Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

TOO Projects Thread

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
One of my favorite authors is Michael Pollan my favorite book of his is called A Place of My Own. It's about laying our your domicile in a way that incorporates various views, good and bad, and making proper decisions for placement of new projects. The pic on the top shows the old fence, the overgrowth, a giant Aspen blocking the view, a struggling crabapple, and more. Although a beautiful sunset, it was choked of.

IMG_20190423_200847_571.jpg

I snapped this pic earlier. Tore our 400' of overgrown fenceline, cut down 7 trees, including the Aspen, saved the crabapple, planted 2 apple and 2 peach trees, and gained a more "open" feel. I've put in close to 100 hours simply reclaiming the yard and opening up the views.

20200409_175047.jpg

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I had plenty of gap around mine but they did pull apart. I bought it on sale from Lumber liquidators so maybe it wasn't the best quality either. I don't know. Not hurting anything though since it is a hunting cabin.
Yep, ours will be on an outdoor enclosed deck. Not overly worried about it. Area rug a couch and love seat with an area rug. Ceiling fan above and a 50” tv mounted on the wall.

Reactions: cspot and Sgt Fury

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Love it. Way to see thru your vision Jesse. That is going to be amazing.

Thank you, Phil. This has been my backyard since I was 12. Dad bought the land in 1994, we moved into the house in December 1996. It's a different vision than my father had, but it's doing him good to see me breathe life back into this place. I still have lots of work ahead, but that's part of the fun. After being cooped up for 8 hours at my desk, which is in my bedroom right now, I need to get out there and do some real work! Good for the soul.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
It's a redbud. And yes, it's the perfect spot for a pond and there would be one there if it weren't for the 8" gas line running N/S through us. No real way to properly build one without impacting the line.

Reactions: Buckmaster

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I may call in an OUPS one of these days to have them mark centerline under the pretext that I need to do dozer work. I have some big ideas for this little plot, just need to be patient. I have 20 years minimum.

Reactions: MoonLab and 5Cent

nathan.luthman

Supporting Member
Tonight I started a much needed rebuild on the front axle of my truck. So far I've got tie rods and connector links in. I had to order some new ball joints. While I'm this far into this I am going to replace shocks and possible axle/ hub bearings.
20200409_203650.jpg
20200409_203723.jpg
20200409_203747.jpg
20200409_203807.jpg

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
What I assume is a bearing went out on the old fan. Got all wobbly and noisy as hell a couple weeks ago with lots of slop. It's the original hood, so it lasted 23+ years. New one protrudes another inch, so it'll take some getting used to. I wanted to the high dollar commercial unit, but couldn't stomach the $200 in price tag. Quick, easy swap. One more honey-do off the list.

20200411_102443.jpg

20200411_105018.jpg

twireman

Kingston, OH
Doing a much overdue 12x24 patio behind pool. Will Keep grandparents and others that aren’t swimming from getting splashed. Concrete is ordered for a few weeks away. The front bucket on the Kubota made quick work of topsoil. 3 ton of crushed limestone on top of compacted dirt. I will continue to pack in the limestone until the pour. Definitely a fun solo weekend project outta the house.

nathan.luthman

Supporting Member
I got a little more work done on my truck today since we didnt have any family parties. I have always heard how hard it is to change ball joints in these trucks but I would kinda have to disagree with what I've heard. Now saying that it isnt a super tough task to do but is certainly isnt rocket science either. The hardest part for me was getting the axle shaft out of the housing. Once I got the pulled out the rest went pretty quick.
So for today I put in two new ball joints, checked the universal joint in the front yoke and the wheel bearing. They both are good.
20200412_153428.jpg
20200412_174334.jpg
20200412_174337.jpg

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
Wife and I turned this pile of confusion into a new playset for our girls. Took 6 hours and pretty steady progress, but we did it without too much heart ache and only one "m f'er", which is a sign of success around our house. My wife read the directions and laid out the parts. I basically ran a drill the whole times. The amount of hardware in this thing is incredible!

View attachment 98953View attachment 98952
We had the exact same one years ago. I bought the beer and steaks, and 4 buddies came over a few hours before poker one day and we put it together. Only a few extra parts too👍. The good thing is anytime something needs fixed on it, a few screws and pieces of lumber are all ya need

nathan.luthman

Supporting Member
Got the truck all done tonight. All it needs now is some new rubbers and an alignment. I'm glad I'm capable of doing my own work. Its such a rewarding feeling not to mention the money I saved. I'm probably going to put either Cooper Discover AT/3s or Michelin dueler ats on next. I had Michelins on a different truck I owned and I was pleased with them.

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Reactions: Iowa_Buckeye

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
BX2350. 23 hp, 4WD, hydrostatic tranny. Great tractor, but sadly, today is my last day with it. Dad wants it back. But... my wife is on board with me getting my own. Won't happen for a while, but she now sees value. Lots of ways to show how these pay for themselves and I've done that in the 6 weeks I've had it.