Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Tools every man should own

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
Everybody needs a good axe!!! DSC06307.jpg

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
Good list so far. My miter saw, table saw and chain saws get used a lot also. I have just about everything you all listed except the metal working tools. Always wanted to learn how to use the cutting torch and welder but never have. Neighbor has both so that helps.

I also really like my air nailers and use them a ton.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Leatherman. ...use mine every day
Yep. I actually prefer a Gerber multitool because of the "flip" one-handed opening, but I think Leathermans are a bit more stout than the Gerbers. Either way, a multitool, any multitool, should be in every man's tool arsenal.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Jamie talked about organizing boxes for screws and nuts and such - gotta agree, you gotta have expendable hardware at home to keep you from running out to the hardware store every time you have a project. It took me a while, but I'm at a point where often I don't have to go the the hardware when a project pops up - I've bought and keep screws nuts bolts washers, plumbing washers and replacement this 'n' thats and chip brushes and caulk and every other damned thing. If I ain't got it my neighbor does.

Tonite I needed plastic sheeting - no problem, keep a roll of visqueen in the garage. Handy as shit.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Jamie talked about organizing boxes for screws and nuts and such - gotta agree, you gotta have expendable hardware at home to keep you from running out to the hardware store every time you have a project.

I will snap a pic of this over the weekend, but my dad has a sweet set up for this in his workshop. On the main beam supporting the upstairs floor, he screwed the lids off salsa jars on a board and fastened the board to the beam. In the jars he keeps screws/nails/etc. Need something? Just twist off the jar and you got what you need. I keep all kinds of jars/tubs for storage as a result.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I will snap a pic of this over the weekend, but my dad has a sweet set up for this in his workshop. On the main beam supporting the upstairs floor, he screwed the lids off salsa jars on a board and fastened the board to the beam. In the jars he keeps screws/nails/etc. Need something? Just twist off the jar and you got what you need. I keep all kinds of jars/tubs for storage as a result.

I friend who passed away did the same thing but I believe it's a turn about shaft with 3-4 slates. I snap a picture as the wife gave it to me for helping out.

Huckleberry Finn

Changing a headlight last weekend and I realized, despite what I thought, that I do not own an electrical tester.

I do now.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Good stuff Huck. I was wondering if you were growing your arsenal of tools or not since starting the thread.

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member

My dad did the same thing. This brings back a lot of memories being down in his workshop. :)

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Thought of another one for you Huck. You buy this shovel and it is the last one you ever buy. I call it my "mini excavator". I got tired of spending $20-35 on shovels which didn't last. Granted, we have employees and they are heavily used unlike a home owner. Knowing what I know, I would buy one of these and never buy another shovel if I were not in business and a young home owner.

http://www.amleo.com/king-of-spades-nursery-spade-all-steel-13in-blade-with-54in-handle/p/KS12L/

In regards to shovels. . . . If you don't have a snow blower and plan on shoveling your drive and walks, save the $15-25 on aluminum and plastic snow shovels. Spend $30-50 one time on a steel snow shovel. They are heavier but they scrape all the way down and require less effort to continue momentum when pushing across the drive. Well worth the money. My brother and I have had this conversation more than once. He said "Dad was cheap. He did not spend money on good hand tools. He DID spend good money on a steel snow shovel though. I bought one when I bought my house and dad would have saved a lot of money in snow shovels if he bought a steel shovel the first time around." Don't get me wrong, my dad spent good money on wood working tools because he used them often and enjoys them. Screw drivers, socket sets, shovels, etc., my dad never spent a lot. Worked for his needs. Just wasn't his priority. He DID have a steel snow shovel and a couple spud bars though. Still in good shape and he still uses them (even though he shouldn't be.)

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
$112 for a fuggin spade shovel?!?!? I get it that it's high quality and will last... But for that money you could by 11 Black and Decker fiberglass-handled shovels from Walmart. Most homeowners aren't going through 11 shovels in their lifetime. Garage sales are another place to find shovels on the cheap.

You're spot on about the snow shovels though.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
$112 for a fuggin spade shovel?!?!? I get it that it's high quality and will last... But for that money you could by 11 Black and Decker fiberglass-handled shovels from Walmart. Most homeowners aren't going through 11 shovels in their lifetime. Garage sales are another place to find shovels on the cheap.

You're spot on about the snow shovels though.
I agree most will not go through 11. Most will buy 2-3 different shovels at $20-25 a pop a couple times in their lives though. Garage sales can alleviate some of this too. Good call there.