Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

2013 Opening Day Harvest Stats

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Had a fella walk up on my nephew who was in a stand hunting, the guys asks who he was and proceeds to drive the 5 acres out that my nephews was in hunting....this bright fella drove them towards across a busy road mind you to his kids in the woods on the other side...

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Had a fella walk up on my nephew who was in a stand hunting, the guys asks who he was and proceeds to drive the 5 acres out that my nephews was in hunting....this bright fella drove them towards across a busy road mind you to his kids in the woods on the other side...

What an asshole.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member

And this is why I'm starting to dislike gun season more and more. I love toting a gun around, but I dislike some of the jack wagons that the season draws out of the woodwork. I'm not trying to open a can of worms and I am not slamming gun season. I'm just slamming some of the fly-by-nights that do not respect boundaries.

Maybe it's the orange that makes them more noticeable...

Milo

Tatonka guide.
heck it gets better but i'm actually working with the LEO on another dude..

Milo

Tatonka guide.
here is some interesting news for your

Opening day gun season totals for ohio by year

1999 - 34,771

2001 - 41,257

2002 - 43,052

2005 - 38,695

2006 - 39,629

pretty amazing ain't it? darn near half...

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
Same down here. Best damn weather we have had on opening day in at least 6-7 years down here. There is no other reason we shot so fewer deer than the simple fact that we have WAY LESS deer than we had just 4-5 years ago. IMO, I heard more shooting on opening day than I have in several years. Proof is in the pudding.

More shooting but a smaller harvest? that doesn't make sense. unless they just aren't being checked in. I think that has a lot to do with it.

Shoot a small buck, put an either sex tag on it, cut it up, put it in the freezer. Toss the little rack along with the hide and bones, call it in as a doe.

Or shoot one, Put a temp tag on it, get it in the freezer and don't call it in at all. throw the temp tag in the trash and take out a copy of the original tag.

i'm sure there are more people doing this kind of thing than ever before. The telecheck system just makes it to easy.

rzylkie

I agree with u,either that or they let everybody in the household check in deer. I don't get the whole deer hunting like rabbit hunting thing? nothing wrong with it if you like it I just prefer still hunting and trying to get a true giant and the best thing about it is the potential exist almost all over the whole state.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
There are many different types of hunters and while we all on here for the most part agree on many aspects of deer hunting I don't know if we are a good representation of the hunting community at large. We are all fairly educated and most have good jobs and this is a recreational activity for us. I know some guys who hunt literally b/c they are laid off right now and every deer they put in the freezer is less money to go towards food next year. Then there are the guys that we were discussing in another thread who bought stuff last sunday and hoped for the best. Then there are the people who are the hunting equivalent of the guests on Jerry Springer (such as the jackwagon Milo posted earlier).

I stand hunt some, drive hunt a good bit but really enjoy still hunting my way through the woods with someone at the other end of them to get whatever I spook unknowingly. Some of you hunt hard for the best and biggest buck you can find. As long as we are all safe and happy with the end result it works.

The problem is that I don't know if the ODNR has the same interests at heart as many of us hunters. I know from Strouds that we found out where the ODNR wants the deer population but I don't understand what they hope to achieve by cutting the herd down that low. I know that there is the potential of the Farm Bureau and Nationwide and the $$ backing their interests but it doesn't seem like conservation or healthy for our herd.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
There's also people who are having their spouses get a license and tag but they don't hunt. A douche I work with told me his step dad has killed 2 bucks so far. I said how's that cause your only allowed one. He said his mom has a license and tag and he tagged it with hers. That's fuggin bullshit. It's assholes like him as well as the ODNR that are wiping the herd out. It's a sad day when I feel bad about shooting another doe, and if I do it will be my last for the year. I feel that as a hunter I must do my part in conservation since the ODNR can't.

LonewolfNopack

The woods
There's also people who are having their spouses get a license and tag but they don't hunt. A douche I work with told me his step dad has killed 2 bucks so far. I said how's that cause your only allowed one. He said his mom has a license and tag and he tagged it with hers. That's fuggin bullshit. It's assholes like him as well as the ODNR that are wiping the herd out. It's a sad day when I feel bad about shooting another doe, and if I do it will be my last for the year. I feel that as a hunter I must do my part in conservation since the ODNR can't.

Turn his a$$ in. That would seriously be an easy bust. All they would have to do is ask his wife questions about shooting it, realize she doesn't know crap, and she breaks down and admits that he shot it. Happens all the time. He wouldn't have to know who turned him in. It could be a random check for all he knows. Heck give me his info and i ll do it.

Boone

*Supporting Member*
N.E. O-H-I-O
I think that chart got mislabeled and the dates are reversed!!
LOL. Sad but true.

I know it is only opening day stats and the full gun week stats are more meaningful, but check out these numbers in view of the population trend chart:

Opening day of gun 2010: 39,071
2013: 22,620 :smiley_blackeye:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
LOL. Sad but true.

I know it is only opening day stats and the full gun week stats are more meaningful, but check out these numbers in view of the population trend chart:

Opening day of gun 2010: 39,071
2013: 22,620 :smiley_blackeye:

Not my fault. I tried. First deer I have ever tagged on opening day of gun season. I did my part to help the ODNR. haha Very very sad reversal of numbers in 3 years though. No doubt about it.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Turn his a$$ in. That would seriously be an easy bust. All they would have to do is ask his wife questions about shooting it, realize she doesn't know crap, and she breaks down and admits that he shot it. Happens all the time. He wouldn't have to know who turned him in. It could be a random check for all he knows. Heck give me his info and i ll do it.

I'll see if I can gather some Intel.