Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

TOO Projects Thread

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
We moved in this house in December 1996. I moved out on my own in 2007, then moved the family in back in November '18. I bet I haven't seen this thing on more than a dozen times. The thermacouple went out a decade ago and my dad never got around to fixing it. I started it last spring and hit a snag getting the thermacouple out. I got distracted by spring and never fixed it. Well, last Tuesday started our furnance issues. We've been with and without heat off and on since then, and out for good since late Wednesday night. The tech came back this evening with the right switch and now there is a circuit board/wiring harness issue. While he was here, I tore back into the fireplace after explaining to him where I got hung up. I stripped it back to the point where I got stuck, did what he'd indicated, reassembled and fired it up. After a Google search, I found the right log placement and now we have fire. Quartz space heater downstairs to maintain a cool 60 degrees, big ceramic heater in our room with the other rooms blocked off. Fan running in the living room to move hot air off the ceiling and a small fan on the table in our entryway pushing hot air back the hall towards the main bath. Holding a steady 71 in the hall and super cozy in the living room. Finally restored one of the nicer parts of our home.

I found this mantle with my mom at an antique shop when I was 13. I remember how stoked she was to find it. In many ways, the rest of the house is designed around the mantle.

20200221_205934.jpg
IMG_20200221_204303_703.jpg

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Ripped out 400' of rusted fence and all the posts today. Also trimmed up our cedar trees in anticipation of starting the dog kennel and dropped 3 maples trees that shade out the back end of the garden. Lots of good firewood and opens it up to grow corn. The yard feels way bigger now too. There's 4 less gates to go through too. I'm pooped!