Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Ty's first season - 2019

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
It's been a long time coming and I am more excited than I ever imagined I would be. It's a different type of excited, though. Maybe it's the what ifs or a few worries mixed in. It's something I have always looked forward to once becoming a father, but never pushed so the desire was self-created. It's finally time...

Our oldest son, Ty, is 7yrs old and will be toting a crossbow this year🤘

He has proven he is dedicated since last season, where he joined me a few times in the blind. Lots of practice with a smaller/lower poundage bow through the summer, working on technique and patience. Today he was rewarded with a Barnett Recruit Tactical and a deer target to finish the last steps. He was nervous for the first few shots but learned to stay settled in until the bolt makes contact.

Screenshot_20190915-145643.png

Hopefully there will be at least a handful of hunting adventures to share in this post this season. It's all on him and his desire now!

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
Awesome to hear this. I can tell you from one father to another, this time of life that your going through has been the best time of my life. Nothing like watching and mentoring your own as they grow with the same passion for the outdoors as yourself. I wouldn’t change one day that I had w my boys except maybe find more days to do it.

The excitement, pressure, adrenaline, joys, letdowns, bonding has no measurement. It’s tops of all scales to me.

Keep it fun, short if it has to be and the moment they tell you “I’m tired, or cold or want to go home....do it. You will have a hunting buddy for life. Well until he gets that smell in his nose so about 2-3 years might be sketchy lol. Enjoy the journey, take 100x more pics than you’d think you’d want. There have been no better kills for than when I was sitting with my boys. It’s about to come full circle. I’m waiting for round two when I can bring my grand babies.... whenever they decide to have them.

Looking forward to the journey.

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
I will say 99% of hunts will be out of a blind. I have never killed a deer out of one, I'm a fan of treestands but I only have 1 double stand right now. Only if he asks and we discuss what will have to go into it (i.e. wearing a harness, climbing w/o me being right behind him, have to move even less) and he agrees. The biggest benefit is the hidden movement a blind allows. It added a sense of comfort for him last year when it got cold up here.

FB_IMG_1568590024060.jpg

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
Being only 7 I took my boys out right before prime time to keep them excited. If we went out early I brought stuff for them to play with or they could sleep until i seen a deer. Ever wake a kid up and try to make the shot count lol? Had plenty of missed opportunities but that wasn’t a deal breaker for me. Having them with me sharing the love of the hunt is much more important. Most times the struggles of getting a kill is what produces drive in a kid and makes them want to hunt harder.

I have a good friend that spoon fed deer to them and they will barely go to the camp. Kill one deer and never come back to the camp till next year. Keep them thirsty they will appreciate hunting more. Just my 2 cents.

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
Just a suggestion. Make sure and tell him to follow through after the shot keeping his head down. He looks like he has the fever, your doing it right!

Reactions: 5Cent

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Just a suggestion. Make sure and tell him to follow through after the shot keeping his head down. He looks like he has the fever, your doing it right!

No worries, that was his first shot with it at the deer. I noted in the original post where his first few on this bow had him antsy till he got comfortable with it. By the end, I had him using the scope to tell me where he hit and then the shot was discussed.