Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Youth quad

Floki

So I’m currently thinking about buying my boy/7 a Can-Am Ds 90 x 2020 or 2019 . I’ve done some research never personally rode nor know much about Cam-Am. He has totally zero riding experience other than them plastic plug in jeeps.

Anyhow doing some research I saw it’s the widest based atv for kids. Then I also saw that it’s not really made by Can Am. Like most other youth Atvs the motors are made over seas. Etc etc. so would I be better off buying a knock atv. Much cheaper? I also read mixed reviews on the speed out out of the DS90x wasn’t that great..

At this point any insight would be much appreciated. I’m open to all options. I’ve considered a 250 model as well just not sure if he could reach foot pegs.

Quantum673

Black Hat Cajun
Supporting Member
Had a DS90 for my son many years ago. Back then they were Bombardier. It was a good first ATV for him. Had adjustable governor so I could limit speed. Only bad thing about it was it had a low clearance so wasn't very good in much snow.

Reactions: Floki

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
I would only stay away from the Japanese models due to part availability. We have been looking for our 7 & 6yr old boys, landed on an '04 Yamaha Raptor 80. I wouldn't hesitate on a Honda, Polaris, Yamaha, Zuki or Can Am

Concordmeadowsfarm

SE Ohio
Both of my boys had Polaris 90’s a Scrambler and Sportsman. They also have limiter screw. I liked the sportsman more, it had reverse. That sounds small issue but when they’re too small to turn it around it’s a pain in the butt. As a race and farm guy. I really back Polaris ATVs.

Reactions: Floki

Floki

From what I’ve read it’s the Japanese that are making most the youth quad motors now. The bigger names are putting their stamp on it . Honda Suzuki cam am etc etc. Can am stopped making their motors in Canada in 06-07.

The Can Am Ds 90 has the widest wheel base and double A frame arms. Little better shocks than the regular ds 90 and also has forward and reverse. With the screw in governors.

My main concern is the speed. Is it fast enough don’t want to pay for something that goes 15 miles per hour top speed. Nor do I want to pay for a name brand just because it’s stamped on the plastics.(meaning a knock of Japan motor that’s been inflated 1000 percent). I would like the kid to get 3 years or so out of it before he wants to upgrade. I sorta tried to answer everyone’s replies.To what I’m thinking.

Floki

Let him take the Hummer out back.

Nope last time I did that my self I had to call in a big rig to get my shit un stuck was buried along with three other trucks got mine out then the big rig got stuck had to pull him out . Then the other trucks.

150 dollars at car wash pointless with 3 guys scrubbing. Never 4wheel with the windows down.

This all started in gun season leaving the bar buddy was driving my Hummer did a doughnut in my back yard. Yeah I was like get the fugg out “nickel” So yeah switched seats and it was on. Mind you just got it and he was the first to take in dirt.

Long story short. Everyone’s truck got buried . My buddy had a Chevy truck like a 150 ford model or so. Decided he need to go do some doughnuts to. Funny as fugg he gets in truck starts peeling tires hits the mud pit . Truck sinks instantly.😂😂gets out cussing kicks it falls face first in to the mud.

It was a great night next morning not so much. Following spring. Disaster tried mowing back yard was like riding a bucking bronco. Had to have the yard smoothed back down. Still isn’t perfect some spots ya just got to do doughnuts in or your bouncing all over the place.

So yeah I can say the hummer will not be in the back yard agin. But really I can’t guarantee it. 🤷‍♂️

I also lost my deer cart that night going through the pound don’t know if I ripped it off going through forward or reverse to this day. Well not so much a pound like a 15 foot wide by 4 foot deep spot. Not sure why it’s even there?🤔 maybe just for that reason?

Reactions: giles

Clay Showalter

Southern member northern landowner
Guilford County
We have a suzuki lt80, it is 18 years old and all 3 of my boys took turns with it. I put a widening kit on the front. It is a tank, as with most of the older Japanese motors, it will last forever

Reactions: 5Cent

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
My cousin has a small shop in Tennessee. He cusses those Chinese knockoffs all the time. They aren't the most reliable. Parts are not consistent and hard to find. Stick with a name brand. That's where my knowledge ends on smaller quads

Floki

Haha! I remember the story well😂.

Load up and go ride one. Most places will let you cruise around the parking lot or whatever.
Nah I’m going to leave it to Santa Claus. Think I’m going to go with cam am it’s the widest platform. He is next one tho will definitely be a Honda. Well see.

Reactions: giles