Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Turkey hunt report '17

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
No gobbling on the roost this morning, had one gobbling at. 7:15 so made a move and hid by some trees standing up,had a hen come by at 5 yds if i can get him to do that it would be an easy bow shot.gobbler is out in the field with his whores right now. Lol

huntn2

Hudson, OH
Decided to take my 5 yr old daughter and 7 year old son with me this morning. We ended up busting two off the roost. Made our best effort to circle out in front of them but property lines got in the way. We gave it our best and had a ton of gobbling but couldn't get them to come close enough.

Had lessons on ethical shots (kids didn't understand why I didn't take a crack as one sailed off the roost out in front of us) and laws/integrity as we honored the property boundaries. Saw deer, turkey, ducks, geese and a beaver.

Great memories this morning.

Last edited:

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Ended up spotting those birds that I called this morning. There was 2 longbeards and a Jake with 4 hens in the corner of the field. We moved a couple hundred yards in an attempt to call them in, had a hen at 75 yards but by then it was time to go. They were in the neighbors field the whole morning but I'm pretty sure the one longbeard is the "fool me once bird". He's the one that busted me when I had to let down on my draw. Pretty sure he's still roosting in the same spot, might go after him in the morning 😎

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I'm getting sick of turkeys. Ha.
Took Mason out of school today. Set up under his roost. Hens followed him to the field. There were hens feeding all around, he paid no attention to them. He gobbled at the far corner, hens eventually followed. So we circled around half mile or so. Almost got to where we wanted to be when he gobbled and then walked out. Mason whipped out the chicken on a stick. He started toward us, then three deer came out between Mason and the bird. End of that set up. So we circle again. This time we are within 100 yards of where I though he was heading when he walked out and smiled at us. Aggravated.

We have been in the middle of them nearly every trip and have not had one act right for two weeks!

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Went out after work and hunted till 1.
Never heard a bird,my cousin lives where i hunt and said they have hardly been hearing any now..
Also saw 4 big gobblers in a field feeding on my drive home.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Slow outta the gate this morning but mid morning was good action... Had a few going but wouldn't commit and then moved and peaked out in a very large field only to get busted by a huge ton a hundred yards away and got a good look where he ran too so I'll set up on him before daybreak....
We were working our way back too the truck, stopped and shot the breeze for a few minutes and to listen and sure enough heard two gobbles close by, we were walking on a lane that divides the property but acts as a driveway too them all.... set up just off the driveway and sure enough two toms popped up walking our way, one was good size one was a jake... Eventually one was coaxed out over top of a knoll and my buddy raised up his gun, clicked off the safety and when he raised his head and came up over the top.... It the jake as the mature one never peaked up over it and walked away as did the jake...

Still an interesting morning on a new property....

We'll see what tomorrow brings...

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
was going to go last night when i got off of work but the farmer across the road was planting the field below where the birds had been roosting im still at work right now but about to be heading home to hopefully catch them before they go up.