Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

TOO Waterfowl Chronicles

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
I been scouting the last few days but havent seen any birds water just opened back up this afternoon. Gonna hunt a little farm pond this weekend if noboday else is in there.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I love adventure and being on a boat exploring the Mighty Ohio is one damn fine adventure! We saw a TON of geese and learned a little something along the way. Plus, the green lights just make you feel badass! 😂

20181227_170248.jpg

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I've done a terrible job of keeping up with this thread this year, but I've also not hunted as much as I have in the past. To say it's been a struggle for most waterfowlers would be an understatement. It's the worst season we have had in our 6-year history as a crew. Terrible weather and river conditions, combined with next to no migration and worn out locals makes for a long season.

On Sunday, one year to the day from our last 5-man limit, we repeated the feat. We set up 150+ decoys in the rain Saturday evening and lucked out that they were easy to clean off on Sunday. We should have had our limit by 11, but we waited too long to adjust our layouts, so we labored for birds #11-15. After a 3 hour stretch of clear skies, I knew it was time to adjust our strategies so I "pretended to pick up decoys" at 2. We killed our last 4 no more than 20 minutes after I started packing up. Works every time! Even ended up with a band in the mix. We worked hard for this limit and it made a great cap to my season. My wife is on call next weekend and I'm ready to shift gears, so I'm calling it quits until September 1.

IMG_20190120_155322_967.jpg

We had a couple good hunts and now we have a boat, so here's to our 2018-2019 season and let's hope things are better next time!

20181227_141428.jpg

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
I havent hunted much at all this year. Water froze early then when it unthawed there were no birds on any of my spots. Not even seeing them in the fields like usual.

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
Awesome hunts fellas. How many honkers can you kill per person? I hunted Maryland years ago 1 trip and we did good w the greaters. Limit was 2 per person then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Yep, for whatever reason, it is still set at 3 per man. The bird I shot was banded 2 miles from where I killed it. There's been 4 bands killed in that field over the years and all were local bands. I can only recall one winter in the last 4 where I'd be comfortable saying we actually had a good migration and the locals actually left. With all the industrial development we have along the river here, they don't need to migrate.

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
Sounds like a few local birds are being killed during the season. Makes no difference as they are fine eating. The birds we kill, the first thing I look for is jewelry... it’s a waterfowl thing lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk