Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

waxing moon

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I'm not making fun. Answer the questions Denny. 😂

I'm curious as well. For example: if moon calendars, fronts ,etc say hunting is crappy. . . Do you stay out of an area you have a target buck? Do you hunt an area with low chances of seeing a shooter simply to avoid blowing out a big boy until calendars point you towards that buck? I'm curious too. I hunt when I can. Which, I do admit, is more than most are able to.

Fletch

Supporting Member
I'm not making fun. Answer the questions Denny. 😂

I'm curious as well. For example: if moon calendars, fronts ,etc say hunting is crappy. . . Do you stay out of an area you have a target buck? Do you hunt an area with low chances of seeing a shooter simply to avoid blowing out a big boy until calendars point you towards that buck? I'm curious too. I hunt when I can. Which, I do admit, is more than most are able to.

IMO..... To answer your question Phil... HUNT WHEN YOU CAN... PERIOD... All of this B/S about moon phases, rut predictions etc is just that B/S.. Life is short if you have the time to hunt, get your ass out in a tree and enjoy the outdoors...You just never know when that buck of your dreams is comming through.. But hey... That's strictly my opinion and what the hell do I know...

Denny... I loved reading your novels when I was laid up... But I said it earlier in the year and I'll say it again.... YOU BOUNCE AROUND TO MUCH....

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
I looked at my 'Prime Time' calendar before I headed out for my coyote hunt this morning.

I'd say it was spot on with regards to a prediction.

Attachments

• 20200216_103442.jpg
    20200216_103442.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 117
  • 20200216_080438.jpg
    20200216_080438.jpg
    702.9 KB · Views: 124
Reactions: hickslawns

Fletch

Supporting Member
So if I were planning my 2020 hunting vacation around Mr. Taylor's chart I would be staying home the whole last half of Oct. And most of Nov. As his graph barely hits good, let alone excellent... To the best of my knowledge the rut falls in there somewhere... Am I reading this wrong??

Stressless

Keene, OH
The Moon has no effect on the Rut (when the Does come in heat) that's scientifically based on daylight duration period. Which is not to say the moon has no effect on deer movement.

I really like this site - It's free and can be zeroed in by your local hunting zipcode.

http://www.solunarforecast.com/solunarcalendar.aspx

Here's a couple examples from the coming week. I just take a pic or "snip" and print.

Gavity.JPG

Gavity1.JPG

Best regards - Stressless

Reactions: Wildlife

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
The Moon has no effect on the Rut (when the Does come in heat) that's scientifically based on daylight duration period. Which is not to say the moon has no effect on deer movement.

I really like this site - It's free and can be zeroed in by your local hunting zipcode.

http://www.solunarforecast.com/solunarcalendar.aspx

Here's a couple examples from the coming week. I just take a pic or "snip" and print.

View attachment 95661

I agree on your rut statement and I also use the same as well along with https://www.usprimetimes.com/ on occasion.

Those are just some of the tools within my tool-bag and there's no guarantee that that I'll bag something when I use them, but I do believe they help more often than not.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
IMO..... To answer your question Phil... HUNT WHEN YOU CAN... PERIOD... All of this B/S about moon phases, rut predictions etc is just that B/S.. Life is short if you have the time to hunt, get your ass out in a tree and enjoy the outdoors...You just never know when that buck of your dreams is comming through.. But hey... That's strictly my opinion and what the hell do I know...

Denny... I loved reading your novels when I was laid up... But I said it earlier in the year and I'll say it again.... YOU BOUNCE AROUND TO MUCH....

I don't disagree. And I am truly NOT picking on Denny. Personally? I hunt when I can. If trail cams, what I've seen from the stand, or road scouting show a good buck. . .I narrow my hunting efforts to a smaller area. If I've got nothing, I may find an observation stand or low impact entry/exit stand to get some eyes on an area I haven't been in for a bit. During the rut? Get my butt in a stand. Period. Preferably high doe concentrated area or known area of a shooter. Normally a pinch point somewhere.

Denny? That dude hunts. A LOT! I'm curious how he avoids burning out a stand as well and if the moon helps him to make his stand selections. Wind more often than moon is what dictates my stand selections.