Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What are these bugs?

Buckmaster

Portage
They just arrived in Portage Co. I haven’t seen them since the early 80’s. My family named them Joe Bugs. My parents friends Joe and Marti came over to have an outside cookout. We got infested with those things. Seems they were attracted to Italian salad dressing as they flocked to our salads. That was our first experience of them in the summer of circa 82-83. We named them after Joe. I really haven’t seen those “joe bugs” since that year.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
If they get too bad, grab a jug of insecticide. We use Talstar P with our 2nd and 3rd round lawn treatments now as an option. We use it to target mosquitoes, but there is a long list of other insects that it controls such as beetles, ticks, spiders, ants, etc. It doesn't specifically list "click beetle", but I would bet it would get rid of them. Nice thing about Talstar is you can spray it pretty much anywhere as long you follow the label. We spray landscape beds, patios, gutters, up in trees, anywhere that would be a hot spots for mosquitoes. We are getting pretty good reviews so far. Been seeing close to a month of control per treatment if we don't get a ton of rain.