Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Xbow's 2018-19 Buck

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
This year started a little slow. I had 6 -7 real good bucks on camera but nothing to get extra excited about. However, I was getting excited to take Mikki and Braydon hunting and share with them.
Saturday morning I was sitting in a stand and thinking about all the hours I put in. Focusing on what I was really waiting on? I didn't honestly have a buck on film worth the wait. And I questioned the "Fun" I was having waiting on a Unicorn... I started thinking about how I more-so enjoyed taking Joy and the kids hunting and how 2 people got to enjoy one deer this way. And how I was out here to shoot a deer~~so shoot one! While eating breakfast that morning, I decided that I was going to shoot the next real good buck that come along. I have a different property that had a nice 9 and 12 pt. running around.
1541427037196.png

1541427090077.png
1541427037196.png1541427090077.png

Brian and I had just moved a stand on this particular corner a few days ago. I decided to switch properties and if either one showed and offered a good shot, I was gonna take it.
I got in this stand about 2:30. Noticed a scrape had opened up about 10' from a trophy rock I had put on a stump in the fall. I had a totally different attitude and was excited to be hunting again! It was a normal sit it the woods until about 5:45. Leaned around the tree to my left just to have a look around....There was the 9 all stretched out sniffing towards the scrape. He caught movement and took about 5-7 steps in a hurry away from me. Then he made a big mistake and stopped to see what had spooked him? Instinct had my bow up and crosshairs were on his mid section. Left eye said about 35 yds... so I held the 35 mark right on his mid section and soon heard that Hollow Thump we so Love to hear! Watched him run about 40 yds through the woods and stop again....He looked back, stumbled and then all 4 feet were in the air! I felt like a Kid at Christmas....And I must have because Joy said there was more excitement in my phone call than she had seen in any of my deer since she knew me.
If you happen to not be having as much fun as you used to...Just Shoot The Deer! I mean that's what we're out there for.....Right?
Now I can't hardly wait to get someone on stand and share their stories and success!

twireman

Kingston, OH
Congrats again buddy. Good job and way to get back to what makes ya happy!! I absolutely cannot wait till my kids can hunt and we can get back to the basics!!!

I’m getting worn out chasing ghosts as well!

Reactions: xbowguy

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Looking forward to the next few write ups! This one was great. The next ones will be smiles of Joy and the kids. No offense Rick. They are cuter. Lol

Reactions: xbowguy