Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Who's shooting? Tuning? Tinkering?

PSE13

Shelby
CB523C7F-CA4F-4C1C-89A2-3E90F3F09EE6.jpeg

Made it out after work and ended with a good 40 yard group. Happy to be shooting again lol

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Lots of quiet time in the stand since my miss to think over what I did wrong and what I can change to eliminate the margin for error next time. @brock ratcliff reminded me to "enjoy the aim" which I most certainly did not do. I allowed the chaos of the moment and his demeanor to control mine. That got me thinking about my "mantra" and how I really need to be super intentional about walking through it in the heat of the moment. I rushed through it and didn't execute the shot because of it. Here's what emerged from my quiet contemplation:

Pick a spot.
Enjoy the aim.
Trust the process.

Anchor. Bubble. Spot. Squeeze.

I have probably swung the pendulum too far towards the heavy arrows, so I either need to slow down and range deer before shooting, think through the yardage better than I did by being more aware of my surroundings and more intentional in my aiming, or I can close the proverbial "pin gap" with equipment changes in the off season. Or a combo of all of those. As much as I hate saying it, I choked...

Good news is I know that stand is a perennial all-star and I'm still gonna grind it out until I redeem myself, even if it takes a few years!

OhioWhiteTails

Supporting Member
Flatlands
Going through the shot process calmly and correctly in the heat of an intense encounter can derail quickly. I'd like to think that each time we have these experiences, you add some composure for the next time. Keep working, Jesse.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Lots of quiet time in the stand since my miss to think over what I did wrong and what I can change to eliminate the margin for error next time. @brock ratcliff reminded me to "enjoy the aim" which I most certainly did not do. I allowed the chaos of the moment and his demeanor to control mine. That got me thinking about my "mantra" and how I really need to be super intentional about walking through it in the heat of the moment. I rushed through it and didn't execute the shot because of it. Here's what emerged from my quiet contemplation:

Pick a spot.
Enjoy the aim.
Trust the process.

Anchor. Bubble. Spot. Squeeze.

I have probably swung the pendulum too far towards the heavy arrows, so I either need to slow down and range deer before shooting, think through the yardage better than I did by being more aware of my surroundings and more intentional in my aiming, or I can close the proverbial "pin gap" with equipment changes in the off season. Or a combo of all of those. As much as I hate saying it, I choked...

Good news is I know that stand is a perennial all-star and I'm still gonna grind it out until I redeem myself, even if it takes a few years

Mantras are great and all, but like you just realized, sometimes that shit just goes out the window when it’s go-time. Try not to view that miss as a failure. It was just a reminder… No one is immune to getting caught up in the heat of the moment. You’ll get another shot buddy. I would almost bet on it.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Are you saying that your possibly too heavy?
I'm saying like many things in life, it's about balance. Do I need 605 grains, or is 500 enough? Should I shoot a faster bow to handle the heavier arrow? I think those are questions I might explore. My pin gaps are big and my margin for error, small. Obviously lower and heavier works as demonstrated by the "real" bow hunters here that choose old school methods of take. So I'm not definitively saying my arrows are too heavy, but I am questioning the balance of all variables.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Copy that… I went from 450 to 650 and settled on 525 is the balance I shoot really well at and drives an arrow deep. I changed my first pin to 30 yards as most of my shots in that range. I shoot 4 inches high at 20 which aiming at the heart is a dead ass deer. Just some thoughts to share

Reactions: bowhunter1023

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
The repurposing of the "workshop" has been a slow and steady process, but I did get a few tools sold so I could buy another. I've went back and forth on building a draw board vs. buying an OEM version. This is really the last tool I need to elevate my tuning game, so it made for a logical choice when trading "toys for toys". The only bad reviews I saw were people that didn't realize there are two sizes when they ordered it. It doesn't take up any additional space and with it being on the press, you can really fine tune things. I committed to moving the bottom part of my tool box downstairs and will be mounting the press and vise on it. Hoping to share some pics very soon!

1645804257107.png

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
The repurposing of the "workshop" has been a slow and steady process, but I did get a few tools sold so I could buy another. I've went back and forth on building a draw board vs. buying an OEM version. This is really the last tool I need to elevate my tuning game, so it made for a logical choice when trading "toys for toys". The only bad reviews I saw were people that didn't realize there are two sizes when they ordered it. It doesn't take up any additional space and with it being on the press, you can really fine tune things. I committed to moving the bottom part of my tool box downstairs and will be mounting the press and vise on it. Hoping to share some pics very soon!

View attachment 146548

Pretty sweet little contraption! You’ll definitely want a scale to hook up to the drawboard. I don’t know how much that LCA scale goes for, but you can use any cheap luggage scale from Walmart or Amazon.