Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Wind Indicator Feather

While I was cutting, trimming, etc. with the wing feathers, I noticed that I'd saved the tail feathers too. :unsure: I was thinking they sure are pretty, but not strong enough for flight feathers for arrows. Then I remember seeing "wind indicator" feathers on some traditional bows. :sneaky:
I cut near the tip of the feather, but left some of the stem to tie on a piece of sinew. I tied a serving knot with a tag end to be tied on my recurve and longbow, for wind indication/direction. (y) Any slight breeze will kick these feathers and give a constant wind direction. :cool: I'm having fun with these feathers and while I'm rehabbing this knee, there ain't much else going on here. :)
Wind Feather.jpg

Reactions: triple_duece

Jamie

Ohio
Those are nice. I always have used a wind indicator, but I stopped bothering with the feathers because they always seemed to get torn off my bowstring or quiver. Did not matter where I attached it. Now I use a piece of frayed nylon thread. Catches the slightest breeze, never gets torn off or tangled around my bowstring.

IMG_4186.jpg

@giles
I understand your train of thought, but if the feather is moving, other things are moving too. :unsure: I typically wear a leafy suit or jacket, so there's a lot of "things" moving around me and my location. (y)
However, I do like the idea of the frayed string that @Jamie is referring to....even a piece of yarn would work too. 💯

Jamie

Ohio
I do lots of that, too, but mostly to study air movement in a particular spot with various conditions and wind directions when there aren't any deer around. Excellent remedy for tree stand boredom, lol.

Reactions: Bowhunter57