Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

When's your rut vacation?

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
I don't plan on taking a week off at once, but rather play the weather and what I observe leading up to Halloween and do a day or two at a time. Likely between 11/1 and 11/15.
Seems most our action starts like clockwork about October 26th and stays pretty good until Nov 10th. Every year its almost crazy how its hot and heavy as round here on those dates

Reactions: OhioWhiteTails

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I save all of my vacation for hunting season....so I have the entire month of November off. Hoping that I’ll be retired by this time next year!

Retirement and deer hunting go hand in hand, just gotta make sure you don’t burn yourself out like I do every year lol

Reactions: Sgt Fury

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
My wife hasn't seen me on her birthday (11/12) the past few years. The rut has happened on the 13th - 14th the past few years around here.

I prefer to hunt the pre-rut and get my buck out of the way so I can make my wife's birthday, which is typically the last week of October and the first week of November. At least, that's been my plan. We'll see if I can get back in the groove of things this year...

Pre-rut Bucks:

Attachments

• 2009 11pt Ohio Buck.jpg
    2009 11pt Ohio Buck.jpg
    316.2 KB · Views: 408
Last edited:

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
I'll add why I prefer the pre-rut - I like the racks not to be messed up and I really like the weather conditions much better than the later parts due to my arthritis for bow hunting, however I also like to getting my rifles out in the winter time TOO! Get me a nice size doe and plenty of coyote hunting from January thru March.

Reactions: Bigslam51

Isaacorps

Columbus
11-2 to 11-9 with gun week off also. still have 12 more days after that to use so maybe a rifle hunt in ky also. they bring their rifle season in right about the rut and ive always wanted to try it.
I was thinking of doing the same thing with KYs rifle season this year. Seems like it would be a good time. I’m doing their early muzzleloader this year as well so I’ll already have the license and tag. Otherwise I’ll just be getting out as much as possible from late October on and take a couple days for gun season

Isaacorps

Columbus
The play I have to make is we are off Christmas Eve through New Years, so I can hit waterfowl in the AM and deer in the PM. My wife should be off then too, so I'll have a nice stretch to put some food up! I'm also considering a long weekend at Shawnee on youth weekend. Hike way back where people ain't toting kids and hunt a nice funnel. Any takers? :cool:
I used to hunt Shawnee back in the day when Ohio still had early muzzy in certain areas and Shawnee was one of them. Super rugged and remote but access is good with all the bridle trails. Lots of big ones killed down that way every year. Sounds like a good time, good luck!