Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Truck tires

Buckmaster

Portage
I’m in the tire market this Spring...need 4 for the F350 with alignment and 3 for the ‘28...expensive Spring amongst taxes too.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I just out six more on our 2000 Dodge. My 2006 is due for 6 as well. They don't get the miles on them Jim is getting but they are tough miles. I swapped the 2000 tires due to weather checking as much as wear. Same goes for my 06 3500. They are starting to weather check although are roughly 8 years old. They are down on tread but the weather checking has me concerned due to the loads it carries. Snow plowing and lots of scrub wearing on the tires from constantly pulling/backing/parking trailers. It isn't always from the miles we out on them. Straight highway driving without so much trailering would get me more than 40-50k miles.

Iowa_Buckeye

Smartest person here
Linn County Iowa
In the hater club here too. I am sure they are great road tires and look sharp, but they suck hind titty in real mud. Had them on my CJ and they would fill with mud and turn into bologna skins. Wouldn’t clean no matter how fast the tires spun.

Reactions: giles

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
In the hater club here too. I am sure they are great road tires and look sharp, but they suck hind titty in real mud. Had them on my CJ and they would fill with mud and turn into bologna skins. Wouldn’t clean no matter how fast the tires spun.
In this situation I would go with the mud terrains for sure. The A/T is great in snow. Better than road tires in mud. Quiet on the road. They aren't "fantastic" in mud though. I'd agree there.

Reactions: Iowa_Buckeye

Iowa_Buckeye

Smartest person here
Linn County Iowa
In this situation I would go with the mud terrains for sure. The A/T is great in snow. Better than road tires in mud. Quiet on the road. They aren't "fantastic" in mud though. I'd agree there.
Agree it all depends on what you are looking for. I replaced mine with Buckshot Mudders. Those suckers would DIG, but you could hear me coming from over a mile away. Not necessarily something you want for a daily driver.

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Yeah thats apples to oranges there and AT KOs are known for not self cleaning in mud. They are a great all around tire, but rolling resistance and weight are higher than compatible models.

Worst reports I have read or experienced in them have been/are:
- Mud, we just went thru this, they are not a mud tire.
- Rolling resistance can drop mpg by a few.
- Heavy tire = longer stopping distance. Most won't know a difference
- Wear like iron on anything but a 3/4+ ton plus.
- Get noisy as tread wears and they like to be rotated a tad bit more than other designs for consistent wear.

BC, my comment was std. regarding the price. These are great tires, and just like everything else, there are plenty of goods with the bads.

Reactions: MoonLab

MoonLab

Where we’re going, we don’t need roads.
Supporting Member
Tooville
Yeah, still looking around before I make up my mind. Last time I bought BF Goodrich was back in 2007. It has been awhile. I'd like to see what else is out there

Reactions: 5Cent

MoonLab

Supporting Member
Tooville
A buddy of mine that owns the shop was trying to help me out and said them BF Goodrich are expensive. He asked what I thought about Mastercraft AXT 2. I've never heard of it.

Quantum673

Black Hat Cajun
Supporting Member
I have run Mastercrafts for the last 10+ years. I have been happy with them. I tried a different brand last set and didn't like them so I am back to mastercrafts. Not only on the truck but all vehicles have them.

Reactions: giles and MoonLab

Chass

The Hills
I know a lot of guys running mastercrafts and like em. General grabbers are also fairly common and I believe low cost

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I think that is what I put on my Tacoma. MasterCraft. Haven't had them long enough to give much input. Quiet on the road. No noticeable wear yet.

Reactions: MoonLab

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I was wrong. I went in for the Hankook tires. They own the Pathfinder line. I could see almost no difference between them and Hankook so I went with the Pathfinders. Having them rotated as I sit here. 12,000 miles on tires. Fronts are 10/32 depth. Rears are 11/32 which shows as virtually zero wear. Not bad. Even wear across the tread.

Attachments

• IMG_20200219_142930.jpg
    IMG_20200219_142930.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 148
Reactions: 5Cent and Hoytmania

MoonLab

Supporting Member
Tooville
I used to have em on my Honda accord back in the days. Not for long. I sold em.