Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

2014 gun season thread

Huckleberry Finn

That wind was a bitch this morning...

Least amount of shots heard on gun opener, ever. I've heard more shots on the opening morning of muzzleloader.

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Went to the farm I was planning on hunting. Saw 3 trucks. Pulled into the last pull off. Saw multiple headlamps in the woods. Sat in the truck for a minute then went back home. Got cleaned up and changed then went to work.

huntn2

Hudson, OH
Quiet morning in PA today but at 1:10 this afternoon this 8pt came in pushing a doe.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417496037.868215.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1417496061.134838.jpg

buckstar25

T-county
First year since 2001 I've been skunked on opening day. Very few people out and no close shots. I was trash talking my niece and said my 1100 barks loud enough to wake her up so she shouldn't close her eyes.....hunted till 1:00 today with same result. Pulled card on one can and a big non typical was in front of it at 7:00 a.m. this morning.

I did get my 2 oldest daughters out with me, not perfect weather but they were troopers! Good luck and stay safe. I'll be back out Friday.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Smile. You found TOO! Welcome to the site. Like the brow tines and chocolate coloration on the rack.

Clay Showalter

Southern member northern landowner
Guilford County
Thanks, to make it a better story first I am new to deer hunting and this is my first deer ever and second he was behind a doe and mounted her right in front of me at about 25 yards and that was all she wrote. Hit him in the shoulder and broke both of them. He flipped over and fell down the hill about 15 feet. My youngest son who is 8 was in the blind with me. Was a great day after a lousy day Monday, killed with an optima v2.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Happy for you man, but stories like yours give me a sore ass. Hope you continue to have good luck cause it ain't always that easy, or ever that easy for some of us. Pretty cool your son got to see it and I'm sure he's hooked!

Strother23

Columbus, OH
Went out yesterday to a new spot that the inlaw has access to. It buts up to Battelle Darby creek which is public land so I thought I was going to hear lots of gun shots and see some deer movement from hunters on public land pushing the deer to private land. I only heard a couple shots and didn't see anything. I was surprised to say the least? It's a nice spot and I'm going to be trying to get permission to hunt there for the rest of the year. It's a nice 70acre spot.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Dang csho. Probably less than a dozen guys on here who have seen a doe mounted in the wild. Maybe. I am guessing. Pretty uncommon thing. Congrats again!