Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Who remembers these????

Clay Showalter

Southern member northern landowner
Guilford County
can you imagine just cutting and splitting enough wood to heat your house with an axe and crosscut saw?

Funny you say that. House we are building will have a wood fireplace, mostly for look and feel for the wife, but it will help with heat.

So the grader staked all the logs up for me, my youngest son saw them and ask if they were building the house with them. I was like no that is work for you. He was like huh, I said yes you gonna be splitting and stacking that for your mom’s fireplace. Lol

Fletch

Supporting Member
Funny you say that. House we are building will have a wood fireplace, mostly for look and feel for the wife, but it will help with heat.

So the grader staked all the logs up for me, my youngest son saw them and ask if they were building the house with them. I was like no that is work for you. He was like huh, I said yes you gonna be splitting and stacking that for your mom’s fireplace. Lol

Clay..... Couldn't he just say: Alexa split firewood...

Geezer II

Bountiful Hunting Grounds Beyond.
portage county oh
I was a brakeman on the Newburg & South Shore - mostly served the cleveland steel mills and ore docks and local factories - we had batt lanterns with 2 bulbs and a big loop so you could carry it on your arm - can' t imagine climb on and off moving cars and set n brakes with one of those carbide lanterns - would be a good hand warm on 3rd trick in the winter when your outside all nite - dang

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I was a brakeman on the Newburg & South Shore - mostly served the cleveland steel mills and ore docks and local factories - we had batt lanterns with 2 bulbs and a big loop so you could carry it on your arm - can' t imagine climb on and off moving cars and set n brakes with one of those carbide lanterns - would be a good hand warm on 3rd trick in the winter when your outside all nite - dang
My Grandfather was a brakeman with the Erie Lackawanna and used the same lantern. High tech for it s day 😂