Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Went and Did The Thing.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Picked up a Browning Wasp Recurve. 45# 56""

Ill start by saying I know crap all about trad archery. It needs a string and I can pick up a flemish string from Amazon, but what about those fluffy beaver ball things, or is there something better? I've stayed away from this for so long because I know I'll end up going down yet another addictive rabbit hole.

20190525_222436.jpg
20190525_222345.jpg

Also, should I use this shelf rest? Replace it, shoot it off the shelf?

20190525_223536.jpg

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Congrats Joe! Man, our summer outing is gonna have some serious arrow slinging this year.

I use Beaver balls on my bow. They seem to help. I've also seen guys put felt on the back side of the limbs where the string makes contact. I think you can eliminate a lot of noise and vibration by simply getting your brace height dialed in to a sweet spot. Maybe do some searching online to see where other owners of this particular bow have theirs set up.

Next choice... Tab or glove? 🤔

Reactions: Jamie and Jackalope

Jamie

Ohio
you don't really NEED string silencers on your bow. they are only there to reduce string noise. like Jägermeister said, best to get you bow tuned properly before adding string silencers. I would consider removing that monstrosity glued on the shelf, but get a string and shoot it some first. it may be the case that the bow is designed to be shot with an elevated rest for proper balance and limb timing, but I would tend to doubt that. the strike plate is fine. buckle up and enjoy the ride. :)

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
you don't really NEED string silencers on your bow. they are only there to reduce string noise. like Jägermeister said, best to get you bow tuned properly before adding string silencers. I would consider removing that monstrosity glued on the shelf, but get a string and shoot it some first. it may be the case that the bow is designed to be shot with an elevated rest for proper balance and limb timing, but I would tend to doubt that. the strike plate is fine. buckle up and enjoy the ride. :)

I figured youd call the sight pin rail screwed on the front the monstrosity. :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Mike

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Frankly, I was killing deer for 20+ years with a 45# Black Bear recurve before I ever shot a compound. Shot big ol cedar Lincoln logs for arrows with a big ol Fred Bear broad head. No pins. Just a deer hair finger tab. Just kept it to 20 yards. Stay pure. Go instinctive.
So light too. Enjoy!!!

Jamie

Ohio
I figured youd call the sight pin rail screwed on the front the monstrosity. :ROFLMAO:
I was actually talking about the raised shelf thing. It's a bit much. you should be able to shoot off of the shelf directly. maybe put a new rug on it with a piece of matchstick or toothpick shoved under it in the middle.

Reactions: Sgt Fury

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
Maybe some of you guys could post some pics of your shelves...I’d be interested in the options out there also. @Jamie what is the reason for a toothpick or matchstick under the rug? Does it help keep the shaft aligned?....or does it raise the shaft up just enough so that the fletching doesn’t slam against the shelf?

Jamie

Ohio
you see in the pic that the raised shelf is radiused. many recurves, especially custom bows, have a shelf that is radiused. the reason is so there is a smaller point of contact with the arrow. a small shim under the shelf rug accomplishes the same thing in a much more subtle way.

Reactions: jagermeister