him. I'm good with it my week is almost over and it was some tough hunting. The whole group stayed together every day. Roosted together,feed together never broke up. Would gobble on the roost then shut it down. I had to figure the pattern they were working and beat them there because calling was not working for me. Calling in a gobbling spring bird is what it's all about but some times you have to be a predator to make it happen and it was a great rewarding experience! Thanks again everyone have a great season if you haven't already! Sorry for the slow reply I'm camping at paint creek and my cell service is poor there at best
Great story! If you happen to stop by, introduce yourself!

Bankfish

Two strutters and a hen came from 200yds across a field to the decoys this morning. At 25yds the hen must've seen something she didn't like and putted once. 2oz of #5's sent from the Stoeger and the flop was on, well, not much flopping ;). Done by 7:45. Best part is today is my birthday, first birthday bird for me.
20240426_075336.jpg
20240426_075410.jpg

ThatBuckeyeGuy

Ohio
Two strutters and a hen came from 200yds across a field to the decoys this morning. At 25yds the hen must've seen something she didn't like and putted once. 2oz of #5's sent from the Stoeger and the flop was on, well, not much flopping ;). Done by 7:45. Best part is today is my birthday, first birthday bird for me. View attachment 193791View attachment 193792
Congrats! You guys an these birthday birds I might have to wait until mine to go back out ! Happy birthday man

Wiley E Coyote

Two strutters and a hen came from 200yds across a field to the decoys this morning. At 25yds the hen must've seen something she didn't like and putted once. 2oz of #5's sent from the Stoeger and the flop was on, well, not much flopping ;). Done by 7:45. Best part is today is my birthday, first birthday bird for me. View attachment 193791View attachment 193792
Congratulations and happy birthday! We share one of the best weeks for a birthday if you happen to be a turkey hunter 😁

Reactions: Bankfish

Wiley E Coyote

Great story! If you happen to stop by, introduce yourself!
Brock we met a few years back you may remember I was wearing a Bear archery Kodiak T-shirt and you commented on it. We chatted a few minutes about old recurves and MR James has my pizza got cold. The family just didn't understand me coming back with a cold pizza 😆 good luck in KY this weekend!🦃

Reactions: brock ratcliff