Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Who's shooting? Tuning? Tinkering?

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Excellent tip, Brock! I’ll add that having someone film from behind you in slow-mo is another great way to identify arrow flight issues.

I’ve been tinkering with my recurve lately as well. Last fall I shot with a clicker (draw check) device and I “thought” that I liked it. This summer I started feeling like I wasn’t getting enough back muscle engagement in my draw. After some filming and analysis, I determined I was under drawing the bow. Also, the clicker seemed to become more of a distraction than an assistance. So a few weeks ago I decided to take it off. Best decision I’ve made in a while. Immediately started getting into my back the way I should, and as a result getting much more consistent groups. Through this process I also evolved to shooting with only 2 fingers under, instead of 3. My release has since become cleaner and more consistent as well. Last night I did some shooting and it was likely my best practice session of the season. Just one of those days when every shot you make seems to go right where you’re looking. Hard to describe it really. My best comparison would be to pitching, when you have a game that you’re ultra dialed in, like you can hit any spot you want without any thought whatsoever. It’s a great feeling.

F4A9EC8B-EBD1-44C1-A490-9F08F2A23757.jpeg

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Nice shooting Jim!
I just came in from a couple hours on our range. So frustrating. Shot like crap mostly. Then, as I have to go in to work, it downs on me what I was doing wrong. The last three or four group from 25 yards would have fit inside a softball easily. Just so frustrating when you know there is just something little you are doing differently (incorrectly) and can’t figure out what it is. That’s the beauty of a compound bow - checks and balances. Even a bad day with a compound isn’t all that bad on a deer size target.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
No doubt about that Jamie!
I was so aggravated about all the time I wasted shooting incorrectly today that I busted out my bow as soon as I came home from the shop. Got another couple hours in tonight, doing it correctly. As aggravating as poor shooting is, it does not compare to the pleasure of good shooting. The late night session was a pure joy. Here is a pic of the first group at 25 yards. I was shooting at the yellowish piece of foam. Apparently I need to adjust my sight or something. I probably shot 200 or more arrows tonight and I could count on one hand the number of arrows that didn’t land pretty close to the mark. Fun. I’m pretty sure a well tuned bow shoots a poorly shot arrow far better than a “sorta tuned” bow.
386AA8C5-D345-4FB1-874C-97D99374F0C2.jpeg

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I ordered components to build some 12% FOC arrows at 575 grains or so. No complaints with my current setup, just experimenting. Went over the bow with a fine toothed comb tonight checking ATA and brace height, then waxed the string and tightened everything down. As soon as I finish my arrow build, I'll do one last paper tune and we'll be ready to rock!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Built K the bolts she wanted with blue lighted nocks and purple fletchings, and swapped out the red dot on the crossbow. After 6 bolts, I had it back in line and she promptly shot her first 3 arrows of the year into a coffee cup at 20 steps. Going to have her shoot 3 arrows a night 5-6 nights a week from here on out. My 3 year old also fired a few tonight and still managed to hit the target. Crossbows, so easy even a toddler than do it 😂

IMG_20200812_191420_563.jpg

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Nice work Dad and K.

Went and shot a round of 3-D.
30 target course. Didn't keep score just wanted the reps. I did have 2 misses. Overall though I shot pretty well. Feeling better about my shooting. 10 arrows a day from here on out.
That’s one thing... I used to shoot 3D pretty frequently when I was shooting my compound. I’ve yet to shoot a course with my recurve but I wish I could! We don’t really have a decent course nearby anymore.

OhioWhiteTails

Supporting Member
Flatlands
I bought some heavier arrows tonight and need to get the single pin dialed back in. Probably shot a hundred arrows this evening. I have my new 20 and 60 yard numbers pretty close. Tomorrow I hope to have the new tape on. I'm definitely liking the extra penetration I'm getting with these skinnier heavy shafts. Giggity.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I bought some heavier arrows tonight and need to get the single pin dialed back in. Probably shot a hundred arrows this evening. I have my new 20 and 60 yard numbers pretty close. Tomorrow I hope to have the new tape on. I'm definitely liking the extra penetration I'm getting with these skinnier heavy shafts. Giggity.
You’ll like it even better when one plows through a big ol buck deer. 😎. Good stuff buddy.