Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

UTV sprayer set up.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I would advise getting a sprayer setup that goes into the bed of the UTV. Those little pull-behinds are okay for yard spraying. But if spraying on a slope or rough terrain, it will bounce and tip and create problems. Mount it higher in the bed, with a boom that sits higher, and it will be more forgiving on rough terrain and also give you better capability when spraying tall vegetation. Keep in mind, nothing says you have to buy a pre-fabbed sprayer. With a little research, you can source all the parts you need and build one custom for your particular UTV model/dimensions without much difficulty. There’s really nothing to those 12V electric sprayers.

740hunter

Coshocton
I would advise getting a sprayer setup that goes into the bed of the UTV. Those little pull-behinds are okay for yard spraying. But if spraying on a slope or rough terrain, it will bounce and tip and create problems. Mount it higher in the bed, with a boom that sits higher, and it will be more forgiving on rough terrain and also give you better capability when spraying tall vegetation. Keep in mind, nothing says you have to buy a pre-fabbed sprayer. With a little research, you can source all the parts you need and build one custom for your particular UTV model/dimensions without much difficulty. There’s really nothing to those 12V electric sprayers.

Thanks for the response jagermeister! You have some good points.

Reactions: jagermeister

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I have a 15-gallon Fimco sprayer with the 2 nozzle boom system from Tractor Supply. Just replaced the pump after 5 years of occasional use. Not the best longevity, but preventative maintenance and babying equipment are two things I don't do, so I guess it's to be expected.

Stressless

Keene, OH
Went thru the same processes as many getting the food plot implements going. I wanted to spray '10'-12' at a time and be able to get the setup to the plots thru some 4' wide trails. I would not reccomend a tow behind sprayer. Brushhog yes, not sprayer.

I settled on the [FIMCO 7 nozzle fold-able boom Sprayer] <- there's a link there. I can attest that if it's extended and you misjudge a tree, it'll just fold to the rear - sometimes it snaps back with the spring, sometimes not.. but it doesn't break.

Takes about 15 secs to fold/unfold. It fits UTV's and ATV's. As for the height of nozzels (the important module) that's adjustable with a couple bolts. The documentation describes the best hieght above the foliage to get even spray distribution. It comes with the manafold with three outputs, one to allow backflow back into the tank (that's what allows you to adjust the spray pressure) one for the Boom and and one for the Wand. I like that almost as much a firm titties... as in a whole bunch as my plots aren't "rectangles" with strait lines, I get the majority with the boom, then take a lap around the edges with the wand and hose the areas I can't get - Also good for if you are spraying for invasive plants (my farms bane is Japanens Knotweed) with this setup I can do my plots and use the 75' of wand to get to areas and kill the shit I hate.... But... I digress.

I upgraded my pump from the one that came with the RualKing tank to a FIMCO model. While chores are a part of a habitat mangers life, I like to simplify and reduce time sucks as much as possible. I found with the FIMCO quick disconnect (Pump and Boom Mounts) I can, in military parlance, go from Flash - TO - Bang, as in Start setting up the sprayer with bare ATV backend - TO - fully setup tank/sprayer/boom and ready for juice in about 5 mins. That's a huge time suck saver.

Folded for trails:
20200427_172501.jpg

Extended for spraying:
20200427_172625.jpg

Note, once you get your plots going, you'll need a brushhog....

Hope this helped some // Stressless

Reagan

Milford, OH
I agree with the others. Two behind is not good for sprayers and in my opinion spreaders.

I had a tank and wand for spot spraying. I wanted to get a boom but decided to buy some hose and fitttings to make my own. Duct taped to a strip of wood and clamped it on the tailgate of the UTV. It worked well, was simple and cheap.

Attachments

• F2CFD633-44C6-46EE-BA56-9EFBD06789BE.jpeg
    F2CFD633-44C6-46EE-BA56-9EFBD06789BE.jpeg
    255 KB · Views: 570

Reagan

Milford, OH
I could post a link to another forum but I’m not sure if that is a acceptable here.

Search up the Lickcreek method or the handle Doubletree. The guy that went by those handles passed away several years ago but he taught a lot of people about a lot about plots. I tried his method last year at my new place and I’m happy with the results.

I wouldn’t keep disking that ground. I have an ATV disk but I’m more into reducing disk and doing more spray and mow. You lose moisture every time you turn the dirt.

Reactions: 740hunter

740hunter

Coshocton
I could post a link to another forum but I’m not sure if that is a acceptable here.

Search up the Lickcreek method or the handle Doubletree. The guy that went by those handles passed away several years ago but he taught a lot of people about a lot about plots. I tried his method last year at my new place and I’m happy with the results.

I wouldn’t keep disking that ground. I have an ATV disk but I’m more into reducing disk and doing more spray and mow. You lose moisture every time you turn the dirt.
This is the only time I plan on disking. Once I get things established I plan on trying to maintain the plot like Jeff Sturgis does. Spraying, over seeding, crimping the summer crop etc.