Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Well It Happened. Drew an AZ Elk Tag.

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
I don't care if there are Elk in this canyon or not. I'm hunting his bitch..Might even pack in a sixer of watermelon wine-coolers. Never know, might get lucky.

View attachment 75603

Looks like you wanting to go down on a giant penis and bringing drinks to wash your mouth out. Damn all this time I thought it was about a elk hunting trip.[emoji1787]

Last edited:
Reactions: Sgt Fury

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I'm walking around that sucker until somwone asks me what I'm doing. "looking to get me some of that wet beaver this place was supposedly named after"

Reactions: triple_duece

Fletch

Supporting Member
Something I've always wanted to do, but doubt I'll ever get the chance.. Going to be fun following along.. The Slick Trick will definately get the job done..

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Something I've always wanted to do, but doubt I'll ever get the chance.. Going to be fun following along.. The Slick Trick will definately get the job done..

Theres tons of opportunity man. A lot of areas that hold elk are not as demanding as Idaho, Montana or Colorado. The unit we drew is pretty flat for the most part. There are canyons and nasty stuff but the majority is rolling juniper and ponderosa. Start putting in to build points and you can draw a pretty good tag as a NR in about 6 or 7 years.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Found some elk. This is gonna be easy. :ROFLMAO:

299.jpeg

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Been working on the hunting bow. Sorry if this sounds all archerytalk.

I'll be shooting a Strother Infinity at 62lbs. Installed a Limbdrive pro V and a Black Hills Accent Verdict 5 pin with a slider.

For the arrows I went with Carbon Express Mayhem SDS. 125gr Slick Trick VaporTrick and a green Nocturnal.

The total arrow weight is 443gr and it's going 243 FPS with a FOC of 13.3. Shes slow but should have no problem with an elk, or a buffalo for that matter. Lol. In contrast that same bow flings a 240gr victory V1 at 320fps. I hoped she would land about 260fps but I'll take it.

Last night after I installed the rest just eyeballing it I shot it through paper to check my alignments.

20190601_225929.jpg

Next up is a good walk back tune and fine tuning the third axis.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Good grief, you’re getting technical. That bow shoots just fine by eyeball-set up. :)

Yeah a little bit of a rabbit hole for me lol. I wanted a heavy arrow with a high FOC. Didn't plan for only 243 FPS though, figured more like 260 or so. We'll see how she flings them tomorrow when I start setting the sights. You know as well as I do that there's just something about that bow that really drives arrows hard.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Heavy and slow = quiet and fuckin deadly. I like it. 👍

I have 500+ grain arrows set up for my Strother Infinity. It's incredible how easily they blow through a whitetail, with virtually zero warning (noise) whatsoever. All you have to do is master your range estimation and there won't be a critter you can't kill with that setup.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Yeah a little bit of a rabbit hole for me lol. I wanted a heavy arrow with a high FOC. Didn't plan for only 243 FPS though, figured more like 260 or so. We'll see how she flings them tomorrow when I start setting the sights. You know as well as I do that there's just something about that bow that really drives arrows hard.
When you put your paws on an elk and see firsthand how big and thick-hided they are, you’ll be glad you hit em with a hammer.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Wellllllllllllll might need to rethink the weight vs speed thing. Shot the new arrows tonight and was none too happy with the 19 inch drop between 20 and 40.

443gr at 243fps = 19 inches drop between 20-40 .473 Momentum

240gr at 320fps = 4 inches drop between 20-40 .341 momentum.

So an increase in 203 grains drops 77fps and 15 inches of drop between 20-40 yards.

The happy median is somewhere in between. My regular hunting arrows are 360gr but I haven't shot those to see drop or speed yet.

Last edited: