Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Were on the boards with a big Darke county doe!

We're finally on the boards with a nice doe out of Darke County. We got a call last night that a doe had been shot a little before 7pm and they were confident it was gut shot. Initially we had planned on coming up around 3-4 pm but after I got off the phone I kept thinking about him saying he hears coyotes sometimes in the area. I made the call to make it in to work a little late and drive up and track it early this morning. Luckily we did, because the coyotes beat us to it, but we were in time to save it. The track aged about 13 hours and there was very little sign but Finley went to work and started working her way in the direction the hunter said it went with no direction given. We came out of the thicket and into a big field and Finley overshot her turn and I could tell she was "searching". Since there was no sign I restarted her at the edge where we came out. She made an immediate right and I started seing blood. She quickly took me to two different beds and about 50 yards later was standing on her hind legs trying to wind it. We went in a large circle a few times until she finally located it about 15 feet away. Overall we tracked about 600 yards counting the missed turn but the deer traveled about 200-250. This stuff was super tall and THICK and I'd imagine would have been a tough one to find without a dog. Congratulations to the awesome hunters and to Finley for getting the win today.

Attachments

• 20231010_075237.jpg
    20231010_075237.jpg
    416.3 KB · Views: 87