Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Tritonbill's Hunting Log

tritonbill

NE Ohio
Well I had a pretty exciting weekend of hunting! The rut is on in Harrison County, at least the early stages. I hunted Saturday through this morning and each time out I saw at least 1 buck chasing a doe with last night and this morning really being hot action.

Sunday morning I shot a small doe, I just had too get some meat in the freezer and take the edge off a somewhat slow start to the season! The shot was perfect at 17 yards, it trotted up the hill about 25 yards, stood there and within 2 minutes fell over. The scenario was a neat one for me, I watched the doe come in from out in front of me a couple hundred yards total, when I first saw her she across the power line on the far hillside, she came in on a string right underneath my stand and to this stock tank for a drink. The neat thing about this was the tree that fell in this picture has an old wooden tree stand attached to it, my Dad and bro grew up hunting that stand. The old stand was bout 12 feet high, my stand is about 25 feet high so it was always kind of funny when I sat next to this stand last year and I was disappointed to see it go down over the summer.

Shortly after that, about an hour later, a doe came along being chased by a nice 8 point. It came within 30 yards, I got it stopped broadside and I pulled the shot causing me to totally miss the deer! I was very disappointed but that is better than wounding one. The excitement must have got the best of me.

Monday night I ended up taking an old doe that was in the lead, another doe and then a spike buck were hot on her trail. The shot was about a 22 yard shot to my left. The deer stopped for a split second to look back at the spike buck that was chasing her and I let her have it! The three deer raced off and I watched them until they were out of sight and I thought I heard a crash. The placement was good but it wasn't a pass through. That was at 4:16pm and I really wanted to finish out the night in my stand even if it meant just observing. At dark I look to my left and I can saw my Lumenok glowing in the woods about 90 yards in!!! That was a pretty cool moment for me and shortened my tracking job....almost. I went for the truck confident my deer was there and drove back to the corner edge of the woods, grabbed my bow (just in case) and headed to my deer... To my surprise the arrow was lonely but I had good blood on the arrow. I was a little worried at that point, it was pitch black except for the moon. The dogs on the neighboring property 1/2 mile away were going nuts and I was in some thick thick briars. I looked for blood and found one spot about the size of a quarter about 20 feet away. I started to get worried because my headlamp was doing the woods justice and I wasn't finding blood! I walked slowly down the hillside and scanned for blood and suddenly amongst a downed tree I found my doe laying tucked up underneath it like a glove!!! I was ecstatic at that point, #2 doe down for the season :) After getting the deer all field dressed, quite possibly doing the worst job in the world and a cut finger to boot I drag that sucka up the hill back to the truck. My next challenge, getting it in the truck which I did barely. Thank god I had been doing Power 90 all summer because that tried to wear me down, haha! Last night I ended up seeing about 7 bucks and 7 does.

This morning right before light I was greeted with a doe and buck flying underneath my stand. It got more exciting from there with quite a bit of activity. A little while later I had a decent 8 point backtracking the path the doe had ran down earlier and it came right under my stand which I filmed. A little while later I ALMOST shot at 8 point buck, he came from my left, underneath my stand, I did my 'mwapp" sound to stop the deer at 12 yards, and just for some reason something told me not to shoot it! It wouldn't really be an improvement on my last 2 bucks the past 2 years which were 120-125" deer. I ended up seeing 4 bucks and 4 goes by 9:45am and had to go take care of me deer from Monday night since the weather was going to be warm.

I did a terrible job trying to take photos of the two deer. I was by myself and just didn't take the time to set them up well at all. I really felt bad about posting the crappy pictures in the Harvest thread even, that bad!

I did a little filming and posted the videos here: http://www.youtube.com/user/tritonb1?feature=mhee

Good luck out there!