Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Using 3D Courses as a "Measuring Stick"

I've shot 3D courses for over 35 years and have enjoyed them for a number of reasons.

However, in recent years, I've come to use 3D shooting as a "measuring stick" for how my shooting proficiency is improving or declining. This year has had me switching back and forth with a recurve and a compound. As the year progressed, my shooting improved greatly with the recurve, but while comparing the progress with my compound, the compound was outrageously better.

I was on a Safari shoot at Tomahawk Archers, in Temperence, Michigan, this summer and the yardages stretched out to 74 yards (elephant). Most shots were inside 45 yards. I was using my compound and a rangefinder for each target and only missed 2 kills (10 pts. and 20 pts. scoring system). The same course revealed a much lower proficiency with my recurve.

I started out this year's deer season, carrying my recurve, thinking I was "good enough". While taking some practice shots with a Judo tip, at selected leaves, at typical hunting yardages, I didn't feel as though I should be hunting with this weapon. 3D is one thing, but with the responsibility of hunting, comes owing it to the animal I'm hunting to NOT wound it and get a clean kill.
I have unstrung my recurve and put it in the rack. I really wanted to take a deer with this bow, but the responsibility to the animals I hunt, overwhelms me. :cautious: I will be continuing to bow hunt, but with my compound. (y)

How does the 3D courses effect your shooting and equipment choices?
Thank you, Bowhunter57

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I used to shoot a lot of 3D with trad bows. In fact, I will say without hesitation and with the plaques to prove it, I was one of the most proficient trad foam deer shooters in the country. Even with that, I still carried my compounds to the deer woods. There is no comparison in hunting situations for me. Trad bows are more than effective on game animals. There are limitations. If a hunter has the discipline to recognize and stay within them, no problem. Jamie is a great example. He’s killed animals all over the world with handmade bows.... he isn’t shooting them at 40 yards. My best scoring deer were shot over 40, and they were killed cleanly with well-placed arrows. No way I’d try that with a trad bow.

Without a doubt when I shot at an indoor 3D league a couple years in a row my shot confidence was at an all time high. Haven't done it in years now and regret it to a certain point as shooting dots is good practice but doesn't compare to picking a spot. I've never gotten into traditional shooting but I could see how the compound outweighs the confidence level. I've seen brand new shooters sight their bow in on the first day and be shooting tight groups in no time. Definitely not the same with traditional.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I shot an indoor video league back when I shot compounds. Really kept me sharp in the off season. Shooting at animals (although virtual) really was as close too the real thing as possible.