Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Worth the risk to carry?

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
I am a solid, old school carry kinda guy. Compact, 45/1911 style Colt at best. I carry solid, quality guns. That being
said, when I see the sale at Palmetto for

“TAURUS G2S 9MM SUBCOMPACT PISTOL, ” for $179.00, I wonder if such a low priced gun is reliable enough to stake your life on. I hear Taurus had improved. I shot one the other day. There were no functioning issues in 50
Rounds. I did not like the trigger.There are times however, I would like to have something small in a pocket.

So what’s your thoughts?

Reactions: 5Cent

Kempire

Personally, for a carry weapon I'd spend the extra money on the tried and true offerings out there. There are so many rock solid, reliable carry guns on the market now (glock, springfield, sig, s&w, ruger, etc) that you can get for decent prices. What you are looking at may end up being a decent gun, but if it's something you may potentially use to defend your life, I don't think anything should be left to doubt. Just my 2 cents for what it's worth.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Isaacorps

Columbus
I had a Taurus once. Never again...good that they have a lifetime warranty but I should never need it. Sold that thing right quick and let the buyer deal with the warrranty process. He said it took forever and a year to get it back. Appararently that wasn’t the only one that needed fixed 😒

Reactions: 5Cent

Kempire

Imho, I haven't found a carry gun out there that can beat the Glock 26 overall. It's not a super sexy gun (unless you're a Glock guy), but as far as checking the boxes on attributes people look for in a carry gun (size, weight, capacity, reliability, versatility) it checks every box. Others out there may beat it in some respective categories, but not many can stand strong in all of them.

With that said, carry guns are very much a personal preference. As mentioned above, I think there are a lot of quality offerings out there nowadays. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the G26, but your milage may vary. You have to find something that you feel good with and trust, just look for something with a proven track record.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Imho, I haven't found a carry gun out there that can beat the Glock 26 overall. It's not a super sexy gun (unless you're a Glock guy), but as far as checking the boxes on attributes people look for in a carry gun (size, weight, capacity, reliability, versatility) it checks every box. Others out there may beat it in some respective categories, but not many can stand strong in all of them.

With that said, carry guns are very much a personal preference. As mentioned above, I think there are a lot of quality offerings out there nowadays. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the G26, but your milage may vary. You have to find something that you feel good with and trust, just look for something with a proven track record.

I'm in this same boat. I've got a handful of carry guns and nowadays I carry the G26 exclusively. It just fits me and like mentioned above it "checks every box" in the ideal carry attributes column. I've handled a few Taurus guns and just don't really care for them. I've gotten accustomed to the feel and characteristics of Glocks though so my opinion is heavily biased.

Reactions: 5Cent and at1010

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
I often question the effectiveness of the .380 in general let alone specific brands (I don't and won't own a Taurus), but I have found it to be a great "better than nothing at all" fit for the times I would go without.

My main is a XDS. Pocket/backup is LCP (.380) or S&W snubby (.38spcl)

I prescribe to reliability testing and gut instinct for confidence. I once read shoot 400rds before carrying and then decide. I have stuck to it since and don't question the reliability of any of the 3. But, the .380 is still a nag.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I often question the effectiveness of the .380 in general let alone specific brands (I don't and won't own a Taurus), but I have found it to be a great "better than nothing at all" fit for the times I would go without.

My main is a XDS. Pocket/backup is LCP (.380) or S&W snubby (.38spcl)

I prescribe to reliability testing and gut instinct for confidence. I once read shoot 400rds before carrying and then decide. I have stuck to it since and don't question the reliability of any of the 3. But, the .380 is still a nag.

I questioned this also and found some studies that were done on the FBI homicide database. Thousands of cases on lethal shootings from LEO, homicide, etc. When it came to single and multiple shot lethality the 380 was only a couple percentage points below the 9mm and the 9mm only a few below the .45. Between shootings that resulted in a fatality there may have only been an 8% difference between 380 & .45. That gap shrank as more rounds found their mark. At the end of it, my realization was that getting shot is deadly and the calliber really doesn't matter as much as I thought.

Understanding this only dealt with lethality and not stopping power I dug deeper. The vast majority of selfe defense shootings happen at very close range with the average being about 4 feet, and of those something like 80%, only one round is fired. Rarely more than three. This demonstrated to me that the act of getting shot, or even shot at, is usually enough to stop the majority of attacks from progressing. Knowing these two things, getting shot is deadly, and getting shot sucks, made me feel more comfortable with a 380. My Kimber Micro is 6+1 of 380 and I can run that thing dry in less than 2.5 seconds very accurately at selfe defense distances. My standard practice drill is a three shot string to hopefully develop reactive memory for if the time ever comes. It's also such a breeze to carry. IWB, pocket, kidney, even in the pocket of my carhart it's completely undetectable. That helps greatly with the first rule of a gunfight. With that said I still carry my .45 from time to time as despite all the data, there's comfort in 12+1 of .45 ACP.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I owned a Taurus once. Couldn't find an ammo it wouldn't jam. Run away.

Glock 26 is one of my favorites. Most often I carry the S&W 642 as you can't screw it up. I also rotate the XDS45 in there on occasion although it is often stuffed in the seat of the truck when out working rather than on my person.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I owned a Taurus once. Couldn't find an ammo it wouldn't jam. Run away.

Glock 26 is one of my favorites. Most often I carry the S&W 642 as you can't screw it up. I also rotate the XDS45 in there on occasion although it is often stuffed in the seat of the truck when out working rather than on my person.

I have a Taurus Millennium Pro in .45 and have never had a FTF or FTE problem with any ammo I've ran. Probably have over 3k rounds through it too. Funny how results vary from one gun to another. I also have a S&W 642. Took it on out walk the other night just because I haven't carried it in a while. Accurate as hell for fixed sights. One of those guns that shoots better than I can.