Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

TOO Waterfowl Chronicles

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Saw a few birds this afternoon but not enough to make me wake up early tomorrow. Blitz was disgusted we didn’t shoot any of the 1,738 seagulls that flew over us. 🤣
912B9297-2B76-417D-A8E8-C564A6BCDF47.jpeg
216DD8C3-B3A1-4CC0-AB86-62AC4B090542.jpeg
22302E6D-EFC1-4479-A4BF-42360FB745CB.jpeg
31B367AC-BA68-4E0B-8B37-7501BA22C190.jpeg

Johnny44

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
You know the best part of that post? Even though you’re not killing ducks, I can tell just by looking at your picture that you guys are having a great time. More than likely BS’ing, drinking coffee, telling stories, and making fun of one person or another. That’s what I love most about duck hunting and especially duck hunting with good buddies. The enjoyment of the hunt goes well beyond the pulling of the trigger.

That's about how it went down and you're right, the enjoyment of waterfowl goes way beyond pulling the trigger. We saw some birds and scratched out 2 giant Canadas, but it was slow. We made a good memory on the jump shoot we did after we got off the river. Lots of good laughs and some great 4x4 action in my truck wallering it in/out of the slop to cut down on the walk, nearly getting stuck in the process. The camaraderie that comes with waterfowl is nearly unmatched in the outdoors IMO.

Ohio
97275C6B-6D2C-42AE-B2F2-B11D63C207A1.jpeg

Probably ended our last night of waterfowl season 1 short of our two man limit. Fortunately they decided to head back to the roost before dark. We had a single come in and work the spread right after we set up around 4:50 which worked like a charm. After us not getting on any birds for the past 3 weeks, he took two loads and crumpled in the spread. Right when we figured that would be all we saw, we had two big groups come in 10 minutes before sunset. First group read the script and cupped into the decoys. We couldn’t wait on the second group. We dropped 4 out of the first group. Wiffed on our third shots as they were getting out of there and the second grouper turned around. Would have been great to go 3 for 3 and limit on our last night but man it was a blast and left us longing for next year!

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
Took my dad and brother out this morning. Had a great time making more lasting memories. Finished up with 7 mallards and 2 pintails. And Pops got his first banded duck.
View attachment 142074
View attachment 142075
That’s awesome, ain’t shit for ducks down here. We won’t get them till late February with the weather changing. Great hunt and congrats on the bling!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
When they say "don't doubt the scout", you gotta listen! Two of my close buddies spent the day scouting on Friday and found a few birds in a backwater location that is only accessible by boat when the water is up and it's up after all that rain, so we snuck in there today. It was slow as expected because of the lack of birds overall, but we had a moment of excellent that's what you hope for every hunt. Had a group of 7, 4 drakes and 3 hens, fly over the boat at the treeline around 10:30, no long after we'd gone crazy calling at a hen in another backwater not too far away. I feed chattered into a couple quacks while my buddy chuckled a few times, then we dropped the calls. They flew out to the edge of this 100 yard long strip of water, hooked, dropped the landing gear and tried to sit down in the boat with us! We dropped 3 of the 4 drakes and made the most of the opportunity! Two good hunts to start the season off and if that's all the hunting I get to do this season, I can't complain!

20211212_113022.jpg

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Down in Texas this week and been some spotty shooting but lots of teal. Can’t beat Mature green wing. Hoping for more green heads and pintails
Good stuff Eric!

We are absolutely covered up in mallards and blacks now along the Bay. Major migration peak hit about a week ago. Get ready southern boys… this cold snap might move some ducks your way in the next 7-14 days.

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
He's not bullshitting lol. I seen more mallards in the last couple weeks than I have seen in a long time. Went for a ride today and it's was swans and ice. Hopefully your season will still be in when they make it that far.

Reactions: jagermeister

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
We have until the last Sunday of January. We won’t get the weather needed in time to enjoy a couple hunts. It is what it is. We will just bang out more wood ducks. Would love to sit in a blind and hunt tho