Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Turkey hunt report '17

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Well done Jake and Morgan!

Here's a classic example of how my turkey seasons go...

Tracie went back to work two weeks ago, so I've been with the girls early in the AM the last two weeks of season. Almost everyday since then, I have watched birds strut in my neighbor's yard. On Thursday last week, I watch one that only has 4 tail feather left in tact, a beard that drags the ground while in full strut, a big around as a 55 gallon drum and spurs I could see through the binos at 125 yards. Saturday morning I elected to hunt the farm rather than behind the house and we never heard a turkey sound. Yesterday I slept in after exhausting myself on Saturday. Around 2:30 yesterday I heard a single gobble and saw that same slunger bird with 2 other long beards out in their yard/field. I thought they were headed to our woods, so I suited up and head that way. Turns out they were heading away from us and had some hens with them. I decided to sit down and call a little anyways. No dice. Well 2 hours later I walk out the basement door and guess who is 20 yards from the tree I was sitting by looking around for the hen he heard earlier?!? lmao

I suck a turkey hunting, but I have fun. Much like I say about fish: I'm not a fisherman, I'm just a man that fishes. Turkey hunting is the same way. I'm not a turkey hunter, but I'm a guy that turkey hunts!

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Well done Jake and Morgan!

Here's a classic example of how my turkey seasons go...

Tracie went back to work two weeks ago, so I've been with the girls early in the AM the last two weeks of season. Almost everyday since then, I have watched birds strut in my neighbor's yard. On Thursday last week, I watch one that only has 4 tail feather left in tact, a beard that drags the ground while in full strut, a big around as a 55 gallon drum and spurs I could see through the binos at 125 yards. Saturday morning I elected to hunt the farm rather than behind the house and we never heard a turkey sound. Yesterday I slept in after exhausting myself on Saturday. Around 2:30 yesterday I heard a single gobble and saw that same slunger bird with 2 other long beards out in their yard/field. I thought they were headed to our woods, so I suited up and head that way. Turns out they were heading away from us and had some hens with them. I decided to sit down and call a little anyways. No dice. Well 2 hours later I walk out the basement door and guess who is 20 yards from the tree I was sitting by looking around for the hen he heard earlier?!? lmao

I suck a turkey hunting, but I have fun. Much like I say about fish: I'm not a fisherman, I'm just a man that fishes. Turkey hunting is the same way. I'm not a turkey hunter, but I'm a guy that turkey hunts!
Classic lol, now you gotta wonder just how big those spurs were! Always next year though, and they'll be bigger!

It was a weekend of carnage up here in Geauga County!

Got my wife tagged out on Saturday morning. This big boy was gobbling his balls off on the limb and flew down just below a little ridge where we couldn't see him. Then the big boss hen came wandering by, saw our hen decoy, and was none to happy about another woman tryin to sneak in on her man. She put on a hell of a show for us as she preceded to attack the shit out of that decoy! In all the ruckus a jake and another hen came in to check out the action, and then the big boy just couldn't help himself. He came in to spectate and the rest is history. Done by 6:08.

Sunday my buddy came up who needed some redemption after missing a bird last weekend, so we hit up my other buddy's farm where he said he was seeing birds every day. Got there around 10, and lo and behold the birds were there. So we put the old comanche creep on em and snuck up to the edge of the field and 2 jakes were standing right there to greet us. My buddy didn't hesitate. Fastest turkey hunt ever, with a total of about 5 minutes in the woods!

Then we decided to go to another part of the property to try and get another. Heard one gobble way off on the other side of the field so we snuck around and got on his side of the field. Heard him gobble again, and he was CLOSE. So we went down the field a bit and got to the edge, I gave a few yelps with the mouth call, he gobbled, and immediately started heading our way. My other buddy put him down at 10 steps. Coulda swore it was a longbeard cause he had a long, mature gobble and a big 'ol white head(couldn't see his beard from our vantage point), but it turned out to be another jake. Still an epic day and an epic weekend in the turkey woods.

Last edited:
Nah....as you can see in the pic it is 2 different guys. They each got one. Not the best description on my part. Aside from the machine guns, copious amounts of booze and drugs we were on, and all the bait we used to lure them in, we were totally legal. :pickle:

Last edited:

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Well I don't know what you look like, but I'll just go out on a limb and say your tall. I guess both of those dudes are on the short side😂