Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What a waste

GOOSE48

I was lucky enough to shoot my 2nd biggest buck ever Saturday just to find out I had to discard all the meat. When I went to butcher it I cut into monster pocket of pus. It was disgusting and smelled really bad. after watching it run out for a long time all of a sudden a piece of a carbon arrow fell out. I called 2 different meat processing places they both said they would not recommend eating it that it could be in the meat if the infection got into the blood. It is still a trophy but yet disappointing.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Seen this a few times in the past. ONE OF THE NASTIEST THINGS EVER! It can also happen with no arrow or apparent injuries. Bright side is you have the rack, the memories and a wonderful day in the woods.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I was lucky enough to shoot my 2nd biggest buck ever Saturday just to find out I had to discard all the meat. When I went to butcher it I cut into monster pocket of pus. It was disgusting and smelled really bad. after watching it run out for a long time all of a sudden a piece of a carbon arrow fell out. I called 2 different meat processing places they both said they would not recommend eating it that it could be in the meat if the infection got into the blood. It is still a trophy but yet disappointing.

Had something similar happen to me and my deer I shot the first day of deer gun season. While gutting him I had nasty stinky yellowish puss come oozing out of a hole in front of his left front shoulder. Apparently from an antler gouge. After immediately skinning him and getting him cleaned out and hanging in my brothers garage that day we noticed the meat had an odor and a different color to it, not the normal color anyway. After letting him hanging till Wednesday I took him to a meat processor to have him process it for me. He and 3 of his assistants came out and inspected the deer and agreed the deer had an infection from the injury and was prolly carrying a fever up till the day I shot him. They tried cutting into the backstraps and they had a foul odor....UGH!!! I hated losing all that meat but they all advised me to not eat it. Really disappointed about that so I know how you feel.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
There you go Sir! Congrats again. You and your boy both had a good year!
35450.jpeg

GOOSE48

That's the hole going through the spine area down into the side I bet the shot haunted someone for a long time.

GOOSE48

yea if you look at the pic of the deer right above the leg you can see the hump of the puss sack. Pretty unique also the eye guards are almost separate horns.