Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

1st food plot recommendation

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Do you have a good suggestion on where to find them, nursery's?

i do but i prefer to PM them as i don't need more competition for trees as it gets harder every year to find good quality supplies. I have spent a bunch of money and time finding good suppliers so i hold them fairly close. I just ask that you respect that.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
there is a lot in that question and it all depends on when and where...if you like sheds and early kills on does is RR soybeans. if its later season and early rut, turnips and BF oats. clover always generally....some years are good and some are bad depending on acorn crop and cover

I highly recommend Eagle forage soybeans. They are RR and stay green a month or so longer than typical ag beans. They're not cheap, but with eagle seeds you definitely get what you pay for.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
This. I wouldn't waste time spring planting, but it is a good time to work up the ground and get the lime/fertilizer per the soil test. Spring browse is a very good food source for deer. Whitetails eat something like 200-300 different kinds of plants, so there is amble amounts of food for them when things start to warm up. Once the beans are up, they will carry them through summer. The Drury brothers started preaching "green to green" a few years back and I think it is a great strategy. You have a good chance to plant a hearty fall mix in mid-July that will carry them once the beans turn and the weather worsens. I use Merit Seed out of Berlin, Ohio. They have a great catalog you can get, will do custom blends, and are great to deal with. My blend include winter wheat, oats, Austrian winter peas, turnips, and a splash of clover. Similar commercial blends are available, but I prefer to buy local and know what I am getting; i.e. no fillers. A hearty blend of brassicas or other tubers is also a great option. The groundhog raddish from Merit Seed is amazing! That'll get them through and provides tons of leafy greens. This was my larger plot last year. Little heavy on the radish for my liking, but we will tweak that this year.

That's a 31" ATA bow...

How many lbs. per ac. did you plant? I assume that's Merit's Groundhog radish? After seeing my turnips tops all eaten of it must be good deer browse.