Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Treecoy - Creating a beacon for big bucks.

It wasn't meant to be permanent. Technically, the tree is already dead and it's working just fine. When it loses its tack, then it'll lose effectiveness. At that point, I'll just replace it.

It might not as far as a rubbing post. You've seen pics I'm sure of bucks rubbing fence posts and telephone poles? I'm thinking the cedar smell will keep them coming back for a long time. That's what I have been thinking about doing, get a real long cedar fence post and screwing on a fresh oak branch or two each year.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Here's an another alternative I saw on Whiteknuckle Productions 2-3 years ago. The farmer and contributor to Todd's we show, Ted Miller came up with this idea on the farms he hunts out in Iowa. I've seen several dandy bucks rub them while he's on stand over looking them as he films them. He also positions them so that they are broadside to him at the station and while they are busy focusing on rubbing he's able to move his cameras and draw his bow. Pretty good idea IMO.

Just read the 2nd and 3rd paragraphs and you'll see how he came up with the idea. The guys has killed some amazing deer! I enjoy his contributing vimeo videos on Todd's website. He puts down some great footage TOO!

http://www.mikehanback.com/blog/index.cfm/2011/9/8/Ted-Millers-Horizontal-Buck-Rubs

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
There were some guys on MW who did that this year. Be cool to see how it works for them.

I got to watch a BB rub his face all over this yesterday like he was big man on campus. lmao

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Interesting idea. Only problem I can see is that if you didn't transplant the roots, the tree will soon be dead. I have never seen a buck rub on a dead tree. A dead tree will not hold the preorbital or forehead gland scent as long as a live one, which is what a buck leaves behind on a tree when he rubs it.

I have a cedar utility pole on the farm and they been rubbing it for 5 years. Last I checked, it was still dead.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I'm curious, I bet you could take a fence rail or a post and put it in the woods and strap it to an existing tree near your stand. I bet it would draw some attention.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Where would one acquire a 6"-8" round cedar fence post about 8 feet long?

That would be the ticket.

On my farm as I have 1000's of red cedar trees growing everywhere. I cut down a 3" cedar on Monday and wired it to the T-post I have my small 1" oak sapling that the bucks are hitting hard. Then on Monday I set up a camera on it for night time pictures.
It rained hard last night and can't safety get across the creek to hunt today so will check the cam on Thursday.

Early next year I'm going to get a nice 6-8" cedar tree cut down and plant it where I now have my mock scrap. The I'll drill in some 1" holes at a angle upward to stick licking branches in. Looks like what the Durry brothers do.

Last edited:

Buckmaster

Portage
Shame your not closer Ben. I found about 6 yesterday and 5 of those are 5-6" diameter and 12+ feet long.

That would be the ticket.

I went to Lowes and bought one of those semi round landscaping ties for $ 3.97. It's treated pine. I'll plant that mid day Saturday and put some Evercalm on it.

We'll see what happens by end of season.

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
uploadfromtaptalk1446043047851.jpgmy small woods foodplot has a few saplings getting torn up and this would be a perfect place to try this next season.They have one heck of a scrape started here also.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I have several ideas on how to modify what I started and will certainly share those when I get around to doing it. It's definitely something I'll continue to do in coming seasons.

Bigcountry40

I have heard of this before, but never really gave it much thought until I seen the results you are having. Def going to put a treecoy in next year, I have a perfect spot for this and wanted to say thanks.