Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

2 3/4 tss

Bighoun52

In the woods
I don’t believe any company is making a 2 3/4 inch 20 gauge tss shell. If anyone knows of any please pass along. My son, who is 7, is going to spring gobbler hunt this year. He has a nice 410 that shoots well and he will prob use, but it got me thinking. As amazing as these tss shells are, why hasn’t a company went to a 2 3/4 inch shell for the larger shot guns. Little less kick and I’m sure would still preform well.

Bighoun52

In the woods
I don’t believe any company is making a 2 3/4 inch 20 gauge tss shell. If anyone knows of any please pass along. My son, who is 7, is going to spring gobbler hunt this year. He has a nice 410 that shoots well and he will prob use, but it got me thinking. As amazing as these tss shells are, why hasn’t a company went to a 2 3/4 inch shell for the larger shot guns. Little less kick and I’m sure would still preform well.
Never mind. I see a couple company’s have started

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish

Bighoun52

In the woods

Have you tried them?

I don't buy that Turkey Load hype. I buy a box of Winchester Supreme or XX in 7.5 and shoot them with the full choke tube from my 20 ga. I never saw one leave either. Have shot them out to 40+ also. I do have a turkey choke tube for my Benellli but it's still in the package. I shoot for where the feathers end and the skin begins on their neck. Benelli's tend to shoot high. Kind of miss my Remington LT 20 Special Field though. To buy another now it would cost me as much as I paid for the Benelli new and the Rem's. are used. 21" barrel on the Rem and it carried like a Daisey Red Rider! The Benelli has a 26 or 28" barrel on it and I can't tell you how many rabbits lived to see another day thanks to clanking that barrel into a tree or bush when swinging on those
Rab-Jets as they shot out of the thicket. That shorter barrel is the ticket. To have the Benelli cut down and re-choked would be expensive though.

Reactions: GoetsTalon

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
I don't buy that Turkey Load hype. I buy a box of Winchester Supreme or XX in 7.5 and shoot them with the full choke tube from my 20 ga. I never saw one leave either. Have shot them out to 40+ also. I do have a turkey choke tube for my Benellli but it's still in the package. I shoot for where the feathers end and the skin begins on their neck. Benelli's tend to shoot high. Kind of miss my Remington LT 20 Special Field though. To buy another now it would cost me as much as I paid for the Benelli new and the Rem's. are used. 21" barrel on the Rem and it carried like a Daisey Red Rider! The Benelli has a 26 or 28" barrel on it and I can't tell you how many rabbits lived to see another day thanks to clanking that barrel into a tree or bush when swinging on those
Rab-Jets as they shot out of the thicket. That shorter barrel is the ticket. To have the Benelli cut down and re-choked would be expensive though.
If you pattern premium turkey shells the difference on pattern density is there whether you believe it or not and whether your hunting style benefits from it or not.

Just like the TSS truly makes a .410 a 40 yard gun and my 20 ga benelli patterns just as many pellets out at 65 yards as the .410 does at 40 with them. The density difference is what allows you to use the smaller shot but yet still have the kinetic energy to kill cleanly.

If you pattern premium turkey shells the difference on pattern density is there whether you believe it or not and whether your hunting style benefits from it or not.

Just like the TSS truly makes a .410 a 40 yard gun and my 20 ga benelli patterns just as many pellets out at 65 yards as the .410 does at 40 with them. The density difference is what allows you to use the smaller shot but yet still have the kinetic energy to kill cleanly.
Oh, no doubt they are designed to do just that! I didn't mean to imply otherwise, sorry.

Where I'm coming from is I like 25 for the price of 10 and further, a dead turkey can't tell the difference! I'm not against them, they just aren't for me.
When i go shoot trap for fun, my Benelli or formerly my Remington, both 20 gauges, broke as many birds as the other guys expensive trap and skeet guns in 12 Gauge. From time to time I might even break more! They shoot 3 rounds or more every week, while I go occasionally to shoot 2 rounds. To each their own. I really don't pay attention what other folks shoot or shoot with as I am shooting against my own abilities. But dang if they don't keep score there and all talk about it too! They even post them scores in their newsletters.