Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

TOO Projects Thread

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Best use for lathe is kindling. Those babies are like match light charcoal 😬
Funny you say that because I thought the same thing. So I saved a bunch and chopped a bunch into short chunks, specifically for the purpose of kindling. Much to my surprise they actually took quite a bit of coaxing to get going. I don’t know if they have some sort of fire retardant treatment on them or what. I don’t get it… they’re dry and seem like if you stared at them hard enough they’d spontaneously combust… but it doesn’t seem to be the case at all.

Isaacorps

Columbus
Funny you say that because I thought the same thing. So I saved a bunch and chopped a bunch into short chunks, specifically for the purpose of kindling. Much to my surprise they actually took quite a bit of coaxing to get going. I don’t know if they have some sort of fire retardant treatment on them or what. I don’t get it… they’re dry and seem like if you stared at them hard enough they’d spontaneously combust… but it doesn’t seem to be the case at all.
Interesting 🤔. I used to save them from demo jobs all the time. I would split them into long pieces roughly the girth of 2 or 3 chopsticks and they would light right up. It’s certainly possible that some could be treated with some sort of chemical, depending on the specific application. Might have to scrounge a few from different sources and test the theory.

Reactions: jagermeister

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Interesting 🤔. I used to save them from demo jobs all the time. I would split them into long pieces roughly the girth of 2 or 3 chopsticks and they would light right up. It’s certainly possible that some could be treated with some sort of chemical, depending on the specific application. Might have to scrounge a few from different sources and test the theory.
Sounds like a good venture for Strouds.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Excellent ingenuity Phil! Those look much better. Gotta love that old lathe and plaster! 🙄😅
Thanks all. It won't be in any magazines. It won't become any new trend. The use of this material is dated. For this application though? Not a lot of options. I do think it is a significant improvement over what it had. Option "B" was removing all cabinets. Removing all plaster. Hang dry wall. Re-hang cabinets. Option B wasn't really a viable option.

It is a rental. I'm not a slum Lord. I hesitated posting pics because I'm really not proud of what it looked like before. I try to keep our properties at a caliber I would be comfortable living in or moving my mother into. So. . . .these cabinet interiors were way overdo.

Thanks all. It won't be in any magazines. It won't become any new trend. The use of this material is dated. For this application though? Not a lot of options. I do think it is a significant improvement over what it had. Option "B" was removing all cabinets. Removing all plaster. Hang dry wall. Re-hang cabinets. Option B wasn't really a viable option.

It is a rental. I'm not a slum Lord. I hesitated posting pics because I'm really not proud of what it looked like before. I try to keep our properties at a caliber I would be comfortable living in or moving my mother into. So. . . .these cabinet interiors were way overdo.
About the only other thing you could have done, short of pulling them down, would be install lauan plywood in the backs of the cabinets similar to what you did with the laminate. It will definitely do the job Phil.

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
SR 113 just north of us is going through 3 phases of repaving, and we are at a point of needing a top dressing on top of the solid base installed 1yr ago with fabric, then 1s & 2s, then 3s & 4s.

Decided to try millings, 11 loads delivered today (approx 200 tons), I will spread this weekend with a skid and hopefully rolled in a few more weeks (depending on if I need a steel tracked dozer to further breakdown and compact). I am keeping my fingers crossed this works, there are some decent sized chunks, but lots of fines to, and stupid cheap compared to top dressing with 57s, 304s, 411s, or 8s. Not screened, not recycled, just straight from top 2" cut to us. Looking for a finished product of something better than gravel, but less than sealed pavement🤔

20210915_083719.jpg

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
I think you’re onto something, Adam! Looking forward to the finished product

Hoping so, but fearful the big chunks won't breakup w/o a dozer/heavy weight, or it's too late in the year for some nice hot days for it to set prior to fall/winter, tracking pebbles and carcinogens into the garage or house, low spots from parking truck or camper on it, etc.

Hoping @J, or others with experience will share their experiences, start to finish. All my research points to a 50/50 chance of happiness in the endeavor and its a 1 and done shot lmao.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Hoping so, but fearful the big chunks won't breakup w/o a dozer/heavy weight, or it's too late in the year for some nice hot days for it to set prior to fall/winter, tracking pebbles and carcinogens into the garage or house, low spots from parking truck or camper on it, etc.

Hoping @J, or others with experience will share their experiences, start to finish. All my research points to a 50/50 chance of happiness in the endeavor and its a 1 and done shot lmao.
They work great, as long as you don’t get flooding. Then like everything else it’ll wash away. Rolling adds a lot too your prep. With the half dozen loads I’ve gotten the chunks broke up fairly easy. But then again mine was recycled. So there’s the difference.
My problem is getting 2-4” of rain in a couple hours. That’ll ruin anyone’s plans on a driveway.

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
I run a gravel pit. What you are doing will pack in tight but the bigger chunks take some time to break down. I always wanted to do a driveway with it then roll in some 8s on a hot day or light it on fire and roll them in I don't think you would ever have to touch it again. During the summer our asphalt pile gets so hard that you can't dig it with a loader.

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
I run a gravel pit. What you are doing will pack in tight but the bigger chunks take some time to break down. I always wanted to do a driveway with it then roll in some 8s on a hot day or light it on fire and roll them in I don't think you would ever have to touch it again. During the summer our asphalt pile gets so hard that you can't dig it with a loader.
That's what I am talking about! They say spraying with diesel/kerosene/lighting on fire is counter productive since it breaks down the binding agents, and it'll never reach the the 320* mark like needed to fully soften, just the top crust.

She's gonna get spread, broken down as best as possible with a skid steer, even if that means I make a pile of the chunks to break with the bucket offline and use for low lying areas, and then determine if rolling or dozer is needed.

I appreciate your 1st hand experience feedback.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I literally had this convo earlier this evening. Stopped at the local watering hole for my cousin's birthday and his buddy that's an owner/operator trucker got on this topic. I think it would be a sweet add to our driveway. It's like granite now, a good layer of millings to top dress it would be sweet. Plus, the color would be a great bit of curb appeal IMO. Looking forward to your experience and how it looks 👍

Reactions: giles and 5Cent

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I've never had issues with it washing. Getting ready to use some here very soon. I never gave a second thought to the larger chunks. Spread it. Use it. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Reactions: Isaacorps and 5Cent

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Got it all spread, 6hrs of stick time. Targeted 4", but tough to do with the big chunks. Best bet would be to run a dozer over it and really break everything up, then roll it. I'm not gonna do either because it's only a driveway and while I like the color/contrast it adds, it didn't cost near what recycled does and I want to see what a freeze/thaw does to it before putting any more $ into it. Worst case scenario is I top dress it in the spring with gravel and then roll if I don't like how it holds up. Might try the harley rake lightly on it tomorrow after finishing up the front lawn planting. My OCD needs straight edges, that shit is gonna take a while to dress.

20210918_170307.jpg
20210918_170251.jpg
20210918_170056.jpg
20210918_165822.jpg
20210918_165733.jpg
20210918_165712.jpg

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Harley rake in the hands of a good operator would do wonders on the leveling. You'd have to be really meticulous to tidy the edges or you will have dirt flung onto your driveway quick. I'm the first to admit: I own a Harley rake and it is the one attachment I've never gotten "good" at running. Adequate. Certainly not "great." There is a knack to it that I never got. Self level feature on the skid steer might be what I've been missing. I don't know. But good luck tomorrow. You've picked the perfect time to seed. Get that rocked out buddy! Put the seed in the ground.