Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Train to Hunt TOO Style

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
How do you do it?

Tonight, I threw a coat of UGL on the bag target and plan to spend the next 3.5 weeks shooting "blank bale" so I can workout my kinks form wise. Good first session tonight with my apprentice. Back to basics for summer break!

IMG_20180606_191529_819.jpg

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I don't know if I'll stick to it, but I'm contemplating shelving the compound and bowhunting strictly with my recurve this fall. In order to do that I'm going to have to really work on my form this summer and make it as automatic as possible.

Quantum673

Black Hat Cajun
Supporting Member
I am thinking of buying a recurve or ling biw and starting over. Will hunt this next year with the compound as it will be a while before I am ready to hit the woods with a traditional but I love shooting them so it may be just the motivation to try.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I've never really tried any blank bale practice. I'm sure if I did it would open my eyes as to how shitty/inconsistent my shot sequence and release can be.

I know one method of "training" that I use year round is impromptu yardage estimation. I'll keep my rangefinder somewhat close by when I'm in the house or out woodchuck hunting. I'll pick a specific object and estimate the yardage mentally, then use the rangefinder to determine actual distance. Not only objects in bow range but also 200, even 300+ yards away. This is great practice for all seasons of deer hunting.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I gotta get away from pulling my shots. It's cost me big time the last couple years. Any tips, would the blind bale help?

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I gotta get away from pulling my shots. It's cost me big time the last couple years. Any tips, would the blind bale help?

My opinion is you're "peeking" and blank bale will help, but the same fix can be accomplished on a regular target because you have a follow through issue. Follow through is a mental discipline issue more than physical form or target panic, so the target really has little to do with the fix. However, blank bale is all about fixing form and follow through is the last piece to that puzzle, and most important to shot execution IMO. The part of blank bale I like for working on follow through is that because there's "no target", there's no rush to see where it hit. That said, for learning to "burn the pin" into the target, I like a dot to aim at and then I count "1-2-3" AFTER the arrow makes impact on target. With discipline issues, you may need try a few different methods of correction to find the one that overrides the tendency you're trying to fix.

Reactions: Bigslam51

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio

My opinion is you're "peeking" and blank bale will help, but the same fix can be accomplished on a regular target because you have a follow through issue. Follow through is a mental discipline issue more than physical form or target panic, so the target really has little to do with the fix. However, blank bale is all about fixing form and follow through is the last piece to that puzzle, and most important to shot execution IMO. The part of blank bale I like for working on follow through is that because there's "no target", there's no rush to see where it hit. That said, for learning to "burn the pin" into the target, I like a dot to aim at and then I count "1-2-3" AFTER the arrow makes impact on target. With discipline issues, you may need try a few different methods of correction to find the one that overrides the tendency you're trying to fix.

Its a hard habit to break, but as Jesse said, your most likely peeking. My best shots are always the ones where I watch my arrow upon realease bury in my target through the sight housing. You don't have to hold your pose forever after the shot, but if you can stay in form long enough to see that arrow hit your mark, you'll be better off.

Blind bale helps with this a lot. I always felt that shooting longer ranges really caused me to bear down and focus on the basics. Just gotta find out what works for you and stick with it.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
There are other ways to do it that can improve your shooting form as well and work on mental target focus